Author Topic: APO (or near) Lenses in Nikon F-Mount  (Read 18596 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: APO (or near) Lenses in Nikon F-Mount
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 08:55:51 »
Let me predict this: there is no AF APO lens which will satisfy Michael's requirements.

I thought so. I would sure own it if it existed!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 10:55:23 »
I thought so. I would sure own it if it existed!
Have you ever tried the Coastal 60mm f4.0 APO (Or even Superchromatic) glass in Nikon mount? LZ

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 10:59:32 »
Have you ever tried the Coastal 60mm f4.0 APO (Or even Superchromatic) glass in Nikon mount? LZ

LZ, Michael is now looking for an AF lens.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 11:18:22 »
Yes, I know, to try this new D850 option, but my question to Frank.  What I did see 5-6 years ago, was the Coastal optical block inside the old Nikkor 55 macro AF body. AF worked, but aperture was manual.  LZ

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 11:35:30 »
Yes, I know, to try this new D850 option, but my question to Frank.  What I did see 5-6 years ago, was the Coastal optical block inside the old Nikkor 55 macro AF body. AF worked, but aperture was manual.  LZ

Oh, I didn't know that.  However, the coastal 60/4.0 incorporates CRC.  I'm not sure the transplanted optics of 60/4.0 would work correctly in the mechanism of AF micro.  If the CRC doesn't work correctly, it may show the chromatic aberration in addition to other aberrations.

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 11:44:34 »
No idea coz I was not allowed to try it or even put my hands on it! But owner said it was absolutely to original Coastal specs. I couldn't imagine how much that hand-made combo would cost...  LZ

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 11:53:29 »
Hmmm...that's hard to believe...

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2017, 12:12:01 »
Why? I did see on E-Bay Contax portraiture lens inside the Nikkor old AF lens body, couple times, and something else, often enough, couple times in last year.   Everything is possible, especially if CRC of the Coastal was turning to the same with Nikkor direction.  Helicoid could be custom, too, not big deal, or simply used original. LZ

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2017, 12:24:50 »
As far as I understand it Michael is interested in an AF APO in F-Mount for his work. Quite possible he wants to try the Auto Function "Focus Stacking" of the D850. Michael is not a very technical person so he would likely prefer am AF Otus out of the box. In MF there are lots of options for APO lenses and Michael has the best of them already.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2017, 13:15:13 »
Why? I did see on E-Bay Contax portraiture lens inside the Nikkor old AF lens body, couple times, and something else, often enough, couple times in last year.   Everything is possible, especially if CRC of the Coastal was turning to the same with Nikkor direction.  Helicoid could be custom, too, not big deal, or simply used original. LZ

The original barrel of Coastal uses the conventional helicoid, but AF Micro Nikkor 55/2.8 uses the cam system.  He would have to create a new cam for the optics of the Coastal 60/4.0 because the amount of the compensation wouldn't be the sam as that of the optics of 55mm micro.

Contax portraiture lens like the older Planar 85/1.4 has no CRC and is of a simple rack focus type, so it should be possible to transplant the optics to some appropreate AF barrel, as Rick (richardhaw) transplanted the optics of the 50mm Biotar (Industar?) into the barrel of an AF Nikkor.

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2017, 13:44:28 »
No problem to remove the original Nikkor cam, at all, with extra tube,  and set inside the Coastal original helicoid, with hand-made  middle adjusting tube. The problem is, how to connect the AF chip, especially if new helicoid is turning to opposite direction, or the CRC doing so. What is a real problem here, not the primitive enough mechanical job. That's why I am saying I've no idea how much this lens would cost, after all... THX!   LZ

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2017, 07:42:30 »
As mentioned, I would like to try out the feature on the D850 that (using autofocus lenses) automatically stacks images. However, it’s more of a sidebar for me because I am quite happy stacking images manually, since in my kind of photography the entire process is what I enjoy and not just the resulting photos. And I can stack pretty well manually.

So, I am not in a hurry to get to the traditional end result (photo), but IMO consider the whole process of photography the end result. I also find that the more I focus on the process, the better the resulting photos are. Make sense?

And I don’t see any low-hanging fruit (as they say) in terms of APO-level autofocus lenses available to me. Where are they? If I wanted to use my collection of APO lenses for automatic focus-stacking, I could buy a mechanized focus rail and mount manual lenses on that, which would give me at least a ballpark idea of what that is like. But I have never felt the need to do so. I am not a lens mechanic, so I don’t take lenses apart, aside from adapting mounts, like converting Leica-R lenses to Nikon-F mounts, etc.

As for the Coastal Optics 60mm APO Macro, I had one and used it for many years, but finally sold it. While it was a very well corrected lens, it was poorly-designed lens shell, IMO. Why make a fine lens for close-up (perhaps forensic) work with a very short focus throw? I used to have to mount the Coastal Optics 60mm on a focus rail in order to use it properly. It had no hood, not to mention a huge hot spot for close-up work (and it was a macro lens!). It also had, IMO, trouble with variable or mottled light, like you would find with sunlight coming through the leaves in a forest. So, the designer of the optics (aside from the hot spot) did well, but the mechanical aspects of the lens showed little foresight IMO.

So, the only thing the new feature of auto-stacking in the D850 offers me is speed. And I well understand that speed can be important with changing light conditions or subjects that otherwise will move. But speed would only be useful to me with highly-corrected lenses. I don’t need speed if all I have are lenses that are not well corrected. For me, well-corrected “APO” lenses offer me a “sharpness” that only refined color correction can offer. It is not all about acutance.

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2017, 10:39:03 »
Oh, I didn't know that.  However, the coastal 60/4.0 incorporates CRC.  I'm not sure the transplanted optics of 60/4.0 would work correctly in the mechanism of AF micro.  If the CRC doesn't work correctly, it may show the chromatic aberration in addition to other aberrations.

Costal optics 60mm has a two group set up of the lens elements, the rear group stays at the same position while focusing, while the front group moves.

So it could be switched relatively easy into another lens barrel,,,

The old AF Micro NIkkor 55mm would not be my choice, it's one of the most wobbly assemblies ever build by Nikon ever,,, but ok - it should work,,,
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2017, 10:43:29 »
Costal optics 60mm has a two group set up of the lens elements, the rear group stays at the same position while focusing, while the front group moves.

Erik, thanks for the detail.  This cross-section proves that.

LZ, sorry for the confusion.

chambeshi

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2017, 10:47:41 »
Although not APO, the Nikkor 200 f2G II ED VR AFS ranks among the best lenses available. The super-ED element likely has something to do with this

https://www.dxomark.com/best-lenses-for-the-nikon-d810-exceptionally-high-sharpness-and-detail-but-no-advance-over-d800e

https://www.lenstip.com/325.1-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_200_mm_f_2G_ED_VRII.html

The Kenko ext tubes maintain full function of the AF et al