Author Topic: The Busker and The Fishmonger St.Lawrence Market, Toronto  (Read 1110 times)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
The Busker and The Fishmonger St.Lawrence Market, Toronto
« on: January 01, 2018, 03:36:07 »
I decided since I was going to go Digital, I’d jump in with both feet, so the other day I catalogued all my film gear, and went to my favorite bricks and mortar camera store, Downtown Camera with an inventory list of most of my film cameras, and all of my manual focus zooms and one rangefinder prime, and discussed trading them for two Nikkor auto focus zooms: 24-70 2.8, and 70-200 2.8, two bread and butter lenses that I've used for years in manual focus versions for my street photography.
I packed up all the gear we’d talked about plus a lot of other odds and ends I’d collected over the years and took it all down.
It took a couple of hours to catalogue everything but in the end I walked out with the two lenses, an AF-S VR ED Nikkor 70~200 2.8 G, and an AF-S ED Nikkor 24~70 2.8 G. These coupled with the Sigma 12~24 f4.5-5.6 I already own give me virtually all I need for street shooting.
I kept my motorized F and F2 as well as my SP, S3 and Voigtlander R2S rangefinder bodies and all my Nikkor and third party primes, and my rangefinder lenses so I can still shoot film as the mood strikes me.
Yesterday I visited the St. Lawrence Market just to wring out the two lenses and have some fun indoors.
I still tend to shoot very sparingly and over the course of a few hours only came away with about 20 shots. These are the two I liked best:
The Busker
Nikon D3
Nikkor 70~200 2.8 G
2.8 @ 1/100 ISO 3200

The Fishmonger
Nikon D3
24~70 2.8 G
2.8 @ 1/800 ISO 3200

I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Re: The Busker and The Fishmonger St.Lawrence Market, Toronto
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 15:49:37 »
Seems the transition has not affected your results

It is a bit sad to see the one person I "knew" that shot film has now jumped to digital, it is quite good you were able to get such good glass, and with digital it should much more practical, except perhaps for the size of the equipment

Cheers and wish you a lot of fun with your new digital photos
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 17:34:54 »
Armando,
Thanks for the kind words.
I haven't given up film. I still have my F and F2 bodies as well as my SP S3 and R2s rangefinders and manual focus SLR primes from 17 to 300 2.8, as well as rangefinder lenses from 21 to 135 mm.
Part of why I did this was to lessen the clutter brought resulting from 40 years of photography combined with a desire to increase my focusing speed and accuracy brought about by eyesight not as good as it once was.
Robert
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 00:57:23 »
Commiserations Robert - I hope that the new kit works well for you in overcoming this malady  -  one that I am afraid affects many of us as the years roll on.

The new AF systems are a boon to those of us that suffer from eyesight issues.

a desire to increase my focusing speed and accuracy brought about by eyesight not as good as it once was.
Robert
Hugh Gunn