Author Topic: A short trip to Scotland's north-east (Images added)  (Read 4232 times)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
A short trip to Scotland's north-east (Images added)
« on: August 28, 2018, 22:44:50 »
We visited my brother who is retired but still lives on the farm where he worked. Part of the farm buildings burned down recently.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
Re: A short trip to Scotland's north-east
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 23:00:00 »
Very nice overview Dave!

I like the cows, how could i not like them!?
Hans Cremers

basker

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 23:01:55 »
Nice mixture, quietly informative, and I enjoyed it very much.
Sam McMillan

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 23:17:59 »
Great moody pictures ! Sad that part of the farm burned.
Weird trusses in the barn, we don't do them the same way here  ;) Do you know about John Macpherson (DuckRabbit) a nice photographer, a Fort William "native"  ;) ( I tend to like his blog reminding of my several stays at Mallaig and in the wilderness of the shores of Loch Nevis).
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 23:18:47 »
Thanks for sharing David. Hope you are all doing OK. Our paths must have crossed, we have just returned from Skye.

We went to the Quiraing, cloudy skies so no star trails.  Didn't need to go right up so low risk in the dark.

Take care,

Robert
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 23:22:53 »
Weird trusses in the barn, we don't do them the same way here  ;)

I spotted that too Jacques, my take is the tie beams had to be cut out and replaced higher up due to health and safety requiring roll cages on tractors used to clean out the shippon (cow shed).
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 00:38:20 »
Thank you, Hans, Sam, Jacques and Robert.

Jacques - I don't know DuckRabbit and his blog but I'll certainly have a look. I know the Mallaig area very well - we had a cottage at Morar for ten years - and Loch Nevis a little less well; it really is one of Scotland's wildest areas.

Robert - nice bit of deduction!

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 01:22:38 »
I spotted that too Jacques, my take is the tie beams had to be cut out and replaced higher up due to health and safety requiring roll cages on tractors used to clean out the shippon (cow shed).
I agree, but even in that case, we would have made a triangle of those two ex tie beams. We call that "une ferme en écharpe" ( a scarf truss )  :)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 01:27:20 »
Jacques - I don't know DuckRabbit and his blog but I'll certainly have a look. I know the Mallaig area very well - we had a cottage at Morar for ten years - and Loch Nevis a little less well; it really is one of Scotland's wildest areas.

Ah, wonderful scones at a tea room in Loch Morar  ;D Did you spot the "other" monster of this Loch  8) I used to be a guest of Jim Jarvis (there's a row in his name now in Mallaig)!

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 01:41:15 »
Interesting series, David, as your work is always is.
Carl

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 10:17:54 »
Thank you, Carl - you are very kind.

Jacques - unfortunately I never saw "Morag" and I don't think anyone else did, either! But the story may have increased tourism by a fraction, as was intended.

This is the aftermath of the fire -

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 11:17:41 »
Mmmm not good,  >:(  slates may be worth salvaging but a lot of hard work.  Down here salvaged slates are in strong demand due the the eye watering price of new slates and the requirement by the planners for authentic local slates as replacements during re-roofing.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 12:10:37 »
Mmmm not good,  >:(  slates may be worth salvaging but a lot of hard work.  Down here salvaged slates are in strong demand due the the eye watering price of new slates and the requirement by the planners for authentic local slates as replacements during re-roofing.

Yes, I did wonder about the slates - a hard day's work for two people would recover all that are useful, I think.

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 12:35:20 »
In any visit to my brother, we always spend a day at the seaside - in Killin,we are as far from the sea as is possible in Scotland, so we both enjoy the change of scenery. The images were all made close to the little town of Cruden Bay.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: A short trip to Scotland's north-east (Images added)
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 12:58:02 »
The vista of surf and rocks
make me want to be there
smell the water and the earth
hear the waves and the birds...

oh gosh, how beautiful is your country
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/