Author Topic: Summicron-R 50/2, do's and dont's  (Read 2339 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Summicron-R 50/2, do's and dont's
« on: November 22, 2018, 22:01:25 »
Two sample shots from today. The Summicron (Version 2) is a very fine lens, except for the outdated coatings. With strong light sources just outside the frame, you can get enough ghosts for halloween, plus some veiling flare (in addition, this evening was slightly foggy).

The next shot, probably shot wide open like the first one, did not present such problems.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Summicron-R 50/2, do's and dont's
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 22:21:45 »
And now the Summicron-R in full glory. Those low contrast subjects in the shadow are its favourites.
Monument to medecine (and to Louis Pasteur, on the right, who was a biologist, not a MD) in Lille, on the grounds of the former medecine college.
Airy Magnien

Robert Camfield

• NG Member
  • Hello from MadTown
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 22:31:59 »
Airy,

I presume the Summicron is mounted to a modern Leica digital body, or perhaps to a Nikon DSLR with an adopter. Just curious...could you clarify? Thanks, Robert 

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 23:43:18 »
Sorry for omitting that detail. I bought an already converted Summicron-R (Leitax mount). The body is a Nikon Df. Despite some minor issues (reversed direction of focus helicoid, wrt Nikon, and of course the need to stop it down manually), I like because of its rendering. It sits next to the Zeiss 50/2 and the Noct Nikkor in my Pantheon. Three very different lenses.
Airy Magnien

Robert Camfield

• NG Member
  • Hello from MadTown
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 00:26:35 »
Thanks, Airy. The Summicron is notorious for resolution...Robert

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 01:40:16 »
I've never used any Leica lenses on DSLRs but loved the rendition of them on films.  Great and tasty balance between roundness and sharpness.

Their inner coating was prone to fog, but the external coating was so smooth that it was much easier to clean than the coating of other brands.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 08:06:24 »
... which is seldom necessary, given the recessed front lens on the Summicron. A feature shared by the Nikkor 50/2 and Zeiss 50/2, which I like.
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 16:30:58 »
... which is seldom necessary, given the recessed front lens on the Summicron. A feature shared by the Nikkor 50/2 and Zeiss 50/2, which I like.

Yes, the "R" has the recessed front element, unlike the M-Summicron and just like my "Pet".  :)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 23:48:12 »
Two shots from yesterday, at dusk. The place is Lille. First one probably f/2, second one probably f/2.5
Airy Magnien

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 00:20:16 »
Two shots from yesterday, at dusk. The place is Lille. First one probably f/2, second one probably f/2.5

Good separation in the first image between subject and background, without regard to the background itself. Do you think that was enhanced by the light refections of the horns that the subjects had in hand? Image 2, while close to image 1, lacks the advantage of the attention drawing light reflections. I like both imges, but there is a difference to these old eyes. Emphasis on old eyes, and another on old!  :)
Carl

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 12:09:35 »
Indeed, the horns reflection contribute to subject separation. In the second shot, the flashy beanie plays a similar role (colors were not enhanced in post-processing), but to a limited extent.
Airy Magnien