Author Topic: Z-Noct-Nikkor 58mm f0.95 lens rumoured  (Read 2440 times)

chambeshi

Z-Noct-Nikkor 58mm f0.95 lens rumoured
« on: August 14, 2018, 07:59:50 »
NR just announced high likelihood of the Z-Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/0.95 lens! This will be  and it will be announced after major Mirrorless press release of August 23rd.  This fast 58mm will be the fourth Z-mount lens

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/13/breaking-nikon-z6-and-z7-full-frame-mirrorless-cameras-and-three-lenses-coming-on-august-23rd-z-noct-nikkor-58mm-f-0-95-lens-to-be-announced-later.aspx/#ixzz5O85BykP2

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Z-Noct-Nikkor 58mm f0.95 lens rumoured
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:29:36 »
By now it looks like a new Noct will actually happen, now lets see if they go all the way with Super ED and Nano Crystal coatings and ring type AFS  :D
Erik Lund

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 09:32:58 »
Glad they didn't call it an "X" lens, as is commonly used by many other manufacturers. Maybe Nikon went for "Z" to be the last word (letter) on optics :o

The camera lens mount is reassuringly large, with plenty of space around the sensor for allowing fast lenses (such as 58 f/0.95). The Sony mount always looks too small, it barely clears the corners of the FX sensor, it looks like it was designed for DX and later they squeezed the FX sensor in.

Why is f/0.95 so common among super-fast lenses. A simple f/1 aperture seems much "cleaner", but I guess marketing likes to brag about a lens faster than f/1.

On the camera, the lack of buttons around the rear LCD suggests it tilts out and has a touch interface. Overall it looks like a solid product.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 09:45:46 »

The Sony mount always looks too small, it barely clears the corners of the FX sensor, it looks like it was designed for DX and later they squeezed the FX sensor in.

this was my impression of it several years ago. it felt like an afterthought  :o :o :o

i am thinking that Nikon just ran out of letters in the alphabet ::)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 09:50:57 »
The numbering scheme is logical: D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, Z6, Z7, ...

As to the "Z" it is a strong character in most languages.

After getting hands-on experience with the new system I probably order the Z6 or whatever it ends up to be named.

I wonder whether it can be converted to full-spectrum UV/IR?

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 10:14:32 »
After getting hands-on experience with the new system I probably order the Z6 or whatever it ends up to be named.

:o :o :o
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 10:26:03 »
The Sony mount always looks too small, it barely clears the corners of the FX sensor, it looks like it was designed for DX and later they squeezed the FX sensor in.

And now it employs the image stabilization by moving the sensor around.  I don't know how it is possible!

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 11:16:23 »
The numbering scheme is logical: D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, Z6, Z7, ...

I find it hard to believe that they'd produce two single digit bodies at the same time let alone with fully professional build to continue that line (and by proxy not make a D6 at all). I think it's more likely these cameras would be closest to D750 and D850 in features and a bit smaller in size, but with some unique capabilities. If the lower resolution camera is able to beat the D5 in speed and AF then this kind of naming might be appropriate but I doubt that.

As to the "Z" it is a strong character in most languages.

It exists in the Finnish alphabet but no words in the Finnish language actually use it. I find it hard to pronounce. I suppose the implication is meant to "see" (close to the pronounciation "zee"; the other English pronounciation would be "zed") with the new cameras. "Tset" is how we typically pronounce that letter and I can image the troubles with that.

I would hope they actual naming of the products is something else.

I think the recent rumors of 24-70/4 and two f/1.8 primes seem very good choices to start a new line; the smaller apertures and a bit thinner and narrower body would lead to a more compact kit than DSLR, which is what most people seem to desire from a mirrorless, and then a crazy-all-out 58/0.95 to say that they want to offer something takes advantage of the new mount. I wonder if they can avoid cat's eyes entirely or if there will still continue to be those.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 11:19:46 »
I'll see (Z) in a few days' time what Nikon is up to.

Nikfuson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 11:29:00 »
I am currently number one on my dealer's list for the Z6. The Z-Noct will have to prove its value (optically and monetary) before I order it. A modest 1.8 lens will have to bring the first light in.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 14:13:40 »
Always have been a fan of fast lenses so might be hard to resist a 58mm f0.95.

Might be a nice addition to the 50/1.2 and 85/1.2 :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 18:56:50 »
Glad they didn't call it an "X" lens, as is commonly used by many other manufacturers. Maybe Nikon went for "Z" to be the last word (letter) on optics :o

Roland, don't forget "Omega".  :D