Author Topic: Removal of Df Split Prism  (Read 4758 times)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Removal of Df Split Prism
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 04:26:15 »
Does anyone know if the old F2,F3 screens, once separated from their condensing lens, will fit into a D800?  My old F3 B screen, or maybe the rare and mysterious F screen from the F2/F would be very interesting in the D800.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 07:27:08 »
Searching certain type of screen for mod on the Bay,many time can't get the exact   mode F3 for the project,so I risk myself to tried other like F/F2, and found ok.
Lloyd

My observation is the fruit in the Nikon F through F5 focus screen is all interchangeable. That is an F3 non-Red-Dot focus screen and condenser can be dropped into an F5 or F/F2 focus screen frame. Exposure compensation may be needed but the focus screen registration is the bottom of the screen (not the frame) and the camera body.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 08:51:50 »
Does anyone know if the old F2,F3 screens, once separated from their condensing lens, will fit into a D800?  My old F3 B screen, or maybe the rare and mysterious F screen from the F2/F would be very interesting in the D800.

I'll tentatively say no  I'm not at home or I'd check a reference. I've had a number of these screens apart but I'm not sure my memory is correct.

Dave

---

The registration surface for the F through F5 screens is the bottom or dull side.  The registration surface for the FE/FM2/FM2n/FE2/FM3a are all the top side of the screen. An E2, B2, E3 or B3 screen would be a better bet for a Nikon D800.

Dave

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 16:57:28 »
David, is the registration surface for the Df at top or bottom?

Kenneth

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 23:28:06 »
I believe all dSLR(s) are the top surface because all I've seen have a spring under the focus screen. The D2H had interchangeable focus screens similar to the FE, FM2 and later in the series. I've looked at the D300s and D800. I think the camera with top registration that have official interchangeable screens have a calibrated registration surface while the others use shims for calibration.

If there are mistake will someone with more experience note the errors. Thank you.

Best

Dave Hartman

nikuy

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 03:48:25 »
Hi,Dave,you are correct about most Dslr are top surface,I had the D700 before,and now the Df,all top surface,and same as the D800.
Keith,I think you can mod your old F3 B screen,for your D800,because I did try my D700 screen for the D800,and fit,that I mod from the F3,but the short side a little gap to the body of camera,but not much compare to the Df.
Lloyd

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 15:48:02 »
update: After using the Df without the prism for a month or so, i got irritated and got the split prism back :o :o :o

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 17:38:42 »
I'm still sitting on the fence, David, so I'd like to know a little more about your decision, if you don't mind.

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 00:52:33 »
Kenneth
I installed K3 in my Df quite early on. Unlike the same K3 in D800E, it took a lot of mucking around to get the focus just right - in the end after changing it in and out about 20 times with adjustments with shims, I ended up scratching the screen. Nevertheless, I find it indispensible now and always use it and have them installed in my main cameras.

At one stage I was keen on selling my Df so swapped the screen out - I ended up keeping the camera but truly missed the split prism so installed it back in.

Swapping screens is very easy but getting the focus right was a bit of a mess. In the end, I ended up with the default Nikon metal shims which were already in the camera not needing any further adjustments. I think the default Nikon K3 screen from FocusingScreen.com is almost identical to one already in the camera (I didn't have a vernier at the time) and would certainly live with it without adjustments. Some people don't like the split prism, but if you've used an FM2/FE2 (is darker K2 screen) or grew up like me with Pentax Spotmatic, the split prism with fresnel surrounding is natural. I can send photos of the screen through viewfinder if you want

JJ

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2018, 17:52:06 »
JJ, thank you for your kind/generous offer, but it is a needless effort , as I am no stranger to swapping and using various Nikon screens as a result of my relationship with my F2SB, which started in the 'seventies.  I still have the old film camera, still in great shape, and some half a dozen different screens. What a pity the Df doesn't use the same interchangeable screen system, or a completely dust-proof variation!

Sorry, Richard, for confusing your post with David's and calling you David.

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 22:45:49 »
Kenneth -ok!
I've been using the J screen which came with my F4 - it's so good that I wish it were available for digital. And so exquisitely easy to swap screens too with beautifully precise tolerances. Really, compared to how well machined everything was, new DSLRs are essentially disposable! However, to manufacture something like an F4 today would cost $$$$