Author Topic: Arrival of Nikon mirrorless (finally!)  (Read 44362 times)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Arrival of Nikon mirrorless (finally!)
« Reply #270 on: August 22, 2018, 01:23:23 »
Link to original photos of cameras, lenses and adapter (camera side only)
https://www.nokishita-camera.com/2018/08/z6z7.html

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #271 on: August 22, 2018, 04:15:27 »
Agree that the thin focus ring on the 24-70/4 is not desirable.  I like the tilting LCD on both bodies, though. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #272 on: August 22, 2018, 04:23:26 »
Any word on  what the "s" on the lenses indicate?
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #273 on: August 22, 2018, 04:26:42 »
Any word on  what the "s" on the lenses indicate?

The same Nikon nomenclature should apply: supersonic wave motor.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #274 on: August 22, 2018, 04:31:52 »

Thank you, Jack, for the link!

My wild guess is that both 50/1.8 and 35/1.8 utilize the same optics as those of AF-S siblings.  :)

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #275 on: August 22, 2018, 04:46:37 »
And with the inclusion of the all important "AF-on" button, many current internet detractors (I'm being generous), will have to seek new reasons for concern -- barring any practical experience with the new system. For the rest of us, provided the camera and lens[es] function as designed, this might be that "digital FE" so long hoped for. No? Anyway, I have an old Manfrotto and legacy glass that would just love to take a Z6 on a shake-down cruise. Autumn is so close, we can taste it in the Hudson Valley.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #276 on: August 22, 2018, 04:49:37 »
The 24-70/4 looks nice enough, but larger than expected (72mm filter) considering it is a stop slower than the AFS 24-70/2.8 and is a mirrorless design.

As for the 50/1.8 and 35/1.8, the front of the lenses are not shown, but we know the filter size of the 24-70/4, so by comparison, I guess the new lenses have 58mm filter. This is the same size as the F-mount lenses. I don't think they use the same optics as the F-mount siblings. it should be possible to develop a more highly optimised lens since the rear element no longer needs to clear a reflex mirror. I think using the same optics as the F-mount version would be a disappointment - you aren't really any better off than using the F-mount lens with adaptor.  The two lenses shown are nearly identical in length, while the F-mount AFS 35/1.8 is significantly longer than the AFS 50/1.8, which suggests they are new designs.

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #277 on: August 22, 2018, 05:12:49 »
I believe Nikon's aim is to gradually ween seasoned photographers off the venerable F-mount which, for all practical purposes, held back the adoption of the optical formulas that existed on drafting tables and work benches but couldn't surmount the ancient flange-distance. New photographers or system adopters will hardly know the difference or care much, if at all. I appreciate Nikon's long standing dedication (or am I being naive?) to backward compatibility. But to survive, the wider throat diameter of the new Z-system mount was, is, a necessary development. I'm just overjoyed I may continue to use legacy Nikkors as surely as hipsters and artistes will discover all manner of classic-crap with which to indulge their muse. (Holga lens [sic] on a Z6, anyone? Come to Brooklyn, next year... )

One last thought: Will the image circle of the new lenses cover medium format, therefore allowing for a one-mount, one-lens, universal system for Nikon FX and medium format digital camera development? Just curious. The mount diameter certainly appears wide enough -- but if I knew anything I wouldn't be asking.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #278 on: August 22, 2018, 06:10:32 »
As for the 50/1.8 and 35/1.8, the front of the lenses are not shown, but we know the filter size of the 24-70/4, so by comparison, I guess the new lenses have 58mm filter. This is the same size as the F-mount lenses. I don't think they use the same optics as the F-mount siblings. it should be possible to develop a more highly optimised lens since the rear element no longer needs to clear a reflex mirror. I think using the same optics as the F-mount version would be a disappointment - you aren't really any better off than using the F-mount lens with adaptor.  The two lenses shown are nearly identical in length, while the F-mount AFS 35/1.8 is significantly longer than the AFS 50/1.8, which suggests they are new designs.

The optics of 35/1.8 could be newly designed, but 50/1.8 could be the same as the AF- S sibling.

The Sigma Art series lenses for Sony FE mount are longer than those for DSLRs sharing the same optics, due to its shorter flange back.  So the Z mount version may well be longer, even if it shares the same optics.

There is no info on the in-body image stabilization (IBIS).  If the new Z bodies employ the IBIS, these lenses would be designed from the ground-up.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #279 on: August 22, 2018, 07:39:25 »
Thanks !
Here are the 50mm , 35mm 1.8 S and FTZ adapterMuch wider focus ring here,,,
Erik Lund

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #280 on: August 22, 2018, 08:35:19 »
I like the looks and the Z6 seems to have all the necessary buttons.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #281 on: August 22, 2018, 08:55:58 »
Hopefully the higher MP body doesn't have IBIS. I'll be happy to be Nikon's little test mice if so.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #282 on: August 22, 2018, 13:59:26 »
The same Nikon nomenclature should apply: supersonic wave motor.

Thanks.  I'm just used to seeing it represented as "SWM".  Thought maybe then went with a different motor tech or something.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

gryphon1911

• NG Member
« Reply #283 on: August 22, 2018, 14:01:51 »
Hopefully the higher MP body doesn't have IBIS. I'll be happy to be Nikon's little test mice if so.

just curious why the inclusion of IBIS would be a show stopper for you?
Andrew

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #284 on: August 22, 2018, 15:06:58 »

There is no info on the in-body image stabilization (IBIS).  If the new Z bodies employ the IBIS, these lenses would be designed from the ground-up.

Considering Nikon's past history on offering VR kit lenses with most cameras of this model level ... I'd say the probability would be higher that it has IBIS rather than not.
If no IBIS, I'd have expected a 24-70/4 VR lens.

If no IBIS and no stabilised lenses on initial offering, this then becomes a 'marketing liability' for them.
Considering the market segment the new cameras are aimed at, where every competitor has stabilization across most if not the entire range .. won't be a good intro.

So, hopefully it'll have IBIS.
Arthur