Author Topic: Eildon Weir  (Read 2061 times)

bendle

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Eildon Weir
« on: July 20, 2015, 07:36:56 »
High in the hills on perfect photography weather, i love these clouds.
L. S. Bendle

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: Eildon Weir
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 08:44:34 »
Amazing sharp view. Dreamery, painterish with effect of the clouds on the landscape and the 'still' of the water.   No wind ?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 08:47:01 »
Here I'm confused as to what the main subject is intended to be? The clouds are nice and occupy half the frame, the regulated reservoir with its washed-out eroded shores is not equally so but the landscape containing the lake fills the other half of the frame. So what is it going to be? You should not leave the decision to the viewer alone.

I suspect part of the issue is not having a long enough focal length to make the reservoir stand out better, or not being able to get closer. Alternatively,  going all in for the clouds and let the hilly landscape just be an anchoring element.

The weather situation is nice for landscape work, I agree to that ... Must be pretty clear air as well to show distant detail with some clarity.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 09:27:02 »
At times thats the problem with photography all the elements seem perfect but a leading motiv is missing.

pluton

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 19:42:30 »
I have many, many shots that are of a given scene, but with no single subject.  I still shoot them, but I'm trying to cut back.  Sometimes one is very eager to fire the camera at [almost]anything.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 21:42:14 »
I've looked at this a couple of times now. For me, the star is the golden shore line on the right hand side, but it's not a grande dame. So, i understand the other remarks about not having a "dominant" subject.

However, i'm not sure what's happened to the image, but to me it looks oversharpened. Could be me, or the compression on this side (if there is any), but it kinda gives me an uneasy feeling.
Hans Cremers

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 21:44:17 »
Is this flowing water?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 21:45:18 »
Or long exposuretime?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 21:49:03 »
Just wind buffeting the water surface.

Reservoirs are non-natural anywhere in the world, leading to the ugly eroded shores, but their water behaves normally :D

bendle

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 01:43:53 »
I photographed a tiny section, as it is 3885 square kilometres in size. The colour on the lake edges is clay. Is has several rivers running into it, the main river
flowing into the weir is the Goulburn and is used as irrigation. I don't think photo is  over sharpened as the bush surrounding the lake is very dense.  Thanks for your comments.
L. S. Bendle

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 06:57:20 »
Reservoir? I see a very interesting water surface and a bit dull mixdown which is perfectly fixable.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

bendle

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 08:15:09 »
The surface is being blown by the wind that is why it looks strange.
L. S. Bendle