Author Topic: Nik collection is back for 2018  (Read 6737 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Nik collection is back for 2018
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 22:48:33 »
Armando, thank you for the detailed share of your experience.

If some of the Nik plugins help you process your images (many of which I have admired), I surely would see their usefulness.

I know that the examples shown on the software's websites are a bit exaggerated to make their effect clear, but they look quite unnatural.

I feel the need of the noise reduction less and less thanks to the fact that the noise, especially the chrominance noise, from the current sensors looks less bothersome.

Personally I rarely apply sharpening to my images.  I prefer the rounder rendition even for the focused point, and the image will look sharper anyway when reduced in size for posting on the web.  The contrast and clarity sliders do the trick well enough for me.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 00:13:18 »
Silver Efex Pro causes Photoshop (latest version) to crash on my High Sierra iMac.  So I think I will have to pay DxO for the latest version of Nik.
Anthony Macaulay

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 08:46:56 »
I think I would be more inclined to blame Photoshop rather than the NIK plugin, I have found the latest version of Ps to be a bit unstable with my Mac Pro 5.1, 3.06 four core, 24 Gb RAM, SSD's also running High Sierra (10.13.6).

Ps is occasionally freezing and becoming briefly unresponsive.  Occasionally requiring a reboot to correct the silliness, all previous versions have been perfectly stable.  I would wait until the next version of Ps before blaming the NIK filter.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2018, 11:44:27 »
Silver Efex Pro causes Photoshop (latest version) to crash on my High Sierra iMac.  So I think I will have to pay DxO for the latest version of Nik.

I was able to get rid of the Silver Efex Pro - Photoshop crashes by modifying a setting in Silver Efex. With this setting Silver Efex Pro make changes to the current layer instead of adding an additional layer (which is the default behaviour).

Details on how to do this are e.g. described on:

http://www.richterpolilli.com/easy-steps-fix-nik-plug-crashes-inside-photoshop-cc-2018/

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2018, 12:24:46 »
Interesting.  Yesterday I finally got around to updating  CCPS to 2018. Yes, I did have to copy and paste the NIK suite into plug-ins but on the Win 7 no problems experienced at all.  My Win 10 laptop is travelling with my son in UK so have not updated.  Took me a bit of looking to find the camera profiles  ;) .
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2018, 12:50:54 »
I downloaded the trial and it worked correctly, so I paid for the update.  I am happy with the result.
Anthony Macaulay

paullgj

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Will this $50.00update solve my crash problems?
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2018, 18:25:33 »
Had NIK on my MacBook Pro.  A favorite piece of software.  All was fine.  Installed latest version of High Sierra.  Crash-O-Rama! Have tried all kinds of workarounds including reinstalling everything including CS6.  All to no avail.  If I go to the new release will it solve the crash problems?  FWIW Thom Hogan on his website mentioned some download and communication issues with the new NIK software.  Don’t want to spend the $50 and be back where I started.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Re: Will this $50.00update solve my crash problems?
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 18:59:02 »
Had NIK on my MacBook Pro.  A favorite piece of software.  All was fine.  Installed latest version of High Sierra.  Crash-O-Rama! Have tried all kinds of workarounds including reinstalling everything including CS6.  All to no avail.  If I go to the new release will it solve the crash problems?  FWIW Thom Hogan on his website mentioned some download and communication issues with the new NIK software.  Don’t want to spend the $50 and be back where I started.

There is currently a trial.
Anthony Macaulay

paullgj

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 19:07:09 »
There is currently a trial.

OK, thanks.  Will definitely give it a shot then report back if it works.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2018, 21:24:15 »

Did you try this?

http://www.richterpolilli.com/easy-steps-fix-nik-plug-crashes-inside-photoshop-cc-2018/

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2018, 00:39:03 »
OK, thanks.  Will definitely give it a shot then report back if it works.
A word of warning, the trial installs over the free, Google version.  So if you do not like the new version, you may lose it unless you can find the previous installer.

For me, the latest version solved the problem, so I am happy, plus I assume there will be some degree of future proofing.

For me, tinkering with SEP as suggested by Eddie is not the way I want to go, as I am not confident that there will be no side effects in the future as the OS and PS are updated.  But if you have the technical skills to deal with issues, you may take a different view.
Anthony Macaulay

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2018, 01:50:33 »
I did save the previous installer
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

paullgj

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 06:17:22 »
Did you try this?

Yes, just did the mods and it doesn't crash.  I'm having a bit f trouble finding the film types, though - i.e., can't find Koachrome, Astia, Provia etc.