Author Topic: Whitetail Doe and Two Fawns  (Read 795 times)

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Whitetail Doe and Two Fawns
« on: August 28, 2017, 14:31:02 »
Comments and criticism appreciated.
D7000 70-200mm f/2.8 with 1.7 teleconverter. 340mm, 1/800 sec. at f/7.1, ISO 1600.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Whitetail Doe and Two Fawns
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 14:45:45 »
Interesting capture and nice composition with all three heads lining up along the diagonal line of the frame.

The lighting makes the picture strange in the positive way.  What is the light source?  Head lights of a car?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 14:50:33 »
Interesting capture and nice composition with all three heads lining up along the diagonal line of the frame.

The lighting makes the picture strange in the positive way.  What is the light source?  Head lights of a car?

Akira, thank you for your comment. The light source was late afternoon sun filtered through the tree canopy. It does look like headlights, strong shadows especially across the doe's back.

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 17:54:32 »
Beautiful composition and lightning.
I would like some less aggressive noise reduction and or sharpening. No problem if there's some grain.
Chris Dees

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 23:26:03 »
I like this very much, but I sort of agree with Chris - the image looks like it had quite some PP. Maybe it didn't, and what we are seeing is just the result of  very directional lighting but once the eye thinks it can see PP, that's all it can see.

If it were mine (I wish), I'd soften it a little.

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 02:42:54 »
Chris and David- Thank you very much for your comments. The image did have quite a bit of PP, which I have dialed way back in this rendition (applied sharpness now 1/7 of the original and applied clarity reduced to 0). Please let me know if you like this better. I just recently acquired Lightroom 6 and after that the Nik suite and am still learning how to use them. Thanks again for your comments, I find them very instructive.