Author Topic: Feeling a Little Horny  (Read 1439 times)

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Feeling a Little Horny
« on: August 05, 2017, 13:38:10 »
I edited this image as my initial foray into Lightroom 6. Any comments or criticisms would be greatly appreciated.

Nikon D7000, 35mm f/1.8, 1/60 sec. at f/10, ISO 125.

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Feeling a Little Horny
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 14:16:05 »
Same image as a B&W.

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 15:17:47 »
Arthur:

Lots of repeating lines, details, patterns.  Keeps the eye interested.

This is a perfect type of image for B&W for me.  I would probably try various treatments within B&W, to alter contrast, structure , etc.

Lots of fun options to play with!

Well seen.

Randy

PS:  Had a very quick pass at it.  More contrast, increased exposure, added structure.  Lots of great details here to work with.

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 15:57:39 »
Thanks, Randy! Here is my second attempt at a B&W. Like you, I increased contrast (via high contrast in the tone curve panel) and reset the blacks and whites to their limits with no clipping (shift + double click on white and black in the basic panel). We get similar results, but I like yours better because there is more detail on the horns. Should I use the contrast slider to bring in that detail?

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 16:15:14 »
I agree, lots of interest for the eye.

In the colour version, the antlers look slightly green on my screen.
Anthony Macaulay

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 16:19:26 »
I agree, lots of interest for the eye.

In the colour version, the antlers look slightly green on my screen.
They were slightly green as they were on the side away from the sun and had picked up some kind of growth. The photo is a crop from a larger shot of one of the arches which frame the four entrances to the town square in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Could also be that they are picking up some green from the lawn behind me as I shot the photo.

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 16:24:10 »
Randy- Here is another attempt at replicating your edit. Exposure down about half a stop and contrast up to 55. Blacks and whites auto adjusted to avoid clipping. I think the second attempt was better.

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 17:08:25 »
What do you think about this one? It's darker, but the detail on the horns looks great to me.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 07:32:05 »
It is my observation that when the histogram and other measurements state that the brightest areas are 'under 100%', the brightest areas often possess an overexposed or 'burned out' look in the final reproduction. The first versions were dull and a touch dark.  Your #7 version seems to have found a good balance: bright, but not too bright.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 11:20:53 »
It is my observation that when the histogram and other measurements state that the brightest areas are 'under 100%', the brightest areas often possess an overexposed or 'burned out' look in the final reproduction. The first versions were dull and a touch dark.  Your #7 version seems to have found a good balance: bright, but not too bright.

Thank you for your comment. There's quite a learning curve one must go through before becoming proficient with any new and complicated software. I'm trying to get through it as quickly as possible and I appreciate your patience in looking through my various attempts and in commenting on them.

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 17:17:45 »
Two routes:

- Color, and in this case kill the green cast and emulate the antlers/bones straw/cream color.

- B/W: Perfect case for selective D&B and of course WB.

and of course, selective HP on both images.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 20:49:56 »
I like this photo.

Local texture is missing?

First attachment: In Photo Ninja I carved some local texture with the Detail slider between 15-20. (Usually 10-15 is good on the raw, but this was a Jpg.) Then 10 points on the Contrast slider and a few points points on the Illumination slider for a bit of brightening.
Second attachment: Default PN sharpening turned on. Too much on top of Detail slider??

In other apps carving some texture is made wide-radius USM settings like 5,100,0 or 10,50,0. Depends on the pixel count which wide-radius setting to use. This also improves local contrasts (no surprise there). Then a touch of curve lift on the right hand 50%. With additional minor contrast increase if needed and whatever sharpening. Anyway you probably know all that but wanted to explain my attempt.  :)

I didn't change the color not knowing what it was in 'real life'.

Are these deer or elk antlers?

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 22:28:12 »
Andrea, they are elk antlers. Thank you for your comments. Your edits look great, but I am a raw beginner when it comes to post-processing and so you must speak to me  v e r y   s l o w l y, and use short sentences with no abbreviations and simple language, because I am basically clueless. This was my first editing attempt. I now (sort of) use Lightroom 6. Would you know the corresponding Lightroom 6 adjustments to those you made in Photo Ninja? Thanks!

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 23:01:38 »
Arthur, I am sorry but I do not know the corresponding Lightroom edits. I do not currently have a Lightroom download.
I'm sure you will get the hang of it, however. Just explore each tool by playing with it and seeing what it does. And I know there are lots of guides on YouTube and in book form.