Author Topic: [Theme] The Organ Thread  (Read 103322 times)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: [Theme] The Organ Thread
« Reply #330 on: May 08, 2017, 09:34:55 »
I have never see the interior of an organ before. On top of very interesting and informative the light is unexpected, I will imagine a way darker set up but is very pleasing with all the wood. I like your choices of what to include in the frame. Great shot

Thanks Armando!

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #331 on: May 08, 2017, 14:52:11 »
Thanks Airy , it is indeed a single keyboard, perhaps 2/3 of a piano, and if I recall correctly it had one or maybe 2 pedals, I never seen an organ with such a simple arrangement, I could not find information on the organ

Paco, The light is coming through a door which is usually closed, it is still fairly dark 1/5 sec, iso 1600 f3.5, I'm glad the VR on this 24-85 VR zoom lens works so well

Here is an image of the keyboard, not a very good one
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #332 on: May 08, 2017, 15:11:59 »
Great details, Armando!  I've never seen the internal mechanism of an organ.  Thanks for sharing.  Your VR lens seems to work really well.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #333 on: May 08, 2017, 15:26:08 »
We have, here in Mesa, Arizona, what is reportedly the biggest and best Wurlitzer in the world. It's in a pizza parlor,
https://www.organstoppizza.com/the-pipe-organ/history/, and maybe 10 minutes from my house. Years ago, we took our grandkids there, and they were well entertained by that organ.

With my new D7200 arriving later today, I should make plans to shoot that organ.
Carl

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #334 on: May 08, 2017, 15:55:46 »
Thanks Armando. Would you perhaps have a front shot of the keyboards where the stop knobs are all apparent ? I can read "contrabajo 16" on the right, but that's it...
The keyboard is otherwise very much late XIXth century style, and normally the type used for 2nd or 3rd keyboards (the angled lower part is supposed to avoid interfering with the hands placed on a lower keyboard)
Airy Magnien

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #335 on: May 08, 2017, 16:04:06 »
This truly is a marvelous thread. The pipe organ has to be one of the finest things ever created by mankind, offering  visual and audio pleasure, as well as being spiritually uplifting.
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #336 on: May 08, 2017, 21:02:11 »
Carl, the organ you referred to is an entertainment organ, and its purpose is different from that of the ones posted in this thread.  The organ like the Wuritzer were used to accompany the silent movies or some other entertainment shows, not really for the liturgical purposes.

Wurlitzer later made electric pianos used by pop artists like the Carpenters in the 70s.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #337 on: May 08, 2017, 22:59:14 »
Carl, the organ you referred to is an entertainment organ, and its purpose is different from that of the ones posted in this thread.  The organ like the Wuritzer were used to accompany the silent movies or some other entertainment shows, not really for the liturgical purposes.

Wurlitzer later made electric pianos used by pop artists like the Carpenters in the 70s.

Yeah, it's a Theater Organ, and Wurlitzer made accordions too, my dad had one. I suppose the Wurlitzer is inappropriate for this thread. To make amends, here's a YouTube video of the pipe organ in a chapel very close to my house when I was a kid. http://tinyurl.com/nxr2phy
Carl

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #338 on: August 09, 2017, 19:55:40 »
Today I was so fortunate to hear our local organ being played by the Sweedish organist Hans Fagius - first time he played this organ. J. S. Bach, Mendelssohn and contemporary work by the Sweedish composer Staffan Storm.

Here is a more recent shot of the organ (in #18) - this time with the entire organ in the frame.       

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #339 on: October 10, 2017, 19:58:21 »
Three organs in one shot.  Is this a record?

St Stephan's Cathedral, Vienna.
Anthony Macaulay

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #340 on: October 28, 2017, 17:36:25 »
St Winnow Church, Cornwal, UK.

Actually it's the first time I see a pipe organ in a relatively modest church.

Note that the keyboard is looked with a padlock.
Francis Devrainne

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #341 on: October 28, 2017, 21:39:10 »
Three organs in one shot.  Is this a record?

St Stephan's Cathedral, Vienna.

perfect shot, dear friend!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #342 on: October 28, 2017, 21:42:04 »
Francis, I miss you. Great find!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #343 on: October 28, 2017, 23:07:55 »
A few ones from the same city, same afternoon. Df, 28/2 AI, 58/1.2 AIS, and 105/1.8 AIS.
Kortrijk (Belgium). First three : St Maarten, choir organ and main organ; then the small organ of the beguinage chapel;
two views of the organ of Our Lady's church, divided into two parts not to block the light, finally two views of the chancery organ, Budastraat chapel. And since we are in a country where the organs are supposed to be played, I heard two of them, despite the quick pace of the visits (we were out for a baroque concert).
Post divided into two, given the file size restrictions.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #344 on: October 28, 2017, 23:10:46 »
and the rest
Airy Magnien