Author Topic: Creative Cloud 2018 out!!!  (Read 24340 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Creative Cloud 2018 out!!!
« on: October 19, 2017, 11:15:03 »
Please post all comments & experience concerning the new release here!!!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: Creative Cloud 2018 out!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 11:39:24 »
version 2017.1.1

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 12:36:36 »
Whatever the number ...

it is Photoshop 19.0 Release & the very first version of Lightroom CC as a cloud based version in addition to "Lightroom CC classic" & Release 2018 of Adobe Creative Cloud for Teams...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 12:56:41 »
And removal of the option of a perpetual licence for Lightroom; the D850 RAW update is the last for perpetual licence owners.

Affinity here I come.

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 14:23:29 »
Thom Hogan has suggested that LR perpetual is not the only unfavoured child: Adobe appears to see cloud-based processing as the future and to have limited enthusiasm for Lightroom Classic CC (http://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/software-for-nikon-dslrs/software-news/digital-photography-softwar/lightroom-fragments.html).

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 15:02:15 »
Please post all comments & experience concerning the new release here!!!

I'm more interested in alternatives as there's no perpetual licence for Lightroom anymore.
I don't want to get into a subscription model nor cloud-based processing.
Chris Dees

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 16:16:30 »
I am very happy with the subscription model. I pay 8,99€ per month, I know Adobe thrives and keeps developing the application. They have to pay developers by moth and I pay them by month in return.

Earlier I had to shell out a bigger sum every other year just to buy some outdated suite that rarely got some updates and Adobe had  trouble making ends meet.

Only thing I critizise is that Photoshop is cheap and that I cannot have Indesign for a little bit more. If I want Indesign I have to pay more than four times of what I have to pay today and I get lots of Software I just do not need. I never use Lightroom already, I nearly never use Bridge, I have the Illustrator license of an older Version and I do not install it because I do not use it.

I want Photoshop, Indesign and Acrobat for 15 a month. Would be a great deal. All the other stuff I do neither need nor want anyway....

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 16:59:23 »
Adobe has already gone to Subscription, so I propose we don't discuss Subscription vs. License in this thread.

I am a heavy LR user but like many have been frustrated by performance. Here are my observations on the new announcements:

* I do very much like being able to edit on multiple synced machines including iPad Pro. This necessitates some Cloud connections. I am not sure I like the way they did it. If I move to another tool, having mobile and desktop synced edits is the killer feature for me. (Your needs might be different)

* I don't think I like having all of my RAW files in the cloud, this is a change from their Smart Preview way. I have to think about this more. I need to have the RAWs somewhere to back them up. Would trust Amazon or Google more with my cloud files.  In any cloud, backup flows are a key consideration.

* Simplified UI I like. Loss of key functions I don't like, hopefully these come back in
* I have been really liking LR iPad, so the new web version looks a lot like that, clean.
* I like the idea of my casual iPhone shots being integrated with my traditional collection. Making all images together, sort of like Mylio (http://mylio.com/) if you are familiar with that. I haven't tried this with the new LR but it looks like it is all more integrated. I think this was possible in LR Mobile already but had never tried.
* I think i read you can't Print from the new version, that may be just a short term limitation?
* I like the hypbrid cloud processing -- i.e. their behind the scenes indexing
* I like cloud software in general as the provider (Adobe) can more rapidly change things.
* I am now more interested in the integrated adobe Portfolio and Spark tools. Had not paid much attention to them. This new release makes the Adobe web ecosystem more interesting.

* On LightRoom Classic -- they have an import mechanism to mimic PhotoMechanic. I currently use PM to cull, so this could be a big win if it works. It has barely been talked about in the articles.

I have been debating leaving LightRoom for about two years. This changes the equation but too early to tell in which direction for me!

Would like to hear from other LR or ex-LR users.

Rob.

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 17:15:33 »

Adobe has already gone to Subscription, so I propose we don't discuss Subscription vs. License in this thread.

Not all, LR6 is standalone and no subscription needed.
They'll update camera/lens profiles until the end of this year and then stop.
Next week there will be an update which includes the D850. I guess that will be the last interesting one.
Chris Dees

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 18:40:18 »
Being in the IT industry - the new rage is cloud based services, subscriptions.  Not just with photo software, but with everything.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 18:49:47 »
And removal of the option of a perpetual licence for Lightroom; the D850 RAW update is the last for perpetual licence owners.

Affinity here I come.

Hmm, I’m using PS CC now, but have been thinking about switching back to my old PS CS 6, which I still have somewhere :-). My D4s is not compatible with that version (ACR), but since I use Capture NX- D for my initial adjustments, I might end up with the PS CS6 after all.....

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 19:13:48 »
we are not perpetual so why should we need a perpetual license

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 20:57:10 »
People want to control their costs. If someone uses a camera for five years or more and doesn’t need updates to software, why should they have to pay for software changes that they don’t need? Many people have simple needs and older versions would work fine. Many people also prefer stability in their work environment; frequent changes in software can mean time is wasted learning around unnecessary changes.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 23:03:50 »
People want to control their costs. If someone uses a camera for five years or more and doesn’t need updates to software, why should they have to pay for software changes that they don’t need? Many people have simple needs and older versions would work fine. Many people also prefer stability in their work environment; frequent changes in software can mean time is wasted learning around unnecessary changes.

If Adobe decides they do not want these customers anymore, someone else will step in.

Steve Jobs wanted to create a graphics suite "Photoshop Killer" but he is dead and I do see nothing in Tim Cook's pipeline....

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 10:17:18 »
I have installed all the updates i.e. Lightroom Classic CC, Lightroom CC, and Photoshop CC on my desktop (MacBook Pro 2016), and the new versions of Lightroom Mobile on both my iPad and iPhone.  The major purpose of the two latter, is to do some basic editing (essentially, picture selection and reframing).

My old method of working i.e. major editing on the desktop and some basic (pre)editing on tablet etc, still works; I have now an additional Lr CC on my desktop which, for the time being, I don't find of much usage.  But the interaction between cloud (Lr Mobile) and desktop (Lr Classic) seems to (continue to) work. In my case, the 20 GO of allowed cloud space is used only for storing the dynamic links which are automatically created, once you decided to make an album available to Lightroom Mobile from your Lr desktop application, and which takes about 6 GB out of the 20 GB for storing about 21'000 dynamic pictures.

First impressions of Lr Classic: not much of change except the new masking methods and the fact that everything goes even much faster. Small side remark: the process used by Lr is now called Version 4, replacing Version 3 (2012), and when you edit a 2012 version with the existing Lr, a small lightning arrow appears, when, If you click on, allows tu upgrade the picture to Version 4 (not of much usage, I believe).

For my working environment, no much changes, and I can continue to store my pictures locally, while benefitting from the Cloud environment to do remote selection end editing.

With regard to Ps CC (new version), no feedback for the time being; the only thing I tried, is the very powerful Sensei search engine, which allows you to search images without pre-stored keywords.

These are my first impressions. Maybe more to come.

PS: I have always chosen for the annual subscription model. Which costs me about 1(one)% of the Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL VR I'm planning to buy ....
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν