Author Topic: A few suggestions...  (Read 2886 times)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
A few suggestions...
« on: July 04, 2015, 09:09:04 »
Just a few things, not sure if they are possible with this forum engine or not:

* Can PMs be stored or displayed in conversation threads -  same was as FZ? I found that format very useful when communicating with other members. The current format simply lists all incoming messages in date order, regardless of who it was from. Sent messages are not saved be default so you can end up not remembering what was said to who, so overall messaging can be a bit disjointed and confusing.

* Is there any way to "like" posts? I found it a good way to acknowledge good contributions without adding a new post like "Well said" or "+1" which doesn't add anything useful to the thread.

* Is there any expiry for old posts or threads? Otherwise the history keeps growing and growing... This can strain resources and make it harder to search for relevant information. I think some threads would have limited relevance after a while, so no need to keep forever (I work with databases so like to consider the full data life cycle). Maybe threads in certain areas can expire after a year or two, such "Ask a question" or "Introduce Yourself"? Useful threads or posts could be flagged for keeping - I know that requires more work for someone...

Forgive me if these points have been covered elsewhere.

The_Traveler

• NG Member
  • Good to be here at the NikonGear
    • lewlortonphoto.com
Re: A few suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 15:16:03 »
It would also be nice to be able to be able to subscribe to a thread without making an empty comment.
Lew Lorton
The_Traveler
a non-technical shooter

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 15:39:12 »
Roland: over the summer we'll look into such issues. I understand your point about overly long history but not set for deleting content because of their age, thus that is unlikely to be implemented as such. However,  we already are considering a kind of 'archiving' posts so they are removed from the overviews, but still are searchable.

(on a tangential note, slightly funny to discuss the above for a site less than 1 month old :D glad you have high hopes for the future ...)

As to *PM* the system is pretty basic at present and clearly should be improved. Again, this will happen when we manage to do so. It's already on the TODO list.

*Like* buttons are not on the TODO list and with the current NG Team, never will.

Lew: the subscription will be looked into.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 00:46:41 »
Thanks, it's good to consider the the life time of posts early on, it can save a lot of work later on.

Not sure why you are against "like" buttons, but it's not a big deal.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 00:52:14 »
Thanks for the input!

Like buttons are a quick way of making a heads up, we are looking for more, take your time to make a reply and state what you think about an image/post - whats on your mind :)
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 00:53:01 »
It's not just me, the NG Team are collectively opposed to the 'like' buttons. So they will not appear. Indulge our whims.

(as Erik managed to post a few seconds before me ...)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 06:28:00 »
It is more work to formulate a proper comment but it is also the better and more personal kind of praise
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 08:21:43 »
I also do not like "Like" buttons. It is easy to comment "I like it" or "Nice!," and it communicates (IMO) more.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 09:57:24 »
What if you want to acknowledge a good post but feel you have nothing more to say, isn't that enough?

Do you want a lot of posts such as "I Like" or "+1" or "I agree", which don't add much useful to the thread ?? (IMO)

Of course I fully support those who have something more to contribute to a thread, some useful feedback, or want to acknowledge a particularly good post or picture - but I'd prefer a well considered comment, not a few easy words.

I feel I'm losing this battle, so I won't continue...  :)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 10:03:22 »
There is no battle to lose, Roland.

By definition, '1' and '+1' are the same. So if you really long for a 'Like', hit '1' on keyboard then 'enter'. Faster and more ergonomically than locating the 'Like' button by the mouse then click the mouse. Of course, if you dislike, adding the leading '-' only takes one additional tap on the keyboard :D