Author Topic: Paris-Lille with the Zeiss 50/2  (Read 1383 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Paris-Lille with the Zeiss 50/2
« on: August 21, 2018, 22:10:48 »
As charming as the Noct may be (and more about that soon), the Zeiss 50/2 combines best sharpness with best bokeh, in my present lineup. If it were f/1.4 (and had AF, and did not cost an arm and a leg), everybody would rave about it, I guess.

Here the Milvus version again, bought 2nd hand, lucky me. f/2, f/2.8, f/2 IIRC.
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Paris-Lille with the Zeiss 50/2
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 02:34:49 »
I like the cameo-like composition of #1.  The last one is a nice representation of smooth bokeh.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 10:08:53 »
Very nice compositions - A true Bokeh pleasure as well  8)
Erik Lund

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 13:25:52 »
Hi Airy, good stuff! Do you know if this lens is different from the 50 Makro?

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 18:08:57 »
Hard to tell. According to some internet sources, including this one : https://diglloyd.com/prem/s/ZF/publish/50f2Milvus.html?dglyPT=true it is the same optical design. The housing is quite different (and I do not like the new "style").
The Milvus has a gasket at the rear mount, and a very big lens shade which I never use. The front lens is recessed enough.
The main, massive differences are:
- better coatings. The ZF2 definitely has a "warm" / yellowish cast. The Milvus is pretty neutral.
- much reduced flare on stopping down. This was my only big issue with the predecessor, and I published a thread about that: shooting against the light (my usual case: pipe organs next to a big bright window) gave good results at f/2, but flare increased on stopping down. Not sure about the issue and the way it was solved, but reflections on the diaphragm blades may have been an issue.
In an issue of a German magazine (FotoRevue) with an article on macro lenses, both were analyzed, and the ZF2 was ranked sharper, while others come to opposite conclusions: sample variation? DxO also indicates some differences, esp. sharpness and vignetting wide open, rather in favour of the new version.
Bokeh-wise, they look the same, i.e. excellent. Also, LoCA is negligible, quite important for my taste.
In any case, whatever the version, this is my best "50", one stop ahead of all others in terms of sharpness. The Summicron-R and Noct Nikkor offer some magic of their own, but do not perform quite as well at f/2, and their coatings are not at the same level.
Airy Magnien