Author Topic: Borneo Adventure  (Read 12486 times)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
Borneo Adventure
« on: September 04, 2017, 03:30:32 »
Why Borneo?

The curious thing is that the preliminary announcement of the D5, and my pre-order for one, actually triggered the entire adventure!

Having blindly pre-ordered the D5 (on only Nikon's published specs. and as yet unseen by virtually everyone), I then cruised the Internet (looking for any Nikon D5 pre-release camera testers and hoping to see some examples of their results). And I discovered Ling!

Ling is a very gifted professional photographer from Singapore and a delightful phone conversation with her convinced me to meet her in Borneo and then go on to Singapore after that.  I was on the Web within minutes to look for flight schedules.

[I had arranged months before to meet-up with my son and grand-daughter in London in June so it seemed entirely sensible to take a shortcut from New York to London via Dublin, Borneo and Singapore.]

The D5, being heralded as the King of the Night suggested that Jungle-shooting (especially at night) might be a great way to test my new camera and I dreamt of photographing Orang Utans in their native forests and even of photographing a Slow Loris in the dark of night with a fast Nikon.

I was very lucky with the Orang Utans and, although I never found a Slow Loris, I also had extraordinary good fortune in having the chance to photograph other other extremely rare and threatened species which are indigenous only to Borneo in the short week that I spent in Borneo.

Orang Utans: the "Men of the Trees":

Jungle-shooting is very different from shooting in the South African Veldt: you do a lot of walking; and just waiting while hoping to see something move; and then a lot of standing with trigger-finger poised waiting to get the chance of a clear shot through the leaves because 12 fps of a solid barricade of tree leaves is not that useful!

The major obstacles are the Jungle itself because the trees are incredibly tall (often nearly 200 feet high) and thickly leafed and the under-story of bushes and vines is also very dense. Some of the Parashorea malaanonan  trees (in the Dipterocarpus family) reach more than 72 m (230 ft.) in the Danum Valley.

This dense growth leads to problematic lighting conditions (either very dim or extremely contrasty patchy light); and also the difficulty of getting close enough to get an unencumbered view of the animals themselves.

Orang Utans, and many of the monkeys as well, prefer to move around high-up in the densest canopy and even a 400mm lens will seldom get you close enough. I was lucky enough to have several great opportunities to take some photographs of wild primates in the forest but these ones give some idea of the conditions with which one has to contend and just how lucky I was to get clear and close-up sightings.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
Re: Borneo Adventure
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 03:59:57 »
Dear Ann

I suppose you have seen the slow loris at Singapore Night Safari, haven't you? of course it is a zoo...
The orang utan shots are amazing and demonstrate what a gifted photographer can achieve with a D5 in extremely difficult conditions.

Can you please elaborate on the geographical details of your trip?
i'll go to Borneo in October and plan to visit the Mulu and Kuching areas.

Olivier

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 04:31:48 »
Olivier:

I am so glad that you liked my Orang Utans.
[I have lots more photographs which I will be adding to this thread from time to time.]

I will be posting the details of the various places where I stayed but I was in Sabah Province (in the north of Malaysian Borneo) and you are going to Sarawak so my recommendations for places and lodgings won't be much help to you for your October trip although I am sure that you will visit Sabah eventually as well.

Yes, Ling and I did spend a day at the really splendid Singapore Zoo but somehow never got to the Night Safari area.

I did go walking in the Bornean Jungle at night several times and, although I never saw a Slow Loris, I did photograph some other night prowlers and sleeping small birds.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 04:38:57 »
I had even better success when I spent time at some of the feeding stations which have been set-up in protected areas and which attract the wild primates to descend to the forest floor from time to time. I was there while the forest trees were fruiting so there was some doubt as to whether any Orang Utans would come down to eat the proffered fruit or would prefer to remain high up in the canopy and pick their own .

The feeding stations in Malaysian Borneo (such as those in the Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre at Sepilok) are now of considerable importance because much of the island has been de-forested and replanted with Oil-Palm plantations which, although of considerable economic importance to the island’s human population, provide almost no food-supplies for anything much more than rodents and the snakes which prey on them. 

The other down-side (apart from the loss of habitat for endangered indigenous species) to the burgeoning the Oil Palm industry in Borneo is the increasing pollution of ground-water and streams from the pesticides and fertilizers which are used for this crop.

Unfortunately for photographers, the Sepilok people have cluttered their feeding stations with ugly climbing ropes and chains (which the Orang Utans definitely do not need to reach the feeding platforms.)

Another issue is the bus loads of chattering tourists who arrive for the afternoon feeding session and who take no notice of signs which beg for their silence. Orang Utans are very shy creatures and will not come to feed under such noisy conditions. It wasn’t until just before closing time in the evening (when the crowds had left) that any Orang Utans came down to eat!

The early-morning feeding session at Sepilok is much less busy — and a much better time for photography generally.

Orang Utans are such wonderful intelligent and gentle creatures: I could stand and watch them for days and I am so glad that I was able to visit them in their own homeland. 

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 08:12:18 »
I like the natural color palette of them pictures.

Is this a Jackfruit in his hand? I share with him a similar taste  ;D

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 09:15:25 »
Dear Ann, I love monkeys. We've got plenty of them here in Holland, there is no need to travel all the way to Borneo.
Am I noticing some noise in the images, Ann? Was it due to high ISO values, or to pulling up the shadows, or to sharpening, or to resizing for the web? perhaps just my eyes and/or monitor :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 09:42:34 »
Yes, plenty of noise but I no longer care a hoot about noise if I can get the shot!

I don't use any Luminance Noise reduction at all either (until I am above 25,000 ISO) because it just turns images to mush and I would rather have the noise.
 ;D  ;D

So I used whatever ISO I needed to be able to use fast shutter speeds (often 25,000 and 52,000 ISO!) and I am finding it so liberating to be able to shoot like that — and to shoot action absolutely anywhere both day and night.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 09:49:33 »
Ethan:

I know that fruit as a Durian (which may simply be another name for a Jack Fruit?).

They have rather a strong smell and there are printed notices on trains, buses, and in some taxis in Singapore, stating: “No Durian”!

If you buy it, you need to take it home in a properly sealed plastic box. The shop-keepers will cut it up and box it for you.

I have noticed a rather distinctive smell in markets in Asia before but didn’t know where it came from.

Actually I really don’t find it particularly objectionable and I stood very close to a stall-holder while I watched him cut up a Durian, extract the flesh and prepare it for sale.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 10:34:46 »
I may be wrong but the fruit looks like a jack fruit, not a durian. I believe durians have a harder shell and when it comes to odor, there is no competition: the durian has a strong animalic, thiol and fatty acid smell than nothing competes with...

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 10:42:06 »
Ann, I don't want to hijack your thread by any means, but since you mentioned it here is a picture of a slow loris taken three days ago at Singapore Night Safari (I actually found that place more enjoyable than the zoo). The place is really dark and challenging for photography, a D5 would be of great help of cousre.

This was taken with my Fuji X-T1 with Nikon 75-150 Series E lens. It is as close as I come to having safari equipment!

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 10:53:46 »
Thank you enormously for adding your photograph of the Slow Loris.

I understand that it has become quite rare to see them in the wild and they are listed as "endangered".

I don't know why we missed the Night House — possibly because I spent too long with those splendid Sumatran Orang Utans and the Gibbons.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 11:29:07 »
Well, next time you come to Singapore you will have a busy schedule, starting with a dinner at my place followed by a visit at Night Safari...

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 12:52:32 »
Ann, Incredible close ups, I clearly remember this from fotozones, probably my favorite series from all the ones you have shared, really glad you are sharing them now here in NG
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 13:12:46 »
Great photos! i am especially partial to the 10th (sitting on the chains) and 11th ( two together) in your series. I think they have very expressive faces and soulful eyes, which you quite skillfully captured. Beautiful images!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 16:32:12 »
Well, next time you come to Singapore you will have a busy schedule, starting with a dinner at my place followed by a visit at Night Safari...

One should never miss the opportunity to have a dinner cooked by a French friend. Looking forward to visiting Francis one day, whom I had the pleasure of cooking together in Scotland...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/