Author Topic: New Zealand Landmarks  (Read 1661 times)

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
New Zealand Landmarks
« on: May 22, 2018, 16:23:08 »

On the South Island somewhere.

ianwatson

Re: New Zealand Landmarks
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 20:26:43 »
An interesting collection, Ron. The one of the collapsed house is particularly appealing.

The Whataroa Hotel has its priorities straight  :)

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 23:30:27 »
I would have never guessed it's New Zealand.
Usually we see other like images from down under.
Good that you shared with us an unconventional view.
Thanks!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 04:06:22 »
Thank you Jakov and Ian.  I get a thump out of rural business buildings.  They have a special charm even if lacking the latest architectural trends.  These businesses are enormously important to anyone living within 50 km of them because there isn't anything else.  The collapsed house resonates in a special way because so many flood damaged homes are being torn down in Houston.  The city alone grants about 10 demolition permits per day.  I expect as many are or more are being issued in the suburbs and enclaves.  My home of 29 years will probably be torn down before year end.  It's too messed up to repair, and too likely to flood again.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 04:29:34 »
The first one has a strong impact...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Netr

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 05:35:59 »
Very nicely observed, Ron.  All the photos (except the first) are identifiable to the small town of Whataroa (pop 400 or so), which is close to the Okarito lagoon, the only place in NZ where the rare white heron breed. There are only about 150-200 white herons, although numbers seem stable.  Whataroa is about 3/4 the way between Hokitika and the Franz Josef glacier.

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 16:33:50 »
Thank you Akira and Netr.  The collapsed house was photographed after we left Franz Joseph Glacier but before arriving at Whataroa.  I didn't see any white herons, unfortunately.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 02:30:09 »
I like seeing, through your photos here, what will not be promoted in the tourist brochures.  Worthwhile documentation.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Netr

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 10:01:19 »
I have found your photos valuable for me, apart from enjoying your high quality work, because I see a lot of this stuff all the time and I tend to take it for granted.

And I should not take it for granted.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 15:23:58 »
+1 with respect to your remarks and Ron's excellent work.

Also I plead guilty as well as well for taking things for granted.  Actually I have  been inside the Whataroa Hotel - and certainly have driven past it more than once, although not on a blue sky day.  The area is notoriously wet.

I have found your photos valuable for me, apart from enjoying your high quality work, because I see a lot of this stuff all the time and I tend to take it for granted.

And I should not take it for granted.
Hugh Gunn

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 18:25:45 »
Thank you Jakov and Ian.  I get a thump out of rural business buildings.  They have a special charm even if lacking the latest architectural trends.  These businesses are enormously important to anyone living within 50 km of them because there isn't anything else.  The collapsed house resonates in a special way because so many flood damaged homes are being torn down in Houston.  The city alone grants about 10 demolition permits per day.  I expect as many are or more are being issued in the suburbs and enclaves.  My home of 29 years will probably be torn down before year end.  It's too messed up to repair, and too likely to flood again.

Something missing from all of the images is any sign people or automobiles. IMO, that adds a feeling of loneliness to them. Reminds me of a disaster movie where life has been expunged, but everything else remains. Or, it could just be my over active imagination. However, I enjoyed viewing them none the less.
Carl

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 03:53:28 »
The area is relatively isolated, so seeing few or no people around is not unusual for the West Coast of NZ's South Island.

Your imagination is not overactive - just well seen by your eyes.

Something missing from all of the images is any sign people or automobiles. IMO, that adds a feeling of loneliness to them. Reminds me of a disaster movie where life has been expunged, but everything else remains. Or, it could just be my over active imagination. However, I enjoyed viewing them none the less.
Hugh Gunn