Author Topic: D850 & Nikon AF-S 200-500mm combo try out...  (Read 2118 times)

Stany Buyle

• NG Member
  • I used to think Nikon forever but now Canon user..
    • nikonuser.info
D850 & Nikon AF-S 200-500mm combo try out...
« on: September 10, 2017, 08:28:56 »
Good morning!

Yesterday I was trying my nikon 200-500 on D850 and I am very happy with the results.

The images are totally unprocessed, as if they came straight out of the camera, with exception of ©

Picture style was set to A(uto), new since D850, and I love it. Just enough sharpness and saturation with pleasing natural colours.
Camera was set to M (as I shoot most of the time), F5.6 and auto iso.

You might think, "It's just a pigeon...", and that's right but I don't have eagles in my garden , and feather detail is what counts in a camera evaluation. If feather detail is OK for the pigeon, it will be OK for an eagle as well.  ;)

When you click on the 1000px longest side picture, the full size jpg (BIG file..)  will open in your browser.

A shot on further distance:

And a close up:

Kindest regards,
Stany

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: D850 & Nikon AF-S 200-500mm combo try out...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 13:44:14 »
Very well done, Stany! Fine Tune is precise, the combo looks absolutely harmonious!  I am very sorry for ones who will follow the so-called "Experts" without even try the lenses "not recommended" - big mistake! Very good lens that 200-500, just too big and heavy for me, personally, sorry for that. Just take another look, guys, how good is covering of so high resolving sensor! Fantastic result, even before any PP! Thanks for posting, please continue!    LZ

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: D850 & Nikon AF-S 200-500mm combo try out...
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 20:02:10 »
My experience with the 200/500 was on the D500 most of the time and I liked it very much. Because it is too heavy for me I left it home most of the time and replaced it with the 300PF, a 300€ upgrade at the time. The 4/300PF is in my bag all the time and I use it very often
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Stany Buyle

• NG Member
  • I used to think Nikon forever but now Canon user..
    • nikonuser.info
one more from this morning...
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 20:31:34 »
And one more from this morning...
Please take into consideration that the closest shooting distance of this lens is 2.2 meters, and it's designed to do tele, not macro  ;) ...

Underneath picture is the best shot out of 6 attempts

Taken handheld with 200-500 on D850, iso 320, 1/1000sec, F7.1

The scene, resized to 1000px longest side:

And a 100% crop:

Thanks for your attention and kindest regards,
Stany