Author Topic: Chipping 55mm f/1.2 Dandelion  (Read 11141 times)

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
Re: Chipping 55mm f/1.2 Dandelion
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2023, 21:13:48 »
I vaguely remember programming a dandelion with a Z and ZFC. I think it’s worth the risk.

My problems were sticking the buggers to a lens in such a way that it didn’t mangle the contacts.

According to my notes, you have to check the diameter of the internal baffle of the lens you want to chip, if it's between 34.62 mm and 36.22 mm you can glue the chip without further work, if the diameter is above 36.22 mm you have to dremel out some metal (to reach the above range), if it's below 34.62 mm you have to add some shims, or the pins won't make contact. Probably the lens you were trying to chip was having a baffle diameter above 36.22 mm, and it was too tight on the contacts, eventually breaking them. A safe value is about 35.2-35.4 mm, about midway between the minimum and maximum diameters.

Ciao from Massimo

Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2023, 21:32:58 »
Now that you mention it... It's not a bad idea to program the chip using a Nikon Z camera, in case you damage the contacts, you damage them on the cheaper FTZ adapter instead of a costly camera. I'll try the programming with the Viltrox NF-Z adapter which costs about half of an FTZ/FTZII (best price found: 114,44€, from Viltrox France) , so the risk is even lower (and you can have a good look at the contacts from the rear of the FTZ/NFZ) 

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2023, 03:21:13 »
I wonder if it would be possible to create an FTZ adapter (Nikon or third party) where you could dial in the lens focal length and aperture. Instead of adding a CPU to the lens, the adapter could tell the Z camera which lens is mounted. The drawback is that you would need to remember to reset the adapter each time you change lenses, but it would mean there is no need to add a CPU to every lens.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2023, 09:20:07 »
I wonder if it would be possible to create an FTZ adapter (Nikon or third party) where you could dial in the lens focal length and aperture. Instead of adding a CPU to the lens, the adapter could tell the Z camera which lens is mounted. The drawback is that you would need to remember to reset the adapter each time you change lenses, but it would mean there is no need to add a CPU to every lens.
My dream FTZ adapter is one with an Ai feeler and an encoder passing the aperture to the Z body, and maybe a small screwdriver motor to allow AF for the AF-D lenses. No need to have a battery inside the FTZ, it could be powered from the camera's battery.

Unfortunately, the possible customer base is very small compared to mainstream customers, and Nikon probably will concentrate on other, more profitable projects. Maybe an independent developer...

Ciao from Massimo

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2023, 09:26:29 »
The first lens I chipped I used a CPU from an AF 35-70 mm f/3.3-4.5 and installed it in a Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5

I simply shorted the circuit at the 55mm zoom setting, that had an aperture setting equal to f/3.5  8) This was back in the F4 and F5 film camera days  :o

Yes one could make an focal length selection zoom ring on an adapter.

We have made, Birna's idea, a couple of switch operated solutions with several CPU's in an adapter and focus mounts, this is a simple way that could be done with multiple custom CPU's as well.
Erik Lund

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2023, 15:38:07 »

What you're thinking about just duplicates the Non-CPU Menu present in most  digital cameras except early and basic ones (not present in: D1, D1H, D1X, D70, D70s, D3xxx D5xxx D7xxx series), all Z series cameras have the NON-CPU menu, except the Z50. Haven't read the Z30 manual yet.

It does not solve the major problem  of the non-CPU menu: if you forget to change lens type, the EXIF will reflect previous lens data.
The addition of dandelion allows a series of benefits:
  • Instant change of lens type the moment you clip in the new lens
  • Enables the focus confirmation (dot), not enabled by the CPU menu alone
  • Enable focus-trapping: keeping the shooting button pressed, you turn the MF dial, and when in focus, click! goes the shot automatically
  • For every lens, you have 17 levels of adjustment of the optimal focus point in a manner similar to the AF fine tune menu. Data is saved in the Dande Chip, personalised  for each lens
  • You can select which way you control the aperture (personalised and saved in-chip): either via the front camera dial, or from the lens' dial

I think the benefits are worth the 30 extra €/$ you spend on each lens.

Problem still unsolved: you can only dial in a single value for a zoom lens. the EXIF will report that value as the focal length used (same as with the non-CPU menu). Not a big deal, but if you chip for example the 200-600mm/9.5 or the 50-300/4.5 there's a huge difference if you describe your lens as 50 and shoot at 300. I prefer NOT to chip my zoom lenses, and change the non-cpu type menu on the fly (dedicated button on Z bodies).

Ciao from Massimo

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2023, 16:32:29 »
Z30 and Z fc both have the non-CPU menu

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2023, 18:19:13 »
Z30 and Z fc both have the non-CPU menu

I had just read the Z30 manual (have the Zfc and it's the most obvious one having the non-CPU menu, being a DX "clone" of  the Df), so the only one CPU-menu-less camera is the Z50.

For me it was a simple choice between Zfc and Z50, with all the non-CPU lenses I have (above 100, after I chipped another 20), the obvious choice was the Zfc 8)

BTW, the Viltrox NF-Z adapter has arrived, it has a USB-C connector for reprogramming the firmware, and a black velvet lining of the inner tube, weighs only 10g more than the FTZ. (114,44€ vs about 300€). I tried programming with my Z7, and the 1"-6"-1" sequence lets the attached dandelion lens enter programming mode. Voilà!

AF works on the 8-15 fisheye-Nikkor, I'm certain it will AF on all my other lenses. Will have to try it on Sigma Art 24/1.4, it wouldn't AF on my D810, it did on D600 and D7000 (but I haven't tried upgrading the Sigma firmware on its programming docking base) . Another nerdy task!

Ciao from Massimo

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2023, 17:12:03 »
Good news, I tried the Sigma Art 24/1.4 with FTZ and NF-Z, and I got the following results:

With original FTZ (latest firmware upgrade, v.1.10): does NOT AF (a clear sign that Nikon couldn't care less about compatibility with competitors' lenses :(   )
With NF-Z: it DOES AF, and is perfectly compatible.

Please note that the reported firmware is the same (v.1.10), both for FTZ and NF-Z, but the Viltrox works and Nikon doesn't.

Food for thought...

Ciao from Massimo

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2023, 23:04:45 »
Strange. I am ordering some chips right now, and just got this, after I said I would program using z6 and FTZ.

Has this always been the case?

I still have a D750 though :)
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2023, 09:37:47 »
Strange. I am ordering some chips right now, and just got this, after I said I would program using z6 and FTZ.

Has this always been the case?

I still have a D750 though :)

Good that he mentioned this, I didn't know!

The focus trapping feature is a toggle, and depending on the camera you're going to use your lens, you can enable it or disable it.
Andrey recommends to disable it for Z cameras, and he knows better.
What you'll receive is a chip programmed with the following:
2.8 maximum aperture
45mm focal length
focus trapping disabled
Optimal focus point on position 9
22 minimum aperture

So, if for example you want to enable focus trapping (starting fom the DISABLED status), you'll do the following:
Set your camera to manual exposure mode, 1/3 stop increments, and MF, and shooting always enabled (even in the absence of a memory card, even if out-of-focus)
Turn on the camera. Shoot @ 1", dial 6" and shoot again, dial 1" and shoot again.
After these three shots, on your top LCD display you'll see the f-stop indicator cycling (starting at 2.8, 4.5, 5.6, 10, 20, 40, 60, 90). You have successfully entered programming mode!
If you do nothing, after three entire cycles  through the above f-stops, the display stops cycling, and you've exited programming mode (having done nothing!)
For toggling the focus trapping, you have to wait until you see 5.6 on the top LCD, and shoot a 1" exposure. Focus block changes state (from disabled to enabled). Turn off camera before changing anything else.

If you don't remember the status of your camera, you can restore it to factory default, by the following sequence:
1"-6"-1" sequence
Wait until 90 is displayed (= RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULT)
Shoot a 1" exposure
Now the chip is reset to 45mm/2.8-22, focus trapping disabled, optimal focus on position 9. Turn off camera to consolidate.

You can do it as many times as you want

This small explanation does not go into detail of the other programming steps (max aperture, ...), but you'll receive complete instructions, so I don't want to duplicate Andrey's efforts...

Hope it's clear enough, Ciao from Massimo

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2023, 09:45:52 »
You are a guru!

He did offer the option of focus trapping on or off, for Z, but I said no as I had no idea what it means.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2023, 09:49:09 »
Another observation:

After trying Dande programming on Z cameraz, I find that the top display has smallish figures compared to D-series top display. I think my future Dandelion programming will be with a D-series Nikon (better view of what you're doing!), or using the Z's rear display (pressing the DSP switch until all shooting parameters are displayed), not the Z's top display (TOO SMALL)

Ciao from Massimo

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2023, 10:00:24 »

If you don't remember the status of your camera Dandelion chipped lens, you can restore it to factory default, by the following sequence:
1"-6"-1" sequence
Wait until 90 is displayed (= RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULT)
Shoot a 1" exposure
Now the chip is reset to 45mm/2.8-22, focus trapping disabled, optimal focus on position 9. Turn off camera to consolidate.
Hi, thank you for the update on Dandelion programming! I believe you meant Lens, not camera?
Erik Lund

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2023, 10:11:14 »
Hi, thank you for the update on Dandelion programming! I believe you meant Lens, not camera?
Yes, remove the word camera altogether!

I tried the Viltrox on Sigma 35/1.4, perfect AF, nogo on original FTZ

Ciao from Massimo