Author Topic: Nikon ES-2 finally launched  (Read 5659 times)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: Nikon ES-2 finally launched
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2023, 12:48:44 »
It is an expensive piece of kit for what it is. 

JJC have produced a clone of the ES-2 for around one third the cost of the Nikon ES-2 and they have also developed a bespoke LED light as an extra device to work with their copy system.

The long awaited (?) film digitizing adapter will finally hit the shelves this month:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/6668188440/nikon-s-es-2-film-digitizing-adapter-for-the-d850-will-finally-ship-in-march
Hugh Gunn

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2023, 06:38:04 »
I wish I had known of the JJC unit before I bought a Nikon ES-2 a couple of months ago. Considering the thin plastic construction, the ES-2 is seriously overpriced.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2023, 10:09:49 »
I wish I had known of the JJC unit before I bought a Nikon ES-2 a couple of months ago. Considering the thin plastic construction, the ES-2 is seriously overpriced.

It can be very expensive to make moulds for casting plastic in complicated shapes. And you have to consider the design takes time (likely multiple attempts were made, sometimes many) whereas copying something that already works 1:1 is inexpensive (if we ignore the shame in doing so).  Probably the demand for this product is not all that great as most people got their scans done a long time ago. To me the ES-2 is fairly priced and I was surprised Nikon made such a product at all considering they discontinued their scanner line (I would have preferred them to continue supporting their discontinued scanners though, as their software could do something better than others).

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2023, 10:33:21 »
It is an expensive piece of kit for what it is. 

JJC have produced a clone of the ES-2 for around one third the cost of the Nikon ES-2 and they have also developed a bespoke LED light as an extra device to work with their copy system.

Thanks, I just bought one. :-)
I have 25 boxes with slides and a few books with negatives, so quite a job to go.

I guess the fasted way is to tether via LR.
Chris Dees

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2023, 11:22:52 »
Me too.  Thank goodness that Vuescan is available, but it is sad that Nikon have deserted their Coolscan product line.

(I would have preferred them to continue supporting their discontinued scanners though, as their software could do something better than others).

Hugh Gunn

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2023, 11:24:47 »
Good luck with the work ahead of you.  Many of us are still sitting on yet to be digitised slide and negative collections.

Thanks, I just bought one. :-)
I have 25 boxes with slides and a few books with negatives, so quite a job to go.

I guess the fasted way is to tether via LR.
Hugh Gunn

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2023, 11:35:09 »
The long awaited (?) film digitizing adapter will finally hit the shelves this month:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/6668188440/nikon-s-es-2-film-digitizing-adapter-for-the-d850-will-finally-ship-in-march

I bought this long ago. It works.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2023, 21:38:32 »
Good luck with the work ahead of you.  Many of us are still sitting on yet to be digitised slide and negative collections.

Thanks, just received it.
Everything looks fine but the slide holder is only 2mm and all my slides are thicker.  :-(
Chris Dees

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2023, 22:27:57 »
3mm GEPE mounts was standard back in time?
Strange the ES-2 system does not support those.
I am quite sure the slide attachment for PB-6 bellows support 3mm slides (spring loaded so both thin and thick mounts will slide in).

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2023, 03:48:16 »
The PS-4, PS-5, and PS-6 slide holders can all accept 3mm slides - just! 

I have used the first two slide holders with thicker slides and if much over 3mm it becomes a struggle to get them out with finger strength alone.

3mm GEPE mounts was standard back in time?
Strange the ES-2 system does not support those.
I am quite sure the slide attachment for PB-6 bellows support 3mm slides (spring loaded so both thin and thick mounts will slide in).
Hugh Gunn

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2023, 05:41:25 »
Ouch!

I have the ES-1, which is a top loading adapter and it can definitely take 3mm slides.  The ES-2 and its JJC clone are both side loading adapters, so I don't know what opportunities there are to trick these adapters and/or their slide holders into accepting 3mm slides. 

There are Ebay sellers selling the JJC slide holders separately, so it may be possible to get a spare slide holder and modify it to accept the thicker slides.

Thanks, just received it.
Everything looks fine but the slide holder is only 2mm and all my slides are thicker.  :-(
Hugh Gunn