Author Topic: Firing the cannon  (Read 1211 times)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
Firing the cannon
« on: January 13, 2018, 15:22:17 »
This was shot in 2002 at an American Civil War Re-enactment at Black Creek Pioneer village, here in Toronto.
In addition to the actual battles being fought, there were demonstrations and displays of various crafts and skills of the period.
The firing of one of the field pieces took place in a large open patch of ground and I used a motor-driven camera and wide lens to grab this shot.
motorized Nikon FA
Nikkor 24 2.8 AIS manual focus
Fuji 100 ISO colour slide
5.6 @ 1/1000th
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Re: Firing the cannon
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 15:38:11 »
Awesome scene !
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 15:48:20 »
Thanks Armando.
After the crew explained how and what they were doing, they gave a count-down to firing the shot, so I had time to get ready and when they got close, I used the drive to take a sequence of shots, hoping to catch the muzzle flash, which I was lucky enough to get. However, while doing that there was a bit of camera drift to the right, which is why the figure on the left is badly cropped.
Robert
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 12:26:51 »
Robert, I do like this image - as close as I want to get to a cannon!  (The artillery cannon that is.  ;D )
Hugh Gunn

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 12:53:32 »
Actually I like the left crop, it strengthens the feeling of "people trying to escape the cannon".
Bruno Schröder

Reality is frequently inaccurate. (Douglas Adams)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 15:26:55 »
Hugh, Bruno,
thanks for commenting.
Robert