Author Topic: Advise needed, ir-uv conversion  (Read 7788 times)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Advise needed, ir-uv conversion
« on: August 10, 2017, 19:25:00 »
I'm leaving for NY in 4 days and I'm planning on getting a new dedicated IR only body and /or a UV dedicated body also. I've been going through some post in the ultravioletphography site and searching the web but will like the input of what are you using now. Liveview a must...
   I have to make up my mind. So far, it may go for the d5300 for IR Bjørn and Fons are using. It looks like a food balance cost/quality. Open to suggestions. I'm using a D80 as of today -scratched filter, no liveview, prints ok but not crazy about it.
   UV is another story...been looking for one to play with for so long. I think the time has come. Any pointer is welcome. Seriously
    I have an used d300 and a d700 that I still use and will not be converted. It seams they are not that good for this purpose anyway.
    Thanks a lot in advance.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Advise needed, ir-uv conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 11:04:15 »
3 days to go.
IR: D5300 has no screwdriver type motor. Not big deal but to consider. No AA filter and flip screen.
UV:A secondhand d610 goes for 750€

Every list of converted cameras i find stop updating a couple generations ago

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 11:10:51 »
http://www.teleskopen.nl

Paco, may be of any help?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 11:15:05 »
Always beneficial to deal with a company on one's own continent :D

D5300 is pretty good for IR and has established itself as my main IR camera. The CCD generation preceding it might have better IR response, but lacks resolution and often there is no LiveView.

D610 should be excellent for UV. I use the predecessor D600 and have no complaints ... I believe Andrea either use the same or the D610 for her UV work.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 11:51:41 »
Thank you for the information. Getting here needs a chunk of money and I have no experience other than my late play with the d80.
  It looks like I will the route of d5300 converted by lifepixel while in NY. D610 is very tempting too, will see.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 11:57:04 »
I can hardly wait for the results, regardless of body used :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 12:21:59 »
i would recommend D800's they are quite affordable used and make an excellent 36mpx conversion.. i have two converted.. and i used MAXMAX in new jersey.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 13:46:41 »
I would recommend a mirrorless body (Sony or m4/3) for the body for UV.

Unlike IR shooting, there are far less chances to find the UV-capable lenses in Nikon F mount or the ones that can be mounted on a F-mount bodies, unless you mostly do the closeups of the flowers for the bull's eye patterns or you can afford expensive UV Nikkor or Coastal ones.

If your main purpose for UV capture is the UV versions of your typical image making, you should have much more chances to find capable lenses in the older, single- or even non-coated L39 mount lenses which can only be mounted on the mirrorless bodies for normal shooting distances.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira