Author Topic: Possible Project? Double XQD in D500 & D850  (Read 3880 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Possible Project? Double XQD in D500 & D850
« on: September 15, 2018, 14:52:27 »

Hi you Dremel-Artists!

Since I got my D500 in 2016 and the D850 in 2017 I think: What is that SD-Card-Slot for? In Backup Mode (only sensible mode?) it slows down the camera significantly and I got all of my XQD cards in pairs.

It is a service offered by Nikon to switch a D5 from Double XQD to Double CF and vice versa.

Would it be possible to switch the D500 / D850 from XQD/SD to XQD/XQD?

And if it is possible and not offered by Nikon, could a Double XQD cardbord for the D5 fit into the cardbord-slots of named cameras?

If we cannot do it, could we petition Nikon to offer the switch as a service and who would be interested?

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas!

Frank
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Possible Project? Double XQD in D500 & D850
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 15:07:30 »
Have you used a seriously fast SD card?  The SD slots on both D850 and D500 are compatible with UHS-II, and a very fast UHS-II SD card shouldn't be that lagging compared to XQD.

Of course, I would agree that the double-XQD slot is a more desireble solution, but I don't think installing it into the existing D850 or D500 works.  It is not only about he mechanical part (slot), but also abou the controler chips on the circuitboard of the camera.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 19:40:53 »
My SD cards are Samsung 90MB/s (real measured performance). The 2933x by Lexar are 210MB/s (real measured performance).

I would imagine the cardboard module is the same for all three 5th Gen cameras, but I can be mistaken. I do not know if the electrical connections and circurity are on the cardboardmodule or in camera of course.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 20:13:24 »
One XQD card is sufficient. As Nikon already knows. Next Nikon will, may be, have no cards anymore. Even phone SIM cards will disappear. Cards are a source of errors and are eating up precious space.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 23:19:00 »
My SD cards are Samsung 90MB/s (real measured performance). The 2933x by Lexar are 210MB/s (real measured performance).

That would be as fast as the "UHS-I" could go.  For example, Sundisk Extreme Pro "UHS-II" cards are rated at 300MB/s (read) and 260MB/s (write).

Apparently, Samsung doesn't make any UHS-II SD cards.

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 09:31:04 »
Quote.....What is that SD-Card-Slot for?

Its for people like me who shoot weddings and do 2 frames per second to avoid blinkers ...after each group or pose there is loads of time to clear the buffer ….can we have a conversion to 2  SD cards please.
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 10:53:22 »
Quote.....What is that SD-Card-Slot for?

...can we have a conversion to 2  SD cards please.

Certainly, buy Nikon and you can have as many SD slots as you like, till then like the rest of us you will have to go with the flow...

I really don't get this 'wedding photographer' thing. There are many other branches of photography for which bringing home good image files is imperative. What makes the wedding photographer so special?  In many cases the happy couple will be divorced in six months and the album consigned to the bonfire.

In my own case I travel long distances to photograph particular flowers some of which are only at their peak for a few days.  I have had poor exposures occur, largely my fault I admit but those pictures are almost irreplaceable for me.  It can and does happen, 2 SD slots won't prevent it, I never had a failed card in 18 years..
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 09:24:39 »
Just an example to counter the "an SD card will slow down the camera"    concept ..for many its no a problem but having one card is.
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 09:29:22 »
That would be as fast as the "UHS-I" could go.  For example, Sundisk Extreme Pro "UHS-II" cards are rated at 300MB/s (read) and 260MB/s (write).

Apparently, Samsung doesn't make any UHS-II SD cards.

ratings and real performance tend to fall apart significantly. In the case of Sandisk the difference was larger than in the case of Samsung according to my and other people's measurements

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 10:02:50 »
ratings and real performance tend to fall apart significantly. In the case of Sandisk the difference was larger than in the case of Samsung according to my and other people's measurements

I know, but these two formats are of different generations, so the newer should be significantly faster than the older, so long as the memory controller in the camera is compatible.

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 11:18:23 »

In that case, I would be interested to learn about (1) the methodology & protocol you used, together with the resulting measurement data; and (2) who are the "other people" ?
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 11:29:47 »
try it yourself:

https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539

and look up test results of that program published by veryfied customers on amazon

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 12:08:18 »
try it yourself:

https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539

and look up test results of that program published by veryfied customers on amazon

As far as I can understand, this software only assesses the real size of the medium (not the speed / write performance) "Die Software findet heraus, ob ein Speichermedium tatsächlich so viel Speicherplatz bietet, wie vom Hersteller angegeben."
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 13:04:28 »
As far as I can understand, this software only assesses the real size of the medium (not the speed / write performance) "Die Software findet heraus, ob ein Speichermedium tatsächlich so viel Speicherplatz bietet, wie vom Hersteller angegeben."

I used it several times. it writes it reads and in the end it reports average write speed over that whole medium and average read speed as well. It needs some time for big mefia and you have to make sure that your computer system and interface do not limit the performance.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 13:06:03 »