Author Topic: Nikon Series E - 36-72/3.5  (Read 23029 times)

stenrasmussen

Nikon Series E - 36-72/3.5
« on: July 10, 2015, 20:19:46 »
After reading Bjørn's tip on how to use this lens for macro work I decided to get one. Ordered from Japan and 5 days later tis on my Df. Cost: 286,- NOK incl. shipping!
Here at 36mm with a PK-12. Sure the lens has it's limits (1.2m shorts focal distance and less than good rendering of point light sources), it is no Lanthar or Otus but with some work I think it works  :)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon Series E - 36-72/3.5
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 09:20:29 »
I got one  a few years ago, when Bjørn posted his original article about using the lens reversed.  I've still never shot with it 'right way around'!
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 23:06:37 »
I have just picked up one of these so have been reading about it. I am off on a short break this month to the Dorset coast and was thinking a zoom of high quality and useful focal length may be a good companion on my Df - I wonder if this is it? It seems to sell for a low amount used but maybe that is because it is under the radar as it were.

So is it good enough to be an 'all day' lens or no?

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 03:07:21 »
If you can live with the rather long 1.2m (4 foot) minimum focus distance, it's not too bad.

My favorite compact zoom is the AF 28-70/3.5-4.5. The zoom range to 28mm makes it a more useful and versatile lens. The build quality is not pro-grade but is fine. Manual handling is ok, the focus ring lacks the silky smooth feel of manual lenses but it's ok for an AF lens and at least the focus throw is long enough to enable precise focusing by hand. And it's an AF lens so you can let the camera do the work too! It has continuous focusing from infinity to 0.39m at all focal lengths so it can do casual closeups (the close range is marked orange for macro, but there are no macro switches, it just focuses close). The filter ring rotates when focusing (the series-E 36-72 is the same) which may be a problem if you use polarizers a lot, but I don't generally find it a problem.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 09:15:18 »
The 36-72 Nikon SE is highly underrated. On a plus side this keeps its selling price very low, on the negative side, people lose out on a good lens.

The long minimum distance is a problem you can solve by adding extension. It can also serve as an excellent true 'macro' lens reversed. Besides visible light,  it works great in IR, not so well for UV.

Ian R

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 22:21:26 »
Thank you Roland and Bjorn for your input. I remembered that I had use of this lens about 8 years ago for just a few shots on one roll - never long enough to appreciate it of course - but I have found one of the photos I took and even on film it looks very encouraging. This would have been Fuji Reala 100.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 13:42:19 »
This thread made me buy this lens.

First impressions are very promising. ESP the bokeh in shot #3 is favourables...

Handling is a bit tricky, because I do not use Zooms in general and the inverter makes the feel even stranger.

Looking through the Viewfinder and seeing the results later is more than rewarding.

I have to find a way to  slow down or fixate the zoomtube, then I can go for tripod use. These were all handheld.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

John Harkus

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 17:07:52 »
By coincidence I just acquired one of these in the last week for a very small outlay, some images attached from this morning's church shoot - John

John Harkus

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 17:10:01 »
Here they are

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 17:51:50 »
bigjay [no real name given]: You are the first to show here what this lens can do unreversed.
second: can you post some more tech info, please?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 18:31:27 »
bigjay [no real name given]: You are the first to show here what this lens can do unreversed.

Not quite true but images still good  :)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 19:40:24 »
Sten: I have a birth defect sunset-photo-ignore condition

stenrasmussen

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 20:21:48 »
Sten: I have a birth defect sunset-photo-ignore condition

Hee, hee...and still, the first image in this thread is with the lens the right way...

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 20:23:37 »
Ok. Pluton said he never mounted it straight.
I thought it was you...

John Harkus

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 22:27:55 »

Hi, they were taken with a DF this morning, if you save the image the metadata is intact.
John H