Author Topic: The Monster Telephoto Nikkor Lenses  (Read 6622 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: The Monster Telephoto Nikkor Lenses
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2017, 04:04:05 »
HELP!

I am aware that some Nikon telephoto monster lenses need a filter to go to infinity. :o :o :o

Now, my question is this: does the 360-1200mm f/11 need the filter to do that? Thanks!

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2017, 05:16:32 »
Not that I am aware of. This lens can accept 122mm front filters but they don't affect infinity focus. This lens does not accept internal filters, which can displace the focus point a little, but it would make little difference on a telephoto like this anyway. Telephotos with ED glass are designed to focus past infinity (to allow for thermal expansion/contraction) so there is already plenty of allowance for changes to infinity focus.

Removing the internal/rear filter does make a big difference at the other extreme - on my 16mm fisheye taking the rear filter off makes the lens focus closer, which is handy at times, but infinity focus is lost.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2017, 08:35:36 »
HELP!

I am aware that some Nikon telephoto monster lenses need a filter to go to infinity. :o :o :o

Now, my question is this: does the 360-1200mm f/11 need the filter to do that? Thanks!

No. It does not.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2017, 11:14:11 »

I have never heard of this, quite the opposite, they focus 'past infinity',,,

Are you in trouble,,, just reassemble the elements until you find the one that is reversed,,,
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2017, 15:18:23 »
OK, I fixed it! it's just that the helicoid got caught on something and I needed to use force to have it sit all the way  :o :o :o

now it's done!

one thing that I notice about this lens is that the iris at f/11 isn't really fully-open. It can only be like this since I didn't mess around with this. the only way this could F up us if somebody else opened this prior to me and got it wrong which I doubt. It is pretty sharp at f/11! lots of details! this is great for taking pictures of dangerous situations or wild animals. for me, this will have plenty of application on a nudist beach ::) couple it with a D850 and it's a winner!

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2017, 16:16:31 »
Question about the monster lenses in the OP -- are the biggest ones hand assembled? I don't know much about how the specialized glass and lenses are made!

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2017, 03:41:00 »
I guess that some current high volume lenses are partially machine assembled, but all the older manual focus lenses would be completely hand assembled, and modern low volume lenses like the super-teles are probably built by hand also.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 03:45:45 »
Accoding to this video posted in 2009, Canon superteles were hand assembled.  I don't think Nikon does it too differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Oyud3EA9kE

Recently Canon announced that they were planning to build a new factory in which the assembly process would be highly automated.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira