Author Topic: APO (or near) Lenses in Nikon F-Mount  (Read 18618 times)

KarlMera

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: APO (or near) Lenses in Nikon F-Mount
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2017, 11:39:27 »
Old Sigma Apo Macro AF 1:5,6 180mm.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2017, 11:52:31 »
Old Sigma Apo Macro AF 1:5,6 180mm.

Why the old and not the newer Sigma 180mm APO macro?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

KarlMera

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2017, 11:58:50 »

I thought that you do not like it. The old 180 has a very good resolution, is Apo and af, and constant 5,6 down to 1:2.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2017, 12:06:20 »

I thought that you do not like it. The old 180 has a very good resolution, is Apo and af, and constant 5,6 down to 1:2.

I was not that impressed by it, but it's OK. My question is why would I like the earlier version better? What are the differences?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2017, 12:06:52 »
Although not APO, the Nikkor 200 f2G II ED VR AFS ranks among the best lenses available. The super-ED element likely has something to do with this

https://www.dxomark.com/best-lenses-for-the-nikon-d810-exceptionally-high-sharpness-and-detail-but-no-advance-over-d800e

https://www.lenstip.com/325.1-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_200_mm_f_2G_ED_VRII.html

The Kenko ext tubes maintain full function of the AF et al

The 200mm AFS f/2.0 does very poorly with extension, again due to floating elements CRC
Erik Lund

KarlMera

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2017, 12:29:32 »

I was not that impressed by it, but it's OK. My question is why would I like the earlier version better? What are the differences?

Its weight is 435g instead of 1640g, excellent resolution, if, af, today it is very cheap.

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2017, 15:09:51 »
Erik, thanks for the detail.  This cross-section proves that.

LZ, sorry for the confusion.
Ah, forget about. Truth is delivering by confusions and discussions. Thanks for posting that cross-section! Yeah, Erik is correct, implementing into another body is more than possible, what I did see! And yes, the focus throw is unusually short, Michael is correct, too,  absolutely! Hmm, even if wobbly, the choice of that old Nikkor AF 55 was not that stupid...  Thanks!   LZ

JKoerner007

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2017, 17:21:19 »

Apparently, the pre-"Global Vision" Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens is better-corrected than the newer Sigma 180mm f/2.8 (as well as the older Sigma 180 f/3.5) macro lenses.

It is apparently better-corrected than the Voigtländer SL 125mm f/2.5 Apo-Lanthar, according to Sigma-sponsored Robert O'Toole:

Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 Apo-Lanthar top row vs Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX OS APO Macro at the bottom

(Note: he mis-labeled the Sigma as 105mm, but he clearly meant 150mm, if you follow the thread.)

Here are his results from another test/thread:

Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro

Voigtländer SL 125mm f/2.5 Apo-Lanthar

Again, this is coming from a Sigma-sponsored photographer, who personally uses the 150mm Sigma over either 180 Sigmas (f/2.8 or f/3.5). (I also remember Bjørn mentioning that, @ 1:1, the Voigtländer has fringing ... and is actually better-corrected at telephoto distances than macro distances.) Still, while better-corrected wide-open, it's not nearly as sharp @ f/2.8 as the CV is at f/2.5.

That said, @ 1:1, if you click on both provided thread topics, there is no AF macro that can compare to Rodenstock, Schneider, or Printer-Nikkor lenses ... however, it seems that the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 comes the closest, as far as CA correction goes. So try it, you might like it. It's fairly-sharp @ f/4, but not so much wide-open, and not like an Otus/or printing lens. Also, it has what's considered 'average' to 'good' bokeh. As finicky as you are, when all is said and done, I am pretty positive you won't like it as well as the Oti or other true Apo lenses. (Hard to go backwards ...)

It might be a great option for fieldwork (where you don't want to bring a whole bunch of gear), but for critical studio shooting, where you can do your absolute best, I don't think you will be happy with it.

Therefore, in closing, it seems to me that (if you're looking for precision automated stacking, and the finest lenses in the world—which are MF, not AF) you should forget the Nikon D850 in-body feature and instead utilize the MF lenses you already have with the Stackshot or the WeMacro automated rail systems. That way, you pair the best of both worlds together, as opposed to trying to mate compromised stacking with compromised lenses. That's my $0.02.

Hope it helps,

Jack

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2017, 17:22:39 »
Michael is correct, too,  absolutely! Hmm, even if wobbly, the choice of that old Nikkor AF 55 was not that stupid...  Thanks!   LZ

Yeah, in order to get as close as possible with this closeup capable lens, it would need the AF 55 that could go up to 1:1, unlike the original MF Micro 55/2.8.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2017, 18:21:34 »
Therefore, in closing, it seems to me that (if you're looking for precision automated stacking, and the finest lenses in the world—which are MF, not AF) you should forget the Nikon D850 in-body feature and instead utilize the MF lenses you already have with the Stackshot or the WeMacro automated rail systems. That way, you pair the best of both worlds together, as opposed to trying to mate compromised stacking with compromised lenses. That's my $0.02.

Hope it helps,

Jack
I'm just curious, but not about to use any automated rail, etc. I am dedicated to the process of stacking focus manually. Using automation to speed things up interests me not at all. What I say to those folks is:

“If you are in such a hurry, on your way home why not pick up some fast food.”

And let’s not forget the old chestnut “No wine before its time,” and all that. In grandma’s time, they cooked all day. It can be a slow process. And “process” is the keyword here, attention to the process. I’m not against progress and even doing things faster, but if in that process, quality is lost, then that loss of quality is not worth the gain in time saved. As they say, “what’s the hurry?” People are not in a hurry to get to the end of the line. LOL.

Economy only interests me when nothing of equal quality is lost. The moment it is, something by definition is lost. This is why digital sampling, like MP3 files, don’t sound as good as the finer .WAV files, and on and on.  Any kind of sampling means something is sacrificed. We can talk about the fact that most people can’t hear the difference, but many can, and you would not catch a recording studio working with MP3s and I own one. It’s the same with DVDs or any sampling.

I run across this every day with storing photographic image files. I am happy to have image files compressed as long as it is “lossless” compression and not “lossy” compression, etc. I would not give up my corrected lenses for all the speed in China. Just curious. Careful attention to the process of photographing, IMO, is the way to go, and the best results come from that as well.

Jack, thanks for answering. Here is an old manually-stacked image, not sure what camera body or lens.

JKoerner007

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2017, 19:16:44 »
I'm just curious, but not about to use any automated rail, etc. I am dedicated to the process of stacking focus manually. Using automation to speed things up interests me not at all. What I say to those folks is:

“If you are in such a hurry, on your way home why not pick up some fast food.”

And let’s not forget the old chestnut “No wine before its time,” and all that. In grandma’s time, they cooked all day. It can be a slow process. And “process” is the keyword here, attention to the process. I’m not against progress and even doing things faster, but if in that process, quality is lost, then that loss of quality is not worth the gain in time saved. As they say, “what’s the hurry?” People are not in a hurry to get to the end of the line. LOL.

The only reason to hurry would be on a stack of a live subject, which may move before you're able to finish a slower, more deliberate stack.

For flowers and such, I agree, there is no reason to hurry.

Economy only interests me when nothing of equal quality is lost. The moment it is, something by definition is lost. This is why digital sampling, like MP3 files, don’t sound as good as the finer .WAV files, and on and on.  Any kind of sampling means something is sacrificed. We can talk about the fact that most people can’t hear the difference, but many can, and you would not catch a recording studio working with MP3s and I own one. It’s the same with DVDs or any sampling.

I run across this every day with storing photographic image files. I am happy to have image files compressed as long as it is “lossless” compression and not “lossy” compression, etc. I would not give up my corrected lenses for all the speed in China. Just curious. Careful attention to the process of photographing, IMO, is the way to go, and the best results come from that as well.

Agreed.

Interestingly, when you and I debated the CV 125 f/2.5 vs. Sigma 180 f/2.8 a few years ago, according to OToole's tests, the 180 is actually preferable to the Sigma 150, sharpness-wise. While the topic of his (and your) thread was lack of CA, what his images showed me was the lack of sharpness in the Sigma 150, wide-open, although it is better-corrected. The Sigma 180 is easily on a par with the CV 125, at f/2.8 (2.5), in both sharpness and correction (@1:1). So, while the 150 is better-corrected wide-open, it is nowhere near as sharp:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219441

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35405

In the end, therefore, the Sigma 180 would probably suit you better than the 150 (paired with the D850 for in-body stacking), offering comparable results to the CV 125. The trouble is, it is a bigger, more cumbersome lens.

Thanks to you, for nature-stacking, I personally love the CV 125's 630° of focus throw, which removes the need for programming a D850 on a live subject (as well as the need for a manual rail), both of which take time to set-up and implement. A CV 125, and a tripod, can capture wildlife/arthropod stacks quite easily on their own.

For flower stacks (in nature or in studio) I agree the StackShot and WeMacro rails are superfluous. Most flower shots are @ 1:4 to 1:2, mostly, so a good manual rail is all you need. Even for 1:1, an automated rail isn't that important, because any movement at these non-critical magnifications can be compensated-for with stacking software.

However, where these automated-rail offerings become invaluable is in greater-than-1:1 extreme macro, where the limitations/subtle movements of manual rails are unacceptable ... and the precision (not the speed) of automated rails becomes mandatory.

Jack, thanks for answering. Here is an old manually-stacked image, not sure what camera body or lens.

You bet ... and very nice.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2017, 19:27:26 »
In the end, therefore, the Sigma 180 would probably suit you better than the 150 (paired with the D850 for in-body stacking), offering comparable results to the CV 125. The trouble is, it is a bigger, more cumbersome lens.

Well, I agree with everything your say, except that the Sigma 180 Macro APO is comparable to the CV-125. I bought the Sigma 180 Macro (latest version) based on your review, so I know first-hand IMO what it can do. The Sigma 180 Macro is no CV-125. It just lacks the magic touch of the CV-125, IMO. We could argue for hours about that, but my eyes see what my eyes see. In fact I just took some shots with the CV-125 today, but they are not stacked yet. I will try to post one here, if I remember.

JKoerner007

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2017, 19:35:25 »
Well, I agree with everything your say, except that the Sigma 180 Macro APO is comparable to the CV-125. I bought the Sigma 180 Macro (latest version) based on your review, so I know first-hand IMO what it can do. The Sigma 180 Macro is no CV-125. It just lacks the magic touch of the CV-125, IMO. We could argue for hours about that, but my eyes see what my eyes see. In fact I just took some shots with the CV-125 today, but they are not stacked yet. I will try to post one here, if I remember.

I was going by the sharpness results of OToole's tests on a B&W subject.

In color rendering, I am sure the Sigma 180 doesn't do what the CV 125 does, so in the end we agree, which is why I sold the Sigma 180 and purchased the CV 125.

Even with the D850's in-body focus stacking, my point was I am not selling my CV 125 and getting a big, honkin' 180mm macro lens ... but will stick to the compact size (and wonderful 630° of focus throw) on the CV 125 for nature stacks.

Another huge bonus is, I can put my CV 125 in a side-pouch, when I hike, and it fits nicely along with my AI-S lenses.

No way could I put a Sigma 150/180 macro in a side-pouch.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2017, 19:40:38 »
I was going by the sharpness results of OToole's tests on a B&W subject.

In color rendering, I am sure the Sigma 180 doesn't do what the CV 125 does, so in the end I sold the Sigma 180 and purchased the CV 125.

Even with the D850's in-body focus stacking, my point was I am not selling my CV 125 and getting a big, honkin' 180mm macro lens ... but will stick to the compact size (and wonderful 630° of focus throw) on the CV 125 for nature stacks.

Another huge bonus is, I can put my CV 125 in a side-pouch, when I hike, and it fits nicely along with my AI-S lenses.

No way could I put a Sigma 150/180 macro in a side-pouch.

I hear you. It seems we are on the same page. The world does need, right now, for Nikon F-Mount, IMO, a very high-quality APO Macro lens, better than anything else out there, like an Otus-level. Right now, my best lenses are used on the Cambo Actus and I will use them with the Sony A7R3, which I have on order.

JKoerner007

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2017, 19:48:50 »
Yep.

I will wind up getting the D850, probably by next spring, and I believe it will be my last camera purchase for a long time.

I believe the in-camera stacking will be of more benefit to landscape AF lenses than macro, at least at this stage.

Right now, the D810 still serves me well @ base ISO and I don't see the need to change at the moment.

I anticipate Nikon will be upgrading the old 200 Micro-Nikkor ... but who knows if it will be Apo or not. Hope so.

Cheers.