Author Topic: D800 - optimal ISO  (Read 4137 times)

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: D800 - optimal ISO
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 04:02:15 »
For most things I photograph I set max auto-iso on Df to 10k, but will usually dial down shutter speed or aperture if I see ISO heading up to that territory. If I can keep around 3200 I’m happy. It certainly depends on subject matter and other variables, but I find shooting this way gives me easy and fast control over the things I want to control and sacrifices image quality to make that possible.
     I do agree. And yes, I may sacrifice image quality, too,  to some degree, of course! Our life is full of compromises, for sure... LZ

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: D800 - optimal ISO
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 04:40:17 »
For most things I photograph I set max auto-iso on Df to 10k, but will usually dial down shutter speed or aperture if I see ISO heading up to that territory. If I can keep around 3200 I’m happy. It certainly depends on subject matter and other variables, but I find shooting this way gives me easy and fast control over the things I want to control and sacrifices image quality to make that possible.

Same here, but for limit (12800 on Df). To achieve this, the camera is in A mode, auto ISO with speed set to 1/2*FL, and I prepare the manual mode with speed set at 1/FL ; in dim light situations, I switch to M mode, so the manipulations are minimal - I only regret that the Df mode switch requires one to remove the camera from the eye.

The other important parameter is exposure compensation, but that's not the subject here. As regards aperture, I do not regard it as a parameter that should be primarily affected by exposure because it is primarily about subject isolation (and, possibly, aberration elimination or contrast reduction). So the choice range is narrow.
Airy Magnien