Author Topic: And now this... a new camera  (Read 2201 times)

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
And now this... a new camera
« on: August 29, 2017, 12:43:03 »

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: And now this... a new camera
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 12:53:20 »
My member is to small, I need a bigger camera *ROTFL*
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 16:11:48 »
He has a point. A strong one indeed.

"Are these things really better than the things I already have? Or am I just trained to be dissatisfied with what I have now?"
Chuck Palahniuk, Lullaby  :-\

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 18:27:58 »
Except the D5 is cheaper than the D3 and the D500 is cheaper than the D200, when you adjust for inflation.  Not to mention the D1, which cost over $8000, inflation adjusted, in 1999.  The F100 cost almost exactly the same as the D500, inflation adjusted.  So the idea that we are paying more for not much extra is wrong.

Of course nobody needs a new camera.  Nobody needs to see an 8000m peak or the temples of Angkor either.  Being a prisoner of consumerism is not the only alternative to need.  There is what gives you pleasure and helps you learn and grow.  Sure, mastering the D500 AF system is a more expensive way of staving off dementia than doing crosswords, but I don't like crosswords.   

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 20:29:36 »
Except the D5 is cheaper than the D3 and the D500 is cheaper than the D200, when you adjust for inflation.  Not to mention the D1, which cost over $8000, inflation adjusted, in 1999.  The F100 cost almost exactly the same as the D500, inflation adjusted.  So the idea that we are paying more for not much extra is wrong.

Of course nobody needs a new camera.  Nobody needs to see an 8000m peak or the temples of Angkor either.  Being a prisoner of consumerism is not the only alternative to need.  There is what gives you pleasure and helps you learn and grow.  Sure, mastering the D500 AF system is a more expensive way of staving off dementia than doing crosswords, but I don't like crosswords.   

+1 Love your funny remark
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 20:53:57 »
It's a good article. 

My latest camera is the Fuji S5 Pro. DX format. Great dynamic range, especially on the white tones, and very good in colours. The cost of the camera is around zero. If you can have a good bargain and are able to sell the  kit lens. 

Handling throws you back to the early digital age of the Nikon D200, as it is built in a Nikon D200 frame. Post production is a kind of archive research, with lots of trial and error. Once you found the desired software it's time to enjoy the results with this exceptional camera, that 'nearly' everyone forgot in the rat race for faster and larger...

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 21:40:58 »
Sure, mastering the D500 AF system is a more expensive way of staving off dementia than doing crosswords, but I don't like crosswords.

Are you knocking doing crossword puzzles to stave off dementia? That's what my mother did. It's true! I write answers to form questions to stave off dementia. I write answers to form question and they prove dementia is advancing.

Dave who was promised the brain of Hans Delbruck but given Abby Normal's instead.

That brain that you gave me...

---

I read the article and I want my time back: following the logic of this article I should still be using a Kodak Baby Brownie and 127 Panatomic-X. I traded in the Baby Brownie on a Nikon F2As (really!), was that a mistake? Nikon was offering $XX.xx off the price of the F2As for any trade in. :)
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 22:13:59 »
"Are these things really better than the things I already have? Or am I just trained to be dissatisfied with what I have now?"
Chuck Palahniuk, Lullaby

I'm not entirely convinced that there is a point in this quote whether it's specifically stated or implied!

if an individual doesn't understand the difference between 'gear that is better', or if they have 'trained themselves to be dissatisfied' with their current gear, then it's time for them to take up yoga and leave everything else behind!

How does one decide it's time to 'upgrade' their vehicle?
Or furniture, or house, or lifestyle .. job .. etc?
Do these choices need to be analysed to the nth degree now?

The point(my point) is: does it really matter if the upgrade is effected by the individual for the purpose of seeking any improvements in the item sought, or if it's made on the basis of dissatisfaction in the current item being used?
It makes no difference if the gear is incapable, or that you're unhappy with item X .. it means the same thing. Item X isn't satisfying a need, it's time to update to Item Y.

I've been reading a lot of this type of stuff lately, basically relating back to a level of psychology that was never taught or learned by the author of that type of article.
They were never taught (or learned) why they want or need something, only that having something is what they simply did.
I think it may stem back to an early childhood where they were generously bestowed upon.
Either that, or a history of impulse buying, that has only just hit home to them.
Arthur

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 23:08:54 »
Except the D5 is cheaper than the D3 and the D500 is cheaper than the D200, when you adjust for inflation. 
Different in the USA, according to three online inflation calculators I just checked:  D3, April 2008...I paid $5000.  All the inflation calculators give $5700 as the 2017 equivalent. The D5 sells here(USA) for $6500....$500 less than the grotesquely overpriced D3x was in it's heyday. 
The D500 is slightly cheaper than the D200 in the same USA calculators.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 23:46:06 »
It seems that Mr. Swan is tired of consumerism, specifically of the stills camera-related variety .  I am also.  Welcome to the club. He stated that he "didn't really need his last camera upgrade".  I can gloat that I have not yet made that mistake.  D200>D3>D800--- each represented a major jump in picture quality for my purposes.  I have since determined, with the help of the $700 Fuji XE-1 body, that 16 megapixels is good for 80-90% of photography that I do.  I'll be keeping that in mind next time I look for replacement cameras.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 02:07:18 »
I seriously found the blog article a waste of time. The viewfinders of the D300s and D800 both disappointed me. The viewfinder of the F100 disappointed me. I made do with the D300s and D800 viewfinders. The F100 was a waste of $1229.00 as I recall. I doubt that the F100 has more than 6 rolls through it. I ignored it and used my F5 or FE2(s).

"Life is hard, then you die."

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 19:58:26 »
I think there may be a couple of factors the author did not consider.
1) The more people buy cameras, the more money the manufacturer will spend on developing the next model.
2) Currently, manufacturers support their products for about 10 years after their replacements are introduced. If something goes wrong after that, it may not be possible to repair. And you will get more money for a working old camera than for a broken old camera.

This leaves me with a problem, as I doubt I will be able to replace my 500f4...