Author Topic: DJI Mavic 2 Pro announced  (Read 6386 times)

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
Re: DJI Mavic 2 Pro announced
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 23:44:56 »
Thank you for this thread Jan Anne   ....I thought a drone that could deliver reasonable/acceptable still image quality, would be overly complicated/expensive. The Mavic 2 seems to be relatively easy to purchase and operate. Looking forward to hearing your experience with yours when it arrives. It is also good to hear from the experienced Bjørn J, recommending it also.

If it all works out for you, I expect to not be able to resist purchasing one for myself. It seems strange the new Z camera's are not capturing my interest, but this certainly is!

Cheers 
Bez

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 23:55:49 »
Didn't order the separate Fly More Kit yet with the additional batteries, propellors, car charger, etc but will later.

Back then the original Mavic Pro could only be ordered as a standalone item or bundled with the Fly More Kit and the latter option became available weeks or even months later. As the Fly More Kit is now available as a separate item the plan was to order them separately to prevent any delays with the drone itself.

Probably a little paranoia from my side but so far it seems to work as planned  ;D
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 00:17:41 »
It seems strange the new Z camera's are not capturing my interest, but this certainly is!
I hear yah Bez, we both have been shooting mirrorless for a while now and the Z cameras don't offer any new capabilities over what we currently have to justify the rather big investment to jump ship whereas the Mavic 2 Pro will provide a new capability and totally new photography experience for a smaller fee (for those whom still have a full set of Nikon glass it might be a different proposition though).

It's inevitable that I'll go all Nikon again as this is the brand where my heart is but it will probably take some time to materialise...

A few more remarks that I'm watching a Trinitron TV when I'm trying to photograph you with My First Sony might help to speed things up though  ;) ;)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 01:10:05 »
If I had to suffer the embarrassment of using a Sony, then a Z would already be on order!!! :-)

I am kind of happy with what I have fujifilm/Nikon. But if the very nice looking S lenses are a big step up in performance, as suggested. No doubt I will then be interested in a camera to use them with.

Cheers
Bez

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 22:07:51 »
Thanks for the encouragement Bez, really appreciate the push in the right direction  ;D ;D
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Patrick Berg-Pedersen

• Nature and Landscape Photographer, Educated as a press Photographer for almost 30 years ago.
  • NG Member
  • You and me, -Are the real legacy of Nikon
    • Patrick Berg-Pedersen
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 14:36:52 »
Such a pity that the M2 drones don’t have a mechanical shutter option though! Good luck with unbending those poles along the way....😉😊
And as far as I know, it’s the same Sony sensor on my P4 PRO + as the M2 with the Hasselblad cam. How much Hasselblad it really is, is another discussion. I’m betting Hasselblad just did some tiny "adjustments" on the P4 pro cam and wrote Hasselblad, DJI will without doubt make money of the Hasselblad name.
"The colour of light is almighty, it gives us not only day and night but the entire shape of life" - Patrick Pedersen

-Proud Nikon FE2 owner since a age of 9!-

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 15:50:09 »
Last Tuesday the drone was delivered and today I managed to find so time for the maiden flight after dealing with things like reading the manual, firmware update, etc.

First impressions are very positive, especially the low noise the drone emits, you could barely hear it 30 meters or so away. Its rather windy overhere at the moment but the little drone was very stable in the high winds.

One of the buzzards came in to inspect but didn't have the memory card installed so it wouldn't take an image (thought it had onboard memory?), something I need to take off for the next flight I guess.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 16:41:45 »
Congratulations is in order! Wow sounds amazing, looking so much forward to seeing it live  ;) I thought it had onboard memory as well,,, two card slots I guess  :o :o :o
Erik Lund

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2018, 20:37:41 »
Found me a micro SD card and fooled around with the camera a bit, the setting sun was perfect for testing the flare resistance of the "Hasselblad" camera.

There's some flare but the kind I like to add some juice to an image, so a pass for now :)

Composition wise I should have turned a little more to the right but was more focussed on timing the three trucs passing by which I somehow also screwed up ::)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2018, 20:45:08 »
With the sun out the frame everything seems nice and sharp.

The default focus area seems to be in the middle of the frame but can be changed by tapping another area on the phones screen. It does reset itself to the centre again which is kind of annoying, probably a setting I need to change somewhere.

Attached an image of my humble little "farm" surrounded by grasslands, fruit trees and actual farms as far as the eye can see.

And yes thats me in standing there in the driveway ;D
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2018, 21:01:51 »
JA, your homestead is easily recognisable from air :D

The new car is white?

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2018, 21:42:58 »
The new car is white?
Yup, and with half an engine compared to the 6 cilinder 130i Bimmer I traded in but thats the way forward apparently to keep fuel costs in check ::)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2018, 22:15:56 »
it is still capable to propel you over to Rhenen for an evening dinner with me and my daughter next week -- Or managing all the way to Photokina/Cologne?

We have to make an NG Crew shot with the drone, if you can make it come close and at the same time avoid attacking us :D

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2018, 01:23:04 »
There is a nice precence in the images, a nice uncomplicated rendering ;)
Erik Lund

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2018, 18:47:51 »
During day time the image quality doesn't seem to be all that different between the Zoom and the Pro models but in low light the Pro pulls ahead very quickly due to the benefits of the 4 times bigger sensor.

Here's a rather good low light review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDxGGEUFVIg
Cheers,
Jan Anne