Author Topic: Best way to greater magnification for macro work  (Read 9226 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Best way to greater magnification for macro work
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2017, 12:22:55 »
Just German, but no problem (for me).

The inquiry form is at http://www.stonemaster.eu/contact/

The complete Stack device was less than I had feared, about 2.500 Euro. However, with a net weight of some 40 kg, I expect shipping cost to be formidable.

Oskar O

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2017, 13:14:53 »
I can second Bob's recommendation, I've successfully used the Mitutoyo 5x for snowflake photography, worked well and being apo was helpful for the times when there was no time to stack. I also like the Apo-Componon 45/4, though I recommended the El-Nikkor 50/2.8 since it's much more common and thus easier and cheaper to acquire and still produces good quality.

For the more budget-sensitive, there's now a new rail from China that I consider getting, http://www.wemacro.com/?product=wemacro-rail
It did get some favorable reviews, though had still things to improve in user friendliness.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2017, 13:26:55 »
Just completed a 10X sequence of Ruppia maritima leaves apices using the Macro-Nikkor 19 mm f/2.8 and the first of the 200 mm class lenses I found rummaging around which happened to  be the AIS 200/4 Micro. Results were in fact very good, and probably in the end limited by the 200 lens. Have to search for the AFD ED Micro next time with such a setup.

I have ordered the Mitutoyo 10X M Plan APO before and am awaiting its arrival.

Oskar O

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2017, 20:30:26 »
I have ordered the Mitutoyo 10X M Plan APO before and am awaiting its arrival.

Congrats! With the 10x M Plan APO it should be possible to cover the sensor while lowering the magnification either by a shorter FL tube lens or shortening the extension. Depending on your applications it can be worth experimenting with that.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2017, 21:08:32 »
I need 10X with good quality and that is the purpose of getting this specific model. The Macro-Nikkor 19/2.8 is excellent and I'll stick to that alternative for now, until the new lens arrives.

Have to experiment with the 'tube' lens later on.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2017, 13:24:03 »
I need 10X with good quality and that is the purpose of getting this specific model. The Macro-Nikkor 19/2.8 is excellent and I'll stick to that alternative for now, until the new lens arrives.

Have to experiment with the 'tube' lens later on.

Certainly a very good choice for the time being! Consider using the RAYNOX 250 achromat as a tube lens, a lot of people have ecellent results using that. Bit tricky to mount, but my mechanic (the guy making the StackShot) has special adapters for it on stock, so that is solved already. He doesn't really speak English that well, so I can relay if so needed...

Your ordered 10X Mitutoyo Plan Apo has not RMS but M26 x 36 TPI mount thread, he also has adapter rings for that.
formerly known as kds315

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2017, 15:54:27 »
Consider using the RAYNOX 250 achromat as a tube lens, a lot of people have ecellent results using that.

my setup using a Raynox 150 for tube/relay lens.. reverse mounted of course.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143195#143195

Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2017, 10:46:37 »
my setup using a Raynox 150 for tube/relay lens.. reverse mounted of course.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143195#143195

Now this is quite some "macro cannon" Bob!! ;-)
formerly known as kds315

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2017, 11:34:12 »
Now this is quite some "macro cannon" Bob!! ;-)

but as you see.. the Raynox 150 is more manageable.. which is the path i took.  my ideas came from this page by Rik.

you just added tubes until i could get infinity focus really.. also looked at the Mitutoyo microscope specs from the web page.

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2017, 12:38:34 »
Sorry for the newbie question: are there any advantages in using the Raynox instead of the Nikon 3T or 4T? 
Bruno Schröder

Oskar O

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2017, 20:46:27 »
Sorry for the newbie question: are there any advantages in using the Raynox instead of the Nikon 3T or 4T?

The specified tube lens focal length for the Mitutoyos is 200 mm, which is pretty close to that of the Raynox DCR-150 (4.8 diopters or about 208 mm), whereas the 3T and 4T are not powerful enough, the more powerful 4T having a focal length of about 345mm.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2017, 23:12:18 »
If 200mm is the one to use with the Mitsutoyo, Kenko (should be branded Hoya outside Japan) AC closeup lens No.5 is the one.  Its focal length is exactly 200mm.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2017, 23:58:24 »
The specified tube lens focal length for the Mitutoyos is 200 mm, which is pretty close to that of the Raynox DCR-150 (4.8 diopters or about 208 mm)

this is the other reason..

Oskar O

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2017, 12:48:36 »
If 200mm is the one to use with the Mitsutoyo, Kenko (should be branded Hoya outside Japan) AC closeup lens No.5 is the one.  Its focal length is exactly 200mm.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that product. I assume it's this one: https://www.amazon.com/Kenko-Close-Up-Lens-52mm-Achromatic-Lens/dp/B001CN3GVE
As a side note, I've noticed that locally there are both Kenko and Hoya branded products, with the premium filters all being Hoya.

I also discovered that Marumi offers a similar product: https://www.amazon.com/Marumi-Macro-Achromat-Achromatic-Filter/dp/B003DIR5DQ/

I have no idea how these compare to the Raynox. The Raynox has a very good reputation and they boast a 3-element design. I'm under the impression that most competitors have 2-element designs, but naturally only real world results determine which is the best alternative. It would be interesting to see how these compare.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2017, 13:36:30 »
The Kenko one you linked is the same one as mine.  Marumi is another famous brand for the filter but I don't think they grind the lenses themselves.  Apparently it is the OEM by Kenko.

Good thing about these AC closeup lenses is that the optical elements are held by the threaded retaining rings instead of the springy rings.  You can reverse-mount the lens more easily with much less danger of scratching the element during the job.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira