Author Topic: Nikon AF-S 180-400mm f/4 announced  (Read 26823 times)

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
Re: Nikon AF-S 180-400mm f/4 announced
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2018, 15:00:21 »
Wondering if the Stacked Teleconverter assembly is usable, Internal 1.4 TC + TC 1.4E III.
Will this give a 2.8 TC with a sharp image ?

1.4x1.4=2, so it will give 2x TC
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.

John G

• "Borrowed a Little Light"
  • NG Member
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2018, 16:33:20 »
After my previous post, I read a review of a photographer using the same set up on the Canon 200 - 400 mm claiming the lens is now a
200 - 780mm f8, when a external 1.4 TC is used, the TC is a valuable addition, and the TC would be attached without a concern in good light.

John Gallagher

Gary Irwin

• NG Member
  • A wildlife in habitat shooter
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2018, 01:02:51 »
Nikon is bringing a 180-400 to a local shop March 17th...I have reserved a timeslot to check it out.  :)

chambeshi

« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2018, 12:02:00 »
Being in London, yesterday, I visited the NPS offices of Nikon UK near Oxford Circus, mainly to handle the 400 f2.8E and 500 f4E. Well the 500 f4 is out on loan but I was able to handle a 180-400 f5.6E TC14. AF performance of the new zoom on my D850 was noticeably fast - close to the 400 prime. The balance is also appealing - not too front heavy. Unfortunately, I didn't have a 300 f2.8G handy to compare, which is the prime telephoto I'm most used to handling. And we owners know too well it's end-heavy.

Anyway both lenses pass the "handholdable" test IMHO on shorter tracks and shots but anything longer will need a monopod or tripod.

The TC really is a great feature. I found one can manipulate it with the right hand - with the index and first finger. It swings in and out of the optical path with a distinct clunk. Dare I say a satisfying sound :-) And hand-holding on a sign across the London street, it's impressive to see the "instant" magnification kick in and out.... Now if only Nikon will bring the internal TC feature to primes!!!

But for my funds, I still plan to invest in a 400 f2.8E - principally because of (1) speed, (2) excellent IQ, and last but least for my needs (mobile wildlife genre) its High TC Factor and decent IQ with all three Nikkor teleconverters.

I took some test shots on my D850 but haven't had the opportunity to download.
A couple of poor cellph photos fyi - taken in too mush haste. The 400 f2.8E is on the right

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2018, 12:56:28 »
I can understand the excitement but why post totally blurry images of a lens when there are perfectly clear, studio quality images available online elsewhere? 

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2018, 14:16:52 »
Thank you for the feed-back and the images (smartphone pictures don’t need to be “poor”). I think I will go for the 180-400mm, unless they come out with the 300mm f/2.8E FL before June. No news on the Swiss side in terms of presentation.  This time I would like to test before purchasing.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Gary Irwin

• NG Member
  • A wildlife in habitat shooter
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2018, 14:27:06 »
Being in London, yesterday, I visited the NPS offices of Nikon UK near Oxford Circus, mainly to handle the 400 f2.8E and 500 f4E. Well the 500 f4 is out on loan but I was able to handle a 180-400 f5.6E TC14. AF performance of the new zoom on my D850 was noticeably fast - close to the 400 prime. The balance is also appealing - not too front heavy. Unfortunately, I didn't have a 300 f2.8G handy to compare, which is the prime telephoto I'm most used to handling. And we owners know too well it's end-heavy.

Thanks for posting! Having owned the 200-400VRI years ago I'm following this new model with some interest. The only thing that gives me pause is the price (of course) and weight. It's interesting that the Canon version seems to have fallen out of favour based on the prices used mint copies are going for...I'm thinking the smart move would be to start looking for a used 180-400 in 6-12 months or so.

chambeshi

« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2018, 13:37:47 »
I can understand the excitement but why post totally blurry images of a lens when there are perfectly clear, studio quality images available online elsewhere?
deleted. Won't bother sharing in future

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2018, 13:46:09 »
deleted. Won't bother sharing in future

I didn't mean it that way, sorry if you were offended. My point is that if you're in the market for a 12k€ lens you can afford a smartphone which takes images of reasonable quality. I think we all appreciate personal observations about the new lens. I still consider posting online akin to publication and try to maintain publication quality images in my posts so that the information that is there is easy to get from the images.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2018, 14:26:32 »
I didn't mean it that way, sorry if you were offended. My point is that if you're in the market for a 12k€ lens you can afford a smartphone which takes images of reasonable quality. I think we all appreciate personal observations about the new lens. I still consider posting online akin to publication and try to maintain publication quality images in my posts so that the information that is there is easy to get from the images.

I don't think it was the quality of the smartphone which caused the blurriness, probably more the excitement caused handling such an exotic and currently rare lens...

I do agree about trying to maintain reasonable standards of images, we are after all, photographers.  However, occasionally a poor picture of the actual thing is better than a perfect agency image of something similar, it frequently contains background pertinent to the discussion.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

chambeshi

« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2018, 19:48:15 »
I don't think it was the quality of the smartphone which caused the blurriness, probably more the excitement caused handling such an exotic and currently rare lens...

I do agree about trying to maintain reasonable standards of images, we are after all, photographers.  However, occasionally a poor picture of the actual thing is better than a perfect agency image of something similar, it frequently contains background pertinent to the discussion.

I am living out of backpacks whilst travelling in UK for business and to see family. As it turned out, the opportunity arose to visit the Nikon School, whilst passing through London. Hence the rush. Actually, I had my D850 with a 45 f2.8AIP for compactness... Haven't had the time to download the images taken on rail and road etc.

My very last priority is to waste money on a cellphone - the necessary, invasive Evil  ;) I use well worn backup samsung, switching simcards travelling in Africa and UK etc. It works for what's needed

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2018, 23:58:37 »
My very last priority is to waste money on a cellphone - the necessary, invasive Evil  ;)

Totally, perfectly, enthusiastically agree!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

JKoerner007

« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2018, 00:04:46 »
I am living out of backpacks whilst travelling in UK for business and to see family. As it turned out, the opportunity arose to visit the Nikon School, whilst passing through London. Hence the rush. Actually, I had my D850 with a 45 f2.8AIP for compactness... Haven't had the time to download the images taken on rail and road etc.

My very last priority is to waste money on a cellphone - the necessary, invasive Evil  ;) I use well worn backup samsung, switching simcards travelling in Africa and UK etc. It works for what's needed

Woody, I for one appreciated your 'live, impromptu, eager" cell phone shots of the new lens :D

They added realism and soul to the vapid, 'perfect,' one-dimensional images everyone and their brother has already seen on gear sites ::)

Do not let the criticism of 'one' make you forget that your images were interesting to many ... kindly re-post.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2018, 01:20:14 »
Woody, I for one appreciated your 'live, impromptu, eager" cell phone shots of the new lens :D

They added realism and soul to the vapid, 'perfect,' one-dimensional images everyone and their brother has already seen on gear sites ::)

Do not let the criticism of 'one' make you forget that your images were interesting to many ... kindly re-post.

So I was. Totally different than agency pictures.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν