Author Topic: Nifty fifties are history, it seems  (Read 2156 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Nifty fifties are history, it seems
« on: September 21, 2018, 17:53:32 »
see for instance : https://nikonrumors.com/2018/09/20/tokina-opera-50mm-f-1-4-ff-lens-for-nikon-f-mount-released-us-pricing-announced.aspx/#more-127405

Sigma 50/1.4 A, Tokina, Tamron 45/1.8, Zeiss Milvus 50/1.4, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, etc. etc. and even the Z-mount 50/1.8

They all have in common complex optical formulas, some of them have AF that increases complexity, etc.

I wonder why there seems to be no [marketing] room for lighter, compact lenses, with less elements but possibly molded aspherical ones, and state-of-the-art coatings. Maybe the "lighter" camera business has definitely been given up, in consideration of improved capabilities of smartphones. Maybe non-50 megapixel-capable lenses would be instantly killed by the specialized press or by social networks buzz (see 58/1.4G).

The days are nearing when I'll move to Leica... (well, not yet, I cling to the 105/2.5 and need the short range focussing capabilities that M lenses do not provide).
Airy Magnien

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
Re: Nifty fifties are history, it seems
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 18:26:09 »
The days are nearing when I'll move to Leica... (well, not yet, I cling to the 105/2.5 and need the short range focussing capabilities that M lenses do not provide).

That was the main reason I shifted from my M6 to Nikon !
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 18:35:07 »

I tried Leica but could not quite justify the cost. Instead I bought heavily into the fujifilm faux rangefinder system. I have been very satisfied with the small fuji metal lenses.
It does not replace my Nikon outfit, but I now take 80% of my images with it. If the GFX had an optical viewfinder option, I probably would be all in fujifilm.
Bez

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 19:18:06 »
I have just thrown in the towel after 10 years with Leica M8 and M9,,, initiated by the launch of Nikon Z7 but when I got the D850 in my hands I could no put it down again, Wow it's truly a luxury upgrade from D810 and I hope it will revive my fun with Nikon and Nikkors ;)
Leica M system is amazing if you can afford/find the good/expensive lenses that fit your style, and yes it's countless times I have run out of close up options with it,,, I had the sweet 105mm f/2.5 Leica Thread mount version, but again then your approaching the focal length maximum for mechanical rangefinder reliability also already at 105mm,,,  :o
High ISO is not possible even with the latest M10  :-\
Since i'm not a Video guy, It's quite seldom I have quotes for it, and for that the D850 is quite capable 4K Full Frame video and the Zacuto Pro finder does the job nicely.

So now all Leica M is sold, luckily it retains the value over time, quite amazing I got the same money for the M9 as I paid 4 years agoSo actually have cash to spend,,, as if I needed more lenses, just found a made in Japan 50mm AF-D f/1.4 that I look forward to take through its paces
Erik Lund

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 19:34:46 »
The manufacturers have decided that ultra high resolution** is what they are going to push in the buyer's mind, and that means retrofocus- and wide angle converter-design 50mm lenses, with the attendant increase in size and weight. The bloated lens barrels required for auto focus seem to have given 'cover' in the marketplace for increasing the overall size of lenses. Someone will, at some point, have a revolutionary new idea to make lenses smaller!

** That is not needed 99% of the time.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 20:34:18 »
Pluton, that's what I fear. As much as I occasionally appreciate the 36mp of the D800, most of the time I'm happy with 16.
Erik, I hope I'll never get the D850 in my hands. My bank account will then be torn to shreds between that one and the Z6, not to mention the fluctuating Leica envy.
Airy Magnien

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 20:42:03 »
I wonder why there seems to be no [marketing] room for lighter, compact lenses[...]
That seems to be the niche that m4/3 has taken, and to some extent Fuji X. In both cases some of their prime lenses are quite large with complex designs, but they have some nice compact options too.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 21:14:52 »
I hear you, Airy.

I used Leica M2/3/4P during the film days.  I enjoyed their compactness as well as simply and neatly designed optics.  I still adore their concept for the simlistic optical design.

But the lenses were prone to fog all too easily under the humid climates.  I don't know if Leica have addressed the problem.  If they haven't, I would never look at Leica, even if I had enough money for that.

I played with Z7 at Nikon showroom in Ginza.  It is very well made.  But, alas, Z7 and 50/1.8 combo is heavier AND longer (even just a little) than my D750 and 50/1.8G combo!  The same goes with EOS-R system.  Their new 50/1.2 weighs almost 1kg.  I don't want to know how "light" the comming Noct is.

Sony FE lenses are getting heavier and bigger.  The rumored Panasonic/Leica/Sigma full frame mirrorles should take the same path.

I really love the 40/2.8 STM lens by Canon, and it proves that a pancake with AF and electrically controled aperture is possible.

I strongly wonder if lenses like MF Nikkors 20/4.0 or 45/2.8 could be modernized by using the modern technology (ED, high-index or aspherical glasses)?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 00:02:58 »
I hear you, Airy.

I used Leica M2/3/4P during the film days.  I enjoyed their compactness as well as simply and neatly designed optics.  I still adore their concept for the simlistic optical design.

But the lenses were prone to fog all too easily under the humid climates.  I don't know if Leica have addressed the problem.  If they haven't, I would never look at Leica, even if I had enough money for that.

I played with Z7 at Nikon showroom in Ginza.  It is very well made.  But, alas, Z7 and 50/1.8 combo is heavier AND longer (even just a little) than my D750 and 50/1.8G combo!  The same goes with EOS-R system.  Their new 50/1.2 weighs almost 1kg.  I don't want to know how "light" the comming Noct is.

Sony FE lenses are getting heavier and bigger.  The rumored Panasonic/Leica/Sigma full frame mirrorles should take the same path.

I really love the 40/2.8 STM lens by Canon, and it proves that a pancake with AF and electrically controled aperture is possible.

I strongly wonder if lenses like MF Nikkors 20/4.0 or 45/2.8 could be modernized by using the modern technology (ED, high-index or aspherical glasses)?
maybe they will be offered by a chinese brand
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 00:32:42 »
maybe they will be offered by a chinese brand

Hopefully a quality brand like Laowa.  The Korean Samyang seem to go the Zeiss way.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira