Author Topic: [Theme] The Organ Thread  (Read 101946 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: [Theme] The Organ Thread
« Reply #345 on: October 29, 2017, 01:40:32 »
Gentlemen, I keep myself marveled by all these majestic organs.  Thanks for taking your time to visit the places and sharing their wonderful images!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #346 on: October 29, 2017, 07:52:37 »
Same here. Beautiful work Airy too. That’s a dream combo you have in your skilled and sensitive hands!

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #347 on: October 29, 2017, 10:41:15 »
Dream combo, yes, close to it. Minor rants:

28/2 AI: not so nice wide open, due to bad peripheral bokeh and sharpness. Maybe linked my sample's CRC being out of tune ? I did not test that hypothesis, as I do not know how to do it. My copy's condition looks very good otherwise; it did not apparently experience rough handling.

58/1.2 AIS: loss of contrast with backlighting and, more generally, has some issues with flare. Otherwise it is a high contrast lens, and astonishingly sharp wide open.

105/1.8 AIS: near-perfect... especially good with backlighting; great for stage shots. My copy was cleaned but not sufficiently re-greased, so there is some "dry friction" feel when focussing; I'll have to fix that.

For this particular subject (organs):

My primary intent was stage shots; for that purpose (as well as for organs) I should have taken the Voigtländer 58/1.4, but with night shots in mind after the concert, I preferred to try out the Noct.

Also, the Zeiss 135/2 is terrific for stage shots (not to mention the Nikkor 70-200), but I wanted to travel light, and the 105/1.8 is, once again, an excellent performer.

For organs, I'd take the Zeiss 35/2 or 25/2 rather than the 28/2 because of their excellent handling of backlight. Also the PC 24/3.5 fills the bill.
Airy Magnien

Mike G

« Reply #348 on: October 29, 2017, 15:12:22 »
Speyer Dom earlier this year and I thought of Frank!

Fuji X-T2 + 23mm 1.4

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #349 on: October 29, 2017, 16:41:53 »
wonderful, Mike, thank you.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #350 on: January 02, 2018, 21:04:11 »
Santuario de Guadalupe - Zamora Michoacan , México
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #351 on: January 15, 2018, 06:55:04 »
Yesterday I have been to a concert listening to Olivier Messiaen "9 Meditations on the Birth of Christ"
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #352 on: January 15, 2018, 11:11:57 »
Yesterday I have been to a concert listening to Olivier Messiaen "9 Meditations on the Birth of Christ"

That's envious.  Hope you enjoyed it!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #353 on: January 15, 2018, 12:32:10 »
That's envious.  Hope you enjoyed it!

It was wonderful. The clustertones at the end that stand in the room like Giant Star Destroyer Ships seemed to be a tad too much for our old organ, I heared that she tried to escape her wooden housing!

https://www.sankt-petrus-bonn.de/kirchen/stiftskirche/orgel-stiftskirche (most of the photos on this website are mine)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #354 on: January 15, 2018, 16:48:37 »
It was wonderful. The clustertones at the end that stand in the room like Giant Star Destroyer Ships seemed to be a tad too much for our old organ, I heared that she tried to escape her wooden housing!

https://www.sankt-petrus-bonn.de/kirchen/stiftskirche/orgel-stiftskirche (most of the photos on this website are mine)

Thank you for the link.  Does the church have seven organs?

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #355 on: March 03, 2018, 00:02:52 »
Aix en Provence, St Sauveur cathedral. The right hand side "organ" is only a façade applied to the wall, but the façade is identical with the real organ on the left, which is a beauty: a well-balanced mix of XVIIIth and XIXth century pipes, in an organ case by Jean-Esprit Isnard.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #356 on: March 03, 2018, 17:11:53 »
Avignon, S. Agricol. A bread-and-butter symphonic organ by Verschneider and later Puget, but a good one and, lo and behold, it works fine, and even better, they organize concerts there! a rare event in France (this is not Germany).

Organ cases were often according to neo-gothic "standards", i.e. very different from organ cases of the gothic era (these being scarcely known and preserved). Only the decorative elements were inspired from gothic stone carving, sometimes in good harmony with the surrounding church. But most frequently, the "neo gothic" organ case was just from the organ builder's catalogue.

And for info, Df + Leitz Summicron-R 50/2 at some intermediate setting (f/4-f/5.6), 1/60s handheld and fairly high ISO.
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #357 on: March 03, 2018, 21:36:44 »
I like the symmetry design of the organ in the St Sauveur cathedral.  The green color gives a warm, somewhat idyllic feel to the otherwise a bit cold marble walls.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #358 on: March 07, 2018, 23:42:46 »
for reference, the outside of S. Agricol church in Avignon.
Airy Magnien

Alaun

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #359 on: April 27, 2018, 22:04:54 »
A quick shot for Airy and Frank :)

Wer-      Dro-
      ner         ste