Author Topic: Abandoned houses - Ionian Islands  (Read 2628 times)

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Abandoned houses - Ionian Islands
« on: December 04, 2017, 07:53:24 »
The Ionian islands have suffered an number of major earthquakes over the past half century, especially Kefalonia and Zakinthos. Widespread destruction, particularly in 1953, has led to a significant depopulation of some of the islands, with thousands of people emigrating to new world countries. Many houses now lie in ruins, abandoned by their former occupants, and others are partly inhabited, being slowly rebuilt or put to other uses.

These images were taken a couple of months ago whilst on a sailing trip around the islands, at Asos (on Kefalonia) and Kioni (on Ithaka). The islands are slowly recovering, mainly through tourism, but the economies are still fragile.
Mike Selby - Sydney

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Re: Abandoned houses - Ionian Islands
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 13:33:07 »
It is always sad to see the effects of earthquakes, the architecture looks quite similar to old towns in my corner of the world
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 13:47:09 »
This is not someone else's problem either.  I guess the houses destroyed by the earthquakes make people refrain from purchasing properties, which may keep the economy fragile.

Somewhat bluish hue contrary to the bright sunny islands of my imagination of Greek ironically conveys the difficult situation of the area.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 00:18:45 »
It is always sad to see the effects of earthquakes, the architecture looks quite similar to old towns in my corner of the world
On the other hand, decaying and disintegrating materials are typically rich in visual detail and are often excellent modulators of light.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 07:29:03 »
Interesting images, although they look quite dull almost unsharp on my screen?

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 15:30:44 »

Thanks for comenting, Armando. The human and economic impacts of the earthquake here were obviously immense, and I guess that many of the families who own the derelict buildings here will keep trying to dispose of them one way or another.
Mike Selby - Sydney

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 15:59:33 »
Somewhat bluish hue contrary to the bright sunny islands of my imagination of Greek ironically conveys the difficult situation of the area.

Thanks for commenting, Akira. The Ionian Islands don't feature the dazzling whitewashed and rich blue villages of the Cyclades, but their port towns and villages are equally charming. The crumbling houses do add a sombre tone.

On the other hand, decaying and disintegrating materials are typically rich in visual detail and are often excellent modulators of light.

Yes, they do. Many of the crumbling buildings were very handsome examples of Mediterranean architecture.

Mike Selby - Sydney

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 16:17:32 »
Interesting images, although they look quite dull almost unsharp on my screen?

Thanks for your comments, Fons. The dullness of the exterior surfaces of the buildings was puzzling, but I think that it is because many of them are very chalky and pitted, with flaking paint and lichen in some cases (in contrast with the car in the first image). Hopefully it is not a focusing issue with the camera.

Another contrast...
Mike Selby - Sydney

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 16:58:21 »
Thanks for your comments, Fons. The dullness of the exterior surfaces of the buildings was puzzling, but I think that it is because many of them are very chalky and pitted, with flaking paint and lichen in some cases (in contrast with the car in the first image). Hopefully it is not a focusing issue with the camera.

Another contrast...

No offense meant clearly, what gear did you use on your excursion to the Ionean isles.

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 03:37:21 »
No offense meant clearly, what gear did you use on your excursion to the Ionean isles.

No offence taken at all, Fons. I appreciate your feedback.

All of the original images in the first post except the last one were taken with the AF-S 85/1.8 G lens on a D800e - my most used lens on the trip.
Mike Selby - Sydney