Author Topic: Lens cases  (Read 8443 times)

simsurace

• NG Member
Lens cases
« on: January 07, 2018, 11:49:00 »
I'm looking for a convenient way to safely store or transport smaller lenses like Ai-s Nikkors (28,35, etc.).
I have on multiple occasions seen translucent plastic cases that have coarse threads and often come with some paddings. They are used to store optical lenses and seem to come in various diameters and lengths. I have one even for my glasses that is thin and long. For some reason I can't come up with the proper names to search for them online. Does anyone know what they are called and who sells them?
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
Re: Lens cases
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 03:28:23 »
Most of the ones I've seen have been for enlarger lenses and they typically have an L39 screw thread.  There are exceptions, such as the Agfa Silette lens case which has that mount instead.

Here's the Nikon version, a CP-2.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 04:26:33 »
LowePro market a range of lens bags, but not with bayonet or screw type fixtures - they are just bags for lenses - come in various sizes - but not what I would describe as a lens case.

If you have just two smaller lenses to tote around, why not buy or make a double sided rear lens cap arrangement to join the two lenses and stick them in a suitable length of lens bag/case?

Some links about joining two lenses for transport and carrying:

http://www.fujixseries.com/forums/topic/9951-double-sided-lens-cap/

https://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/double-sided-rear-lens-cap.17384/
Hugh Gunn

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 05:15:24 »
Unless there are little kids or pets to kick your lenses around (lol), the best way at least to store those small lenses in Switzerland would be just to put them on an open shelf and cover them with light cloth to keep the dust from falling on them.

As for the transportation, I would also look at LowePro products.  You could glue the lens rear caps back to back together to keep two those smaller lenses together and put the combo into one longer bag.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 15:15:05 »
I think Jack nailed it: his link shows the exact tubes that I was thinking about!
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 00:25:54 »
I've made a grid like a box for liqueur bottles out of cardboard. Make the cells big enough for your largest lenses. The cells are open and I've placed them in a quality steel legal file. The file can be locked. It's scant protection from thieves but would keep children out. The grid might be placed in a wooden box and then in a cupboard. The cupboard should then have a lock.

I'm not keen on separate lens cases. I'd have to look inside as many would be the same size and brand. some soft cases have a tag on a draw string. Then I'd have to read the tag. I like the open dividers.

A better material to make dividers out of is corrugated soft plastic sheets. There was a thread not too long ago with specific suggestions for corrugated plastic and a source.

Either material is easy to cut with a utility knife. Extra sharp or extra long life blades are available. I'd get extra sharp. I use a strait edge made of aluminum or steel. Measure twice and don't cut your fingers off.

Dave Hartman

Charcoal foam might also be used but use the correct kind obtained from an honest supplier. There is one that is safe for lenses and one that off gasses and will fog a lens. If the fit is snug there won't  be good air flow.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!