Author Topic: ((( ZEISS 21mm f/2.8 - Time to Buy ;)))  (Read 7678 times)

JKoerner007

((( ZEISS 21mm f/2.8 - Time to Buy ;)))
« on: April 14, 2018, 04:01:07 »
Very happy to have picked up this "legendary lens"—at $644 below the price of the new iteration (the Milvus).
There is essentially nothing different about the Milvus, except the new shape and a rubber focus ring replacing the Distagon's metal one :o
I prefer the Distagon 8)
Interestingly, of all the 20mm lenses available (including Nikkor, Sigma Art, and Leica), the Distagon/Milvus remain the best (made in 2008/2015, respectively).

I just picked up the last brand new Distagon version that a western vendor had available ... for $1,200 (used ones go from $999 to $1,100) 8)

Take a look at how the decade-old 2008 legendary Zeiss Distagon compares to today's modern marvels, including its revamped 'Milvus' brother (remember contrast is what gives the 3D 'pop'):

The above is from LenScore ... showing the decade-old Zeiss still to be better than anything but its own newer version.

However, that said, here is how I rate lenses:

As you can see, the Leica actually has the most advantages (according to my specs) while ranking slightly behind the Zeisses in image quality.
(These comparisons warrant scrutiny ... a "quick look and an opinion" will generally not work well.)

Anyway, I am glad to have just taken delivery of the Distagon f/2.8 21mm lens. It is first class in both fit-and-feel.
The truth is, all of these are excellent in their own way (except the Sony, which blatantly sucks).

There are many charts and graphs that can help you decide "which" of a multitude of available options is right for you, based on the categories, which are important to you.

For me, as a "lens investor," build quality and image quality are paramount ... after which reproduction ratio, min. foc. dist., and weight become important addenda.
No 'one' lens is better at 'everything.'

Based on 'my' criteria, the the Sigma Art 20mm is actually a sucky-lens at this focal length, esp. for nature photography, with not a single distinguishably-excellent feature, in ANY category, compared to its peer.
Meanwhile, the Zeiss 21mm Distagon is tied for best build quality (with Leica), is a close second in image quality, while having the best contrast, the second-best reproduction ratio, and is "right there" with its true peers (Milvus/Leica) in image quality, while being cheaper than both.

Too much information? Probably.
Bored on a Friday? Most certainly.

Still, I will be posting images on here, as time/locale permit, and vacations are coming soon 8)

But I would be delighted to see others share their images taken with this truly great lens also :D

Jack

JKoerner007

Re: ((( ZEISS 21mm f/2.8 - Time to Buy ;)))
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 04:07:45 »
BTW, I have also tried this lens, reversed (and it took 4 adapters to make that possibe ;D )

It acts as a 3.9x macro lens ... and performs flawlessly.

I will compare it (@ ~4x) with the Laowa 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5x Ultra Macro at the same (~4x) magnification.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 06:04:45 »
How is it at f/1.8?

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 06:06:30 »
I've had a copy of this lens since it became available for purchase in (I think) 2009.  It has been a reliable lens that never destroys a shot because of some unexpected optical failing, and is useful, within reason, at every aperture...as a 'pro lens' should be.
On some cameras, it will on rare occasions produce a pale cyan color shift at the periphery of the 24x36 image(D3 and D800). 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

JKoerner007

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 06:32:14 »
How is it at f/1.8?

I've not tried it at all yet.

That said, the Zeiss is about as good at f/1.8 as the Sigma is at 8" up close, nearing a 1:4 repro ratio.

Being a MF lens, the Zeiss is even better than the Sigma at being reversed ... while retaining full aperture control ... which are characteristics important to me ;)

The Zeiss will also retain far greater re-sale value over the years ... over a heavy, plasticky "electronic device" 8)

In all seriousness, making grids/tables like this helps us all evaluate lenses in our own way, placing hierarchical importance to "us," based on our own unique needs.

JKoerner007

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 06:37:29 »
I've had a copy of this lens since it became available for purchase in (I think) 2009.  It has been a reliable lens that never destroys a shot because of some unexpected optical failing, and is useful, within reason, at every aperture...as a 'pro lens' should be.
On some cameras, it will on rare occasions produce a pale cyan color shift at the periphery of the 24x36 image(D3 and D800).

Nice to hear.

I plan on taking some trips this year, beginning the end of the month 8)

I have equipped myself with some good Zeiss wide primes (15mm, 21mm, 25mm) for landscape shots, the macros I want, as well as my "lightweight wildlife lens" ...

Hoping for some good, reliable results for the new season.

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 13:25:24 »
There is no wide Zeiss f1.8 on the market. There is no Nikon 20 f2.8G on the market. ERR TO REALITY!  LZ

JKoerner007

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 15:13:17 »
There is no wide Zeiss f1.8 on the market. There is no Nikon 20 f2.8G on the market. ERR TO REALITY!  LZ

Nowhere do I say there is a Zeiss 21 f/1.8. (If you're not perceptive enough to see I was playing into Jack's sarcasm, that's a reality check for you.)

I do see I made a 'typo' on the Nikkor 20 f/1.8G, however, which I will correct.

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 15:50:11 »
Reality check for you will be at the moment you will stop try to belittle people who has a different opinion or their experience vary from your own one. Always remember that on the public field!

JKoerner007

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 15:56:21 »
Reality check for you will be at the moment you will stop try to belittle people who has a different opinion or their experience vary from your own one. Always remember that on the public field!

Whom did I belittle? My intent here was to post about a very nice time to buy a really good 21mm prime.

I took a lot of time to post (what I thought were) interesting comparisons among the leading primes in this class.

Jack is the one who came here with the intent to write a sarcastic one-liner, and I 'played along' and responded in sarcasm, but there was no malice in what I wrote. I even ended with,
  • "In all seriousness, making grids/tables like this helps us all evaluate lenses in our own way, placing hierarchical importance to "us," based on our own unique needs."
Read what I wrote slowly, so you actually grasp it.

The irony (hypocrisy) is, the only person who came here with the sole intent to directly "belittle" another person was you ... so you might want to recite your last post in the mirror.

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 16:01:16 »
Clear demagogue! You should re-read you own posts! You are not the one to lecture me or anybody else, without permission or direct question! Opinions, yes, why not, but watch your language and style!

JKoerner007

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 16:05:08 »
Clear demagogue! You should re-read you own posts! You are not the one to lecture me or anybody else, without permission or direct question! Opinions, yes, why not, but watch your language and style!

Why are you so offended when you were not involved?

Even better, before 'you' scream admonishments at another, why don't you first practice what you preach?

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 16:23:32 »
Hmmm... Weird.... But enough said. Hope you learned something. Sorry, if it doesn't. Happy shooting!  LZ

JKoerner007

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 17:05:07 »
Hmmm... Weird.... But enough said. Hope you learned something. Sorry, if it doesn't. Happy shooting!  LZ

I'll just refrain :-X

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 19:14:01 »
the Zeiss 21/2.8 has severe mustache distortion if I remember correctly..  i seem to recall a shot with waves in the rails on train tracks.. this is why i skipped over this zeiss... i think it doesn't control flare well also
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman