Author Topic: Mongolia...  (Read 8124 times)

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
Re: Mongolia...
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 00:34:43 »
Breathtaking images, Jacques.
I kept scrolling up and down, enjoying them all, trying to pick out my favorite, but there are so many good ones!
My bucket list of countries/cities to visit is growing more and more thanks to the images that are shared on NikonGear Revival :)
Utah, Cape town, Japan, Mongolia... who knows what will add up in the future...

Gee... Thanks a lot :-) Mongolia is really a country to visit... In good shape as there is no medical assistance ! While this is a bit of the Northern part, the classical sceneries are more onto the West part of the country (horses, flocks of sheep, etc.). My great regret is not having being able to visit the Taklamakan desert (Gobi), half Chinese, half Mongolian, the stuff of legends and lost civilizations !
I'm getting a bit old now, but my daughter managed to go there via the Chinese route... (Sigh)!
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 00:37:42 »
I continue to enjoy the pastel like colors!

Thanks a lot... :-) I'm not sure the "pastel" part is voluntary, I was juggling between Aperture and Lightroom at the time and must try a new development of those NEF files !
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 01:12:23 »
This village has simple wooden houses, more of the Russian "Datcha" style then the US frame house. These are nearer of the log cabin, joints being filled with wool. Then a wooden lattice and earth, and great colors as paint .

Couleurs... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 50mm f/1.8D and D700.

Log house... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 50mm f/1.8D and D700.

No real security rules or construction codes...

House building... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 85mm f/1.8D and D700.

But who cares when you have a red bicycle (and yes, it's a pool table, out in the open, national sport in Mongolia, beats wrestling !)...

The red bicycle... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 85mm f/1.8D and D700.

Or when you need to go to the toilets... As those are out of the house, at the other end of the courtyard, some planks around a big hole (1meter x 0,6 meter). No electricity at night ! So the game is to try to keep your passport, wallet, money in your pants while holding a torch and a roll of paper in a minus 15° Celsius temperature.

Vent... Home made! by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 85mm f/1.8D and D700.

This old veteran was almost crying as we visited him on "veteran's day" (we didn't know about it) and took a bowl of sweets to celebrate our visit...

Visiting... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 85mm f/1.8D and D700.

Kids rushes out of school with cleans uniforms !

Late for school... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 85mm f/1.8D and D700.

And through small hills of saw-dust, being blown in the wind and not recycled (a project we suggested).

Hurrying back home... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 85mm f/1.8D and D700.

While some parents were speeding home too...

Cavalier... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 85mm f/1.8D and D700.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 06:11:19 »
Jacques, I am really enjoying this series.  A great depiction of the life and people.  Must have been some trip.  I also really appreciate your showing the lenses used.

When I was a Kid, I made a list of the 100 places I wanted to go and Mongolia was high on the list.  I read a book, The Long Walk , which really made an impact on me.  Really wanted to go to the Gobi :) .    Unfortunately, it is probably one of the 20 or so places on my list that I will not make it to  :(.  Funny, Havana is on that list and I lived in Guantanamo for 18 months and could almost smell Havana. Chances are good that I'll cross that one off next year :) .
Cheers,
Tom
Edit: I just found the book on Amazon Uk so just ordered it for my son.... I'll be interested to see what a Smartphone generation 14 year old makes of it (and I'll read it 60 years on  ;)
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 13:46:57 »
Jacques, I am really enjoying this series.  A great depiction of the life and people.  Must have been some trip.  I also really appreciate your showing the lenses used.

When I was a Kid, I made a list of the 100 places I wanted to go and Mongolia was high on the list.  I read a book, The Long Walk , which really made an impact on me.  Really wanted to go to the Gobi :) .    Unfortunately, it is probably one of the 20 or so places on my list that I will not make it to  :(.  Funny, Havana is on that list and I lived in Guantanamo for 18 months and could almost smell Havana. Chances are good that I'll cross that one off next year :) .
Cheers,
Tom
Edit: I just found the book on Amazon Uk so just ordered it for my son.... I'll be interested to see what a Smartphone generation 14 year old makes of it (and I'll read it 60 years on  ;) )

I read it too (in French) when I was at one end of that trek (Darjeeling), but also older stories from Italian archeologists or again the true character of Dr Jones (Indiana :-) ) searching for the giant electrical worm... :-)

The sad truth is that most parts are covered by new cities with Chinese as Mongolians in search of the petrol fields...

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 14:03:59 »
The outdoor pool table is often used as a show room for selling clothes or boots some brought from the capital !

The Fashion corner... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 85mm f/1.8D and D700.

While others leave to the kids the grocery shop ordeal...

The cart... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 85mm f/1.8D and D700.

While some Kazakhs repairs the old military truck...

Repairing the old truck... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 85mm f/1.8D and D700.

As others start building up the winter room, a family heirloom...

Building the Ger... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 35mm f/2D and D700.

Of with they all learned the ecological advantages...

City vs Countryside... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 35mm f/2D and D700.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 14:12:45 »
This is the drinking water source, the river...

Riverside... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 50mm f/1.8D and D700.

Some last views before getting back to U.B...

Village's trees... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 85mm f/1.8D and D700.

The three components... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 85mm f/1.8D and D700.

Little door... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 85mm f/1.8D and D700.

Dinner time... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 35mm f/2D and D700.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 17:03:23 »
Encore, Jacques Pochoy, une fois, merci pour le partage. Dans l'Ouest nous dependons tellement tous nos gadgets, nos telephones intelligents, nos ordinateurs, nos televiseurs ... l'enfer, sources de pouvoir et de l'eau partout. Pensez-vous que vous pourriez facilement et heureusement s'adapter a un style de vie mongole rural?
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 17:55:23 »
Encore, Jacques Pochoy, une fois, merci pour le partage. Dans l'Ouest nous dependons tellement tous nos gadgets, nos telephones intelligents, nos ordinateurs, nos televiseurs ... l'enfer, sources de pouvoir et de l'eau partout. Pensez-vous que vous pourriez facilement et heureusement s'adapter a un style de vie mongole rural?

Wow ! Gary, you are really multi-tasked... :-) The great bear from the North stated that English should be the "Lingua Franca", so I'll stick with it, but your french is excellent (the "Patrice" part I guess :-), or through your year in Indochina ? ).

Could we live as those Mongols in the village ? Well, for one they are just as "hooked" as we are on technology ! They have computers and cell phones even in the Gers in the middle of nowhere ! Satellite access I believe, with solar cells or windmills for electricity !
What was striking in a west viewpoint was all those people with broken limbs, not properly tended that goes around with crooked legs or arms and old style crutches (wooden). Life is dangerous, we were warned not to walk alone to the end of the valley as they were bears (they kill two or three bears a year).
With the usual western students not really paying attention, we were in the anguish of an accident, the nearest doctor was in U.B. and there was at least two days to wait for a train ! So it's the land of the fittest. We could see young men playing pool, outside with just a T-shirt by minus 10° C...
Even there, it's still the old story of humanity, as the students from U.B., Mongols, often having grandparents in such villages, were the ones who didn't want to mix with those "rurals" who smelled of cow ! The hard work those villagers had, was too much for the urban generation who dream of buying Hummers (the top fashionable car in U.B.).

Apart from the medical facilities ( there might have been a shaman somewhere, but he was well hidden) the "simple" way of life, only works if you like mutton (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and Chinese fried chips as they don't have vegetables (it starts in some patches U.B.). We were in a Northern part with rivers that flows all year, but there are terrible droughts that kills most of the flocks in the main part of Mongolia who sees global warming much quicker and harsher then we do !
The old way of living as nomads is giving way to gigantic mines for rare earth that our technology needs. It's Zola revisited, as each family is allowed (free) 5 liters of Vodka per week and the "in between" generation is lost between rurality and urban dwellings.

It's quite sad, as their Buddhist roots and social practice from Russian communism creates an ideal environment for being helpful to each other, but with sheep dying in droughts, the discovery of South Korean and Japanese culture (and financial investments of the latters),  the big neighbors searching for cheap mining rights, this young and independent country has a struggle for life to win...

How can we help them when we don't even know how to help ourselves ?

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 18:15:47 »
Back to the train with those immensity views (for an European)...

Neighbors are at a distance... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 85mm f/1.8D and D700.

Water... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 85mm f/1.8D and D700.

Steppe... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 85mm f/1.8D and D700.

Finally back to U.B. at dusk...

Crows leaving at dusk... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 85mm f/1.8D and D700.

U.B. under the moon... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 85mm f/1.8D and D700.

Duh... No street lights! by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 50mm f/1.8D and D700.

And the last images, as a token of hope, the old stoves with the new solar heated water system...

Two heating systems... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 50mm f/1.8D and D700.

And the Ger on the roof, mixing old and new traditions... (it's the school of architecture of U.B.)

The Ger on the roof... by ArchiVue, sur Flickr - 50mm f/1.8D and D700.

That's all folks... :-)