Author Topic: Regte Heide  (Read 30912 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Regte Heide
« on: July 21, 2015, 17:41:17 »
A sort of project: As a kind of  an ''ambassador" of a nature-area, Regte Heide, and one of the administrators  of a Facebook group 'Friends of the "Regte Heide" (https://www.facebook.com/groups/regteheide013/ I post on a regular basis photos in the group, mainly to show it's beauty and get perhaps volunteers on board for all kind of nature-maintenance jobs, organized by 'Brabants Landschap', the owner and caretaker of that region.  At least once a month I try to visit the place (it's a two hour bike-travel and have no car). 

The landscape is unique, there are prehistoric grave hills (approx 2.000 BC), a Moore on high grounds (and an old river-bed of the river 'Maas' very long ago), rain-based lakes (vennen) and a small river which has been restored into a valley with high water-levels) and cannot be trespassed. As it is close to the Belgium border, a kind of no-civilisationground, the whole area has been saved over the centuries. There are not so many visitors during the week and the views of the surroundings can be spectacular and calming.

In May / June the 'Iris pseudacorus' turns up, luckily in increasing numbers.

D700 - Nikkor 28mm 1.8G   F/11

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
Re: Regte Heide
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 21:53:51 »
Wow, nice one John.

Perhaps nice to join up sometime and go shooting together. I do have a car, so that should ease things  ;) I'm in the Eindhoven area.
Hans Cremers

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 22:02:50 »
Iris pseudacorus is a nice species, true. I always enjoy photographing it. Sometimes I find it beneficial to shoot it in unusual directions due to the highly asymmetric flowers.

It is beautiful in UV as well.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 23:19:23 »
John - Regte Heide

explain why that name? what does it mean - real Heide (which is a flower as far as I know) ?
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 00:14:31 »
Wow, nice one John.
Perhaps nice to join up sometime and go shooting together. I do have a car, so that should ease things  ;) I'm in the Eindhoven area.
Thanks, Hans.  Well, good idea. Eindhoven is pretty close.  And I know the area.

Iris pseudacorus is a nice species, true. I always enjoy photographing it. Sometimes I find it beneficial to shoot it in unusual directions due to the highly asymmetric flowers.

It is beautiful in UV as well.
Ah, didn't know that, thanks.  It's growing in wetland here, and to get real close a pair of boots may be a comfort trying different angles ;)  - in this case I wanted the Iris pseudacorus to look 'natural' as a recognition-point for visitors.

John - Regte Heide

explain why that name? what does it mean - real Heide (which is a flower as far as I know) ?
Heide has a double meaning, as it's also in english, I believe.  Firsty it's the area were Moore or Heather grows, and secondly, it's the plant.  Ericaceae in Latin to be precise.  'Regt' it's an old dutch word for straight, like a straight road, or something. It has more meanings.

At least two sorts of Ericaceae are growing in 'Regte Heide'.   The Erica tetralix with flowers in June and is more solitary and the Calluna vulgaris which makes a beautiful purple glow in August. I shall enclose some pictures, first one is the Erica Tetralix.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 23:04:18 »
The grave hills or Tumulus, and their history are very interesting. There are seven of them, six on the highest point, on the west-side near the small river 'Oude Ley'. They were constructed around 1.600 - 1.800 BC  by a kind of Celtic people who lived around in that area.

There were three reasons those hills were constructed. Firstly to bury their people in or below it (humain remains have been found there). Secondly it was therefor a kind of sanctuary, here they worshiped and sacrificed. And thirdly, and that is a bit vague, they are all build along 'energetic lines' (Leylines*) in the landscape.  It is also said the hills were constructed to turn the negative energy into a positive one.

In the case of the Regte Heide it is on the line from Stonehenge to Cologne. Another line goes from Paris (Antwerp) to Nijmegen (Ulpia Noviomagus Batavorum in Roman Time) and further North. Later the Romans constructed the roads also based on those lines (in the meantime roads, I presume).   Any way.  It may be true or not, but each time I visit the place I get 'energized'.    The enclose picture is one of the hills with wooden poles, they are the oldest. Other forms are a circle ditch with a hill in the middle.

*)Leylines = name for energetic paths of energy where Christians and pagan peoples their sanctuaries (and also alignments) placed on . It is a specific kind of energy lines!

smusesuse

• NG Member
  • The Hague, Netherlands
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 23:10:53 »
What an atmospheric capture! I like it a lot.
Suse

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 10:43:52 »
Thanks, Susanne.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 16:51:26 »
After a two hour one way ride ... I'd be tired, not energized. You are a much better man than I John Geerts. If I rode two hours, the only thing I'd want to do is rest for the ride back ... not photography. Thank you for the in depth explanations of the area. It is all very interesting and I want to hear and see more. 
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 18:39:34 »
After a two hour one way ride ... I'd be tired, not energized. You are a much better man than I John Geerts. If I rode two hours, the only thing I'd want to do is rest for the ride back ... not photography. Thank you for the in depth explanations of the area. It is all very interesting and I want to hear and see more.
Thanks Gary.

The ride is interesting, there are a dozen ways to get there and usually have some stops to arrive (relatively) fresh (Shopping in Belgium for instance as chocolate, beer, gas & cigarettes still cheaper there). I think it can be done within an hour in 'racing-mode'.  ;) 

Below one of the roads if you approach the area from the north.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 18:07:39 »
Halve Maan - ven (a Ven is small undeep lake created in the latest Ice-age)  close to the Belgium border. It has the form of half a moon, hence the name. (HalfMoon Ven)  The historic name in the 17th century was ''Swarthoolven' which means Black Hole Ven)

Nikon D700 -- Nikkor 20mm Ai F/3.5

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 18:12:51 »
A great series, with very informative comments... :-) Thanks for sharing...!
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 18:16:57 »
really cool summer feel to the first one. Are you happy with the slightly cool mixdown / white balance?

love the second one too, esp. the daring graphics that make the impression stick. Very nice!

Keep them coming....
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 19:00:43 »
Thank you Jacques and Frank.     Yes, despite the strong light, the 28mm, mid-day and shadows, I wanted to have a summer feeling with a light soft ultramarine blue sky in combination with the sweet yellow of the Iris.

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 20:16:21 »
Great place, and pictures.

It would be nice indeed to join up. From Brussels by car, it is still a shorter ride than what you do on the bike :)
Bruno Schröder