Author Topic: Disabling D3s video  (Read 2732 times)

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
Disabling D3s video
« on: July 21, 2015, 16:19:43 »
On the D800e I effectively disabled video by assigning ISO setting to the red-dotted video button. On the D3s in Liveview mode it more than once happened to me during the last few weeks that I accidentally started video recording. After RTFM I am hoping for a small miracle; has anybody found a way to completely disable video on the D3s??

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Disabling D3s video
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 16:31:39 »
The hard-core solution is using a solder iron on the relevant section of the mother board :D While the video output of the D3S actually is pretty good, it is also non-standard and clients want true HD instead.

Unfortunately, all my friendly Nikon techs are on summer vacation at present, so I can't get them to look behind the curtains for undocumented solutions.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 17:03:33 »
Thanks Bjørn, hopefully there is an undocumented solution.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 17:12:31 »
I'll keep you informed of course.

My main gripe with the video of D3S at its time was the lack of useful EXIF data contained in the file. Only my Panasonics are worse. The modern Nikons are much better, even embedding GPS data.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 19:24:50 »
Hi Eddie, how is it going?

I never managed (nor tried) to disable video capture on the D3s. So sorry, can't help you there.

Hans Cremers

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 20:44:51 »
Hans, she is a welcome addition to the D700/D800e pack. Although the D800e sensor is on many points the better one, I really like shooting with this "measly 12MP huge dinosaur" camera, even more than initially anticipated. Hopefully all goes well with your new D810 too!

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 22:02:24 »
That is good to hear!

I believe i'm doing just fine. I know about the family pictures (which i don't post), i'll let others judge the other stuff i shoot (and do post).
Hans Cremers