Author Topic: Glen Etive and Glen Ogle, Waterfalls and More  (Read 1881 times)

Seapy

• NG Member
Glen Etive and Glen Ogle, Waterfalls and More
« on: June 26, 2018, 21:10:55 »
I had been promising myself a return to Scotland, the opportunity arose when my neighbour decided to hold a very large party last weekend.

Having read David Pattersons book on Glen Etive and Glen Coe and admiring his photographs from on high, I have never deviated from my favourite path over Rannoch Moor to Glen Coe.  I decided it was an opportunity to explore.  Driving over Rannoch Moor we stopped for this scene.  The moon hiding behind a cloud with I believe, Venus alongside.  All of these are from the D3, mostly with the 24-120 f/4 VR.

We arrived at 2am at the far end of Glen Etive, a 12 mile cul-de-sac, the mountains swirling in low cloud. The morning wasn't much better so we decided to retreat back along the glen, to see what we could find.

We came across this decayed shed with the cheery foxgloves nearby, begging for a change of lens to the 105 f/2.5, wide open.

As we meandered back up Glen Etive we spotted these waterfalls, not high but quite amazing as they carved channels out of solid quartz granite.

There was one view which I tried to capture but the sun which was peeking through the clouds, wouldn't oblige, I put my camera away then as we were about to drive off the clouds opened a little allowing me to capture at least something...  It was the waterfall that I really wanted to light up, together with the skyline, it was worth the wait.

Am slightly confused but I think this was in Glen Ogle, which we chose as an alternative route, a lot quieter than the A82 which took us over Rannoch Moor.

I had no idea of the existence of these waterfalls, having driven past them within a few miles many times.  One feature which I had seen in Glen Brittle on the Island of Skye were swirl pots where pebbles and larger stones swirl in fast moving storm water and grind deep and large holes in the rock.  Quite amazing.

This was spectacular but I struggled with the processing, it has ended up looking like a rather overcooked HDR, it isn't HDR but I do think it is a bit over cooked.

Nearby I found this little cluster of foxgloves, again 105mm f/2.5, wide open.

Apart from looking for new photo opportunities and to escape a party, I had arranged to meet with David, we had a very pleasant evening and we shared a lovely meal.  After leaving David's we went looking for a campsite, Christopher, my son was keen to sleep in the tent that night.

We found a campsite, eventually.  In the morning I amused myself watching the swallows catching the midges which had tormented us while we erected the tent.  I managed to catch one semi passable shot of a swallow and it's reflection in the water.

Tired of the motorway, on our way home we called by Ulswater in the English Lakes, for a BBQ, afterwards Christopher decided to cool off a bit, and have a splash!

One last thing... As it was such a nice evening I decided I wanted a sunset, maybe even some star trails...  I chased down to the Jubilee Tower above Lancaster which has a wonderful view across the North West, we made it with minutes to spare as the sun was right on the horizon. In fact the sunset wasn't that good with no clouds.  So we stayed until the sky was almost dark enough to get some star trails.  Lancaster city  and Morecambe are in the bottom left corner, the Furness peninsular across the bay.

This was about 30 minutes after midnight. D3 with 16mm Fisheye f/2.8.

If you got this far, thanks for looking!  ;D

Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Glen Etive and Glen Ogle, Waterfalls and More
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 21:34:15 »
So nice journey and images, super! Thanks for Sharin ;)
Erik Lund

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 12:13:35 »
Robert, you brought back lovely memories of our NG Get-Together in Scotland years ago!
Thank you!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 01:49:53 »
Well done, Robert - a very nice set of images which, as Jakov says, bring back memories of the Scotland /NG week. Thank you.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 02:09:41 »
Fantastic images, Robert, from the closeups to the distant scenes!

Love the lenticularis in the first image!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 10:58:47 »

These are really nice, Robert, I especially like #1, #3 and the star trails at the end. Very nice how you got the Polar Star to stand out so clear compared to the trails.
Øivind Tøien

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 11:13:51 »
Hi Robert,

Thanks for posting, it is always a pleasure to see images from Scotland.
My favourite is the tranquil image of the foxglove with the hut in the background; unfortunately you had no great luck with light for grand mountain vistas.
I also like the last night image; after many years in this country I am still impressed by how light is the night sky this time of the year.
Simone Tomasi

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 10:27:09 »
Thank you all  for your comments, sorry I haven't responded sooner, life has been chaotic.  So much to do, last week went so fast it almost didn't exist.

I really enjoyed the Scotland trip, wish I could make it more often.  I love the variety and the unexpected, like the waterfalls.

The last image, the star trails was a bit of a cheat... It was way too early to make good star trails; between one and two am would have been better.  It was too light and I only was able to take images for twenty minutes, I had to get my son home and to bed, with school next  day he was already late.  I duplicated and rotated the image four times, to quadruple the length of the trails.  To the observer it doesn't really show although it may have contributed to the brighter polaris, which Øivind noted.

I do find it helpful when members mention their preferred photographs, when faced with well over a thousand varied image files selecting a few is pretty hard.

I am hoping I might make it back to Skye later in the year, this time complete the walk up the Fairy Pools in Glen Brittle and explore the Quiraing especially the 'prison' area with the spectacular pillars. I think an early/dawn approach would be best here, maybe even some star trails from within the prison.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK