Author Topic: Nik Collection to be revived in 2018!  (Read 5744 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Seapy

• NG Member
Re: Nik Collection to be revived in 2018!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 15:10:40 »
Excellent news, I find them very useful to get that extra something into an image.  I especially like the selection method.

Just hope it's not going to cost an arm and a leg.

For once Google seem to have done 'the right thing'.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 20:37:54 »
Fear it will be a paid version with updates, but I can't see what you can update on a set of filters.  Grab it now, when it's still for free.  ;)

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 20:59:09 »
Fear it will be a paid version with updates, but I can't see what you can update on a set of filters.  Grab it now, when it's still for free.  ;)
I was thinking the same, I still use the free version

as far as updates some more crazy filters ?
from color efex I use the detail extractor ... and that's it
from silver efex I use more options depends on the photo
upoint is useful if you do not want or know how to use masks in PS
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 21:09:52 »
Use mostly Silver Efex as a kind of catalogue of possibilities with a 'difficult' B&W. My preferred way is to work in PS, as you can directly make 'changes' to the original image in the steps you want.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 21:51:26 »
very good. I hope they also make a PSCC plugin!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 22:25:01 »
The only plug-in I've ever tried was the B&W film simulation of DXO FilmPack in DXO.  I liked it and thought it was handy.  But after I tried to convert my color data to B&W in ACR when I took the B&W challenge by Elsa (Hoffmann), I thought the conversion to my liking was doable only in ACR.

Maybe I just don't know how handy and useful Nik plug-ins are, but personally I'm not very much in need of any plug-in.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 03:39:26 »
Akira: I use channel mixer bw conversion in Photoshop or bw presets via Siver Efx as a plugin with settings and layers to steer the effect into the intended direction.

Never tried ACR.

NX2, now NX-D enable me to pre influence tonality to make it work better with bw conversion later.

Maybe ACR is an interesting option? I feel the starting point of ACR anything is far off what I want, with NX-D I am halways or further there when I start right out of the box
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 04:00:56 »
Frank, thank you for the advice.

I was referring to my newbie conversion for the challenge by Elsa:

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,6779.msg109176.html#msg109176

I simply open my original (color) RAW file, check the "Convert to Grayscale" box under "HSL/Grayscale" tab, and then start to tweak sliders of contrast, highlight, etc.  You can also tweak the tone curves.  Everything can be done in ACR.

You can even "dodge" partially using Adjustment Brush.

I haven't used layers yet, so this is my largest void in my experience with CC2017/2018.  Do I miss something else? (I don't say this by thinking I'm knowledgeable enough for CC.  I simply don't know what is missing!)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 04:37:41 »
Akira: I use channel mixer bw conversion in Photoshop or bw presets via Siver Efx as a plugin with settings and layers to steer the effect into the intended direction.

Never tried ACR.

NX2, now NX-D enable me to pre influence tonality to make it work better with bw conversion later.

Maybe ACR is an interesting option? I feel the starting point of ACR anything is far off what I want, with NX-D I am halways or further there when I start right out of the box

I’ve tried both. I do prefer NX-D as it seems to understand camera sensor and settings better. I only take things into photoshop if I want to do something extensive. Maybe I’m just too lazy to make ACR work for me.

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 08:59:24 »

Probably, but we could be "lucky" if they incorporate it in DxO Photo Labs like they did with U-point. ;)
Chris Dees

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 09:33:02 »
Generally i go at length to personalize my shots, even batched shots i don treat lightly, although i have tried all plugins, you can do any adjustment to accomplish a desired outcome in photoshop.
Plugins do it for you, but within the latitude of the raw file, matter of course.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 09:44:44 »
I'll suggest that when shooting and you are planning a B&W photograph set the PC in your camera to monochrome with a yellow filter. This in time will change one's mindset. Instead of seeing color as color you'll be thinking about how the colors will translate into shades of gray.

When you create your image if it's an NEF you can make full use of the RGB channels to get any filter effect you like, deep red, deep green, deep blue and any combination. You can even change your mind and develop the NEF into a color image. I'm sure there is an equivalent to the Picture Control in any major brand of camera that shoots RAW.

Anyway give it a shot. Shoot RAW and monochrome and see if it works the same magic of loading a 35mm camera with Tri-X or Kodachrome.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 10:09:43 »
Probably, but we could be "lucky" if they incorporate it in DxO Photo Labs like they did with U-point. ;)
Perhaps. But one can also imagine the plugin-compatibility with PS/CC  can change or disappear.  ;)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 10:35:21 »
I simply open my original (color) RAW file, check the "Convert to Grayscale" box under "HSL/Grayscale" tab, and then start to tweak sliders of contrast, highlight, etc.  You can also tweak the tone curves.  Everything can be done in ACR.

You can even "dodge" partially using Adjustment Brush.

I haven't used layers yet, so this is my largest void in my experience with CC2017/2018.  Do I miss something else? (I don't say this by thinking I'm knowledgeable enough for CC.  I simply don't know what is missing!)
Yes. I think PS/CC is the most powerful tool.   Some of the techniques are here described:   http://www.graphics.com/article-old/advanced-black-and-white-conversion-techniques

The Russell Brown Tonal Conversion Technique with two Hue/Saturation adjustment layers and an Brightness/Contrast on top is an effective one, because you can tweak the effect of the colour/hue of the original image on the black and white image.

Example here:  the 'hued' colour one and the BW