Author Topic: 28 f1.4D  (Read 2592 times)

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
28 f1.4D
« on: January 18, 2018, 11:35:54 »
Anyone using on a Df?  Thoughts?
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: 28 f1.4D
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 12:01:22 »
Tom, I've always heard that the sample variation of this lens is too huge to generalize its performance.  Also, considering its elevated price, I don't see any reason to choose it over the latest AF-S 28/1.4E ED, especially because Df is fully compatible with the 28/1.4E.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 15:29:48 »
I tested a sample at a second-hand shop, on Df. It cost a whopping 1300-1400 Euro. Performance (wide open) was feeble, with lots of haze and purple fringing. Cause might be sample variation as mentioned by Akira. Any noct or 35/1.4 AIS I experienced were visibly better. Unfortunately I cannot show you the sample shots (they're at home and I'm away for a few days).

By the way, the 28/1.8 G would be a cheap alternative, especially second-hand. I am not fond of its rendering, but it is usable wide open.
Airy Magnien

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 17:54:34 »
Anyone using on a Df?  Thoughts?
Tom
  Tom, do not waist your money and time. Akira and Airy said it everything! Good luck!  LZ

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 23:08:13 »
This lens is a legendary lens, and it's nothing more than that.

Wide open, it's hazey, and there's lots of halos. The D-series AF/MF clutch by today's standards is just nuisance. AF speed isn't fast but certainly snappy and acceptable.

The main problem is its price to performance and sample variations. A clean copy can cost up to $4000+, why? The 28/1.4E is superior in every aspect... maybe not the looks? I really love the looks of full metal pro D-series lenses, one could argue it's built better. The 28/1.4E however should be reasonably sealed against weather.

But then, there's another issue -- do you really need f/1.4?
The f/1.8G is also really good, and costs about one fifth used.  ;)
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 23:11:30 »
Nikon 28mm f/1.4E by Macro Cosmos (DH), on Flickr

Digidirect in Brisbane City by Macro Cosmos (DH), on Flickr

One day I'll find one. Both shots wide open, love the rendering (can't say that for most unsaturated modern lenses) and sharpness.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 03:20:57 »
Many thanks.  I have never really looked at this lens, price put it on the list not to be considered.   One has become available from a local man I know.  I did not know about sample variation.  I really do not need the lens since I have two 28 f2 (Ais & Ai).  I had already told him no but was having second thoughts.  I've pretty much left the wider lenses to the Sony a7rii.   I do not shoot at f1.4 very often.  I do not like the 35 f1.4 Ais at f1.4.  The copy I have is not sharp (even on a Tripod) and does have a lot of haze and fringing wide open.  Fine at f2.  I took it as part payment when I sold the D3S.

The 105 f1.4E remains on the "want" list but only if I get the D850.

M-C, many thanks for the images.  I caught the image of the model at the beach shot with the new 70-200 2.8E vr....now that lens would interest me (as would the model :) ).   Tough work but someone has to.... ;)
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 07:36:14 »
Remarkably, one of the admins of the nikon forum at Getdpi, seems quite fond of the 28mm f/1.4d.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 16:24:10 »
I used to shoot with this lens back in the days of D1, D1Xs and D2Xs - in the DX days,,, So i was like a semi vide normal lens,,, Well it was sort of a nice lens if you where really careful about lighting, bright lights etc could easily make it hazy looking, but overall it was a super nice lens, I don't feel screwdriver lenses where lacking in any way except for a few of them ;) Sure AFS is nice but not especially that much 'better' for lenses in the similar focal length.
Erik Lund

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 20:00:19 »
Nikon have an article on this lens: http://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0028/index.htm, a "wide-angle version of Noct Nikkor".