Author Topic: Getting ready to replace the focussing screen on my Df  (Read 5812 times)

stenrasmussen

Getting ready to replace the focussing screen on my Df
« on: July 11, 2015, 19:04:25 »
Patient sedated and meself...well, somewhat sedated as well via a taste from the nice Chàteauneuf-du-Pape  :)
Let's see how this project fares...

stenrasmussen

Re: Getting ready to replace the focussing screen on my Df
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 19:26:16 »
That went swell.
A S-type screen from www.focusingscreen.com (actually meant for a D600 but fits like a glove).
First attemt with stock shims showed back focus. Added one of the supplied plastic shims and Bob'me uncle. Tested with 50/1.2 and nailin' focus is much easier. Next trial will be with f/3.5 lenses to assess darkness.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 19:36:15 »
That's quite brave...! On my FM2n's changing those was like a breeze, but I wouldn't dare doing it on those DSRL cameras. Maybe also because the original glass of the Df is quite sufficient for me as I was used to focus on plain grounded glass :-)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 19:55:09 »
Nah, it's not that difficult...as long as some precautions are taken.
I see I have some dust in there but I'll save that for another rainy day.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 20:50:30 »
I've got a few f/3.5 and f/4 lenses, so I'll be watching to see what you conclude.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 21:19:41 »
The alcoholic part is always very important. Cote du Rhone is one of my favorite wine styles.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

stenrasmussen

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 20:38:55 »
I've got a few f/3.5 and f/4 lenses, so I'll be watching to see what you conclude.

Although the viewfinder appears a little darker with the 3.5-4 lenses it is still easier to nail focus.
I have the 105/2.5 Ai-S (chipped) on today and the S-type REALLY makes MF snappy!!!

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 20:54:59 »
Probably will replace the screen of just one of my Df cameras. Thus intersting to learn what observations you have re different lenses and their behaviour.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 11:27:34 »
Very interesting Sten! Thanks ;)
Erik Lund

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 11:54:08 »
I would like to replace the screen of my Df as well for assisting with MF-lenses, but I don't have the guts to do it.  :(
Besides that I'm not sure which screen would be the best.
Does it influence AF?
Chris Dees

stenrasmussen

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 12:08:19 »
You could practice releasing the screen technique on an older camera if you have one. The procedure is similar.
Wearing surgical type gloves you should manage to release the retaining steel spring with your finger(nail) only.
I like the matte screen with no prism in the centre as I've found the prism to influence spot metering (the light meter is housed in the prism area). AF is not influenced at all as the AF module is placed in the bottom of the camera.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 19:09:21 »
A modified Canon Type-S screen for my D800E should be arriving soon.  I shall report on relative screen brightness and installation, including before and after brightness measurements.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA