Author Topic: High ISO on D500  (Read 9396 times)

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
Re: High ISO on D500
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2018, 10:13:59 »
Sorry I just don't get this..you take a photo at high iso in a well lit environment with virtually no black areas and then say how great it is ..  Why not try a 13th century church lit with 5watt low energy bulbs  and stained glass windows in winter. To test you should be reducing the light on the scene to force the iso up  not just turning the iso up.
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2018, 10:36:54 »
Sorry I just don't get this..you take a photo at high iso in a well lit environment with virtually no black areas and then say how great it is ..  Why not try a 13th century church lit with 5watt low energy bulbs  and stained glass windows in winter. To test you should be reducing the light on the scene to force the iso up  not just turning the iso up.

The purpose of high ISO is not only for the dark situations.  Even in the fairly well lit conditions, you need to crank up the ISO in order to enable highest possible shutter speed.  If the entire frame is evenly lit, the image quality won't suffer too much.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2018, 11:39:19 »

I tried this and it works. Russian icon with a near dark converter bulb in the Krypta. Handheld. Great color fidelity, next to no noise, ISO 20.000
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2018, 12:54:31 »
I fully understand what both of you are saying but the DXO review of the D500 puts the noise at -18db at 1300 iso .No different to a D7200 and a lot worse than an old D810 at 2700 iso
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2018, 14:21:27 »
I fully understand what both of you are saying but the DXO review of the D500 puts the noise at -18db at 1300 iso .No different to a D7200 and a lot worse than an old D810 at 2700 iso

Along with DxOMark and Photons to Photos, I often refer to the "Image Quality" section of dpreview.com:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d500/7

You can compare four different cameras using the pull-down menus both for JPEGs and RAWs at various ISO settings.  You can select "Comp" above right of the comparison window to compare the images in the same image size.  According to the test, D7200 is noticeably noisier than D500 at higher ISO settings like 1600 and above.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2018, 20:51:43 »

I often use my D850 in parallel to the D500. Both have the same pixel density but completely different noise characteristics. The D500 stays crisp clean and emphasizes luminance noise over chrominance noise the D850 reenters chominance noise at same ISO setting as D500. The more total pixels per picture cannot always compensate for the definition loss. So I feel more comfortable to use the D500 at HighISO than the D850. The D850 is the greatest low ISO camera build to date
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/