Author Topic: The F mount adapter quality will be the key part…  (Read 11753 times)

Stany Buyle

• NG Member
  • I used to think Nikon forever but now Canon user..
    • nikonuser.info
The F mount adapter quality will be the key part…
« on: July 25, 2018, 16:42:24 »
Hi everybody!
(I've written this topic on my website, but I would like to share some thoughts on this subject here as well.)

Months ago I have been told that “my complete Nikon lens lignup” will work perfect on the future Nikon FX ML with a sophisticated lens adapter for my F mount lenses. Today’s Nikon' announcement- “….Additionally, a new mount adapter is being developed for the new mirrorless camera. This will work with the F-Mount NIKKOR lenses that are part of the Nikon digital-SLR system, adding to the variety of choices for photographers. …..”- confirms this.
My beloved old and even prehistoric lenses together with the new ones which all work flawless on my Nikon dslrs, have always been the reason why I even never considered a move to Sony or Fuji ML, and Nikon seems to understand very well that millions of Nikon users think the same about this.
Whatever somebody likes this evolution or not, even the diehard dslr owners have to agree that the harsh shutter and mirror slap sound has never been funny or usable during a wedding or a situation where silence is advised or required…

With Nikon dslr vs Nikon ML, I see some similarity with my diesel car which will become obsolete soon, to be replaced by an electric or hybrid one… Difference is that I will have a free choice for photography gear while about car choice it will become an obligation.
In the very near future and for myself, I see Nikon ML as complementary to dslr, not as an immediate replacement…
If Nikon will bring two ML versions like Sony did with 7S & 7R, I'm in for one of the first batch of the lowlight version. The Nikon ML “noct” will become my wedding/silent/lowlight camera. Next to that my D850 will serve for action, wildlife, landscape and macro.
But, if,-as I expect-, the upcoming Nikon FX ML will beat my current D850 and other dslr’s on about everything (AF, AF field coverage, weight, compactness, portability, overall speed, big high resolution touch screen, features,…) , and If the adapter is really as good as I was told it will be, I might go totally ML.

ML is the future, and the F mount adapter quality will be the key part to make Nikon FX ML a success story or not.

Just my thoughts...

Thanks for your attention and kindest regards,
Stany

benveniste

• NG Member
  • I think, therefore I am. I think.
Re: The F mount adapter quality will be the key part…
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 16:52:19 »
Note the qualifier:  "that are part of the Nikon digital-SLR system."

I read that as saying that Nikon will not be building a motor into the adapter.  I also wonder what level of support will be provided for non-CPU lenses.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 16:56:01 »
Completely agree. If image stabilization is built into the body then even old manual lenses gain an extra stop or two of usefulness (depending on subject).

I can imagine a number of things which can happen in an EVF which would make using them easier (on demand magnification (maybe that is what the knob is for), focus indicators, exposure warnings etc.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 17:29:36 »
if it works at least as the FT-1 adapter for the 1 system I'll be happy
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 05:42:27 »
Low scene lighting levels are one situation that the ML model should be advantageous for.  And... I think only of manual focus use.  If the AF works well, even better.  Many users are concerned about AF speed.  Does any existing ML camera match the AF speed of the best Nikons and Canons?
The potential of the new camera for silent or near silent operation is also of interest.
I'll be looking to see what Nikon may have done to make the EVF more usable in bright ambient light, a situation that challenges the best EVFs so far.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 09:08:32 »
The Nikon 1 series have pretty good AF-C performance in daylight.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 14:32:33 »
Maybe I should resume the CPU project for manual F-mount lenses?  A 'mirrorless' Nikon might make chipping older lenses attractive once again.

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 16:13:11 »
Great idea, Birna. I would even support it with a firm order, if it can help with the financing.
Bruno Schröder

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 17:42:58 »
Well, first we have to ascertain whether having a CPU improves the interoperability of older lenses on this new camera.

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 20:08:22 »
Indeed but as far as I'm concerned I'm interested anyway, regardless of the new mirrorless.
Bruno Schröder

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 20:52:07 »
Maybe I should resume the CPU project for manual F-mount lenses?  A 'mirrorless' Nikon might make chipping older lenses attractive once again.

I hope that the adapter is such that it would be attractive. I have a stack of unchipped AI and pre-AI which would benefit.

Stany Buyle

• NG Member
  • I used to think Nikon forever but now Canon user..
    • nikonuser.info
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 21:15:21 »
An interesting reaction from Iliah Borg.

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 21:25:27 »

That would be nice, I still have a few candidates.  ;D
Chris Dees

dibyendumajumdar

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 22:48:53 »
I wonder what support if any there will be for automatic aperture given that vast majority of F mount lenses, present and past, require a mechanical linkage. Maybe Nikon will put a small motor inside the adaptor for this.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 01:12:24 »
Indeed but as far as I'm concerned I'm interested anyway, regardless of the new mirrorless.

So am I.