Author Topic: nikon 105mm f2.5 ais  (Read 12771 times)

bendle

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
nikon 105mm f2.5 ais
« on: July 03, 2015, 06:47:47 »
Can some tell me how this lens compares with some of the modern day equivalent, not necessarily same aperture.
L. S. Bendle

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: nikon 105mm f2.5 ais
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 07:17:04 »
It is smaller and lighter.

Its sharpness leaves nothing to be desired, even on the D800, although I prefer to use it on the Df, to which it fits very well.
At f/2.5-f/2.8, sharpness and above all contrast is a bit less than above, as with most "old" lenses. But you get wonderful bokeh in compensation. I use that aperture for portraits.

Otherwise, its optical qualities are such that you will not notice its age. Compared with the Zeiss 135/2 which I bought the very same day, you would not notice the 1:8 ratio in price. The Nikkor is slightly less contrasty, esp. wide open, and I would expect a lesser resistance to flare. I have not tested this particular aspect, but I do not care: in practical use, the lens never misbehaved.
Airy Magnien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 08:26:04 »
The 105 mm f/2.5 Nikkor is a true classic in the sense it was produced over a long period and lots of variations exist. Some cosmetic, some due to differences in lens design, and some due to different coating being applied. For the "F" mount the production run (all models) extended from 1959 to 2005.

Consult Roland Vink's site at http://photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon to learn about all these variations.

Although the AIS is the newest version, it is not my favourite due to two aspect (1) the flimsy slide-out hood that never stays put and (2) aperture blades are straight-edged thus bokeh might be a little rougher. My choice is the early AI with slightly curved blades, and no built-in hood (use HN-8, HS-4, or HS-14). Optically the AI and AIS are pretty much similar except for the bokeh of the AI which is softer. Due to less sophisticated coatings of the AI, it might be slightly more prone to flare. The AIS is easier to operate with setting aperture on the camera if the lens is later 'chipped' (upgraded with a CPU), but as one really should use the aperture ring, even the CPU-modified lenses AI or AIS are equivalents in practice handled that may.

Either lens will produce great quality. Any 105/2.5 seems to be made to be used with a Df. They are synergistic.

bendle

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 09:32:43 »
A friend of mine has been given a Nikon 105mm f2.5 ais, he is a Canon user and would like to sell the lens.
The lens is in excellent condition however it has a wobbly lens hood like you said. My question is can new felt
be fitted to the hood by pulling the lens apart. 
L. S. Bendle

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 09:38:55 »
Just fasten the hood with a drop of epoxy glue, or if you aren't into such hard-core modification, use some black tape on the outside to lock the hood into position. Store the lens front down into a lens pouch when not in use if you are worried about dirt ingress to the front element.

New felt material on the inside of the hood won't prevent the wobbling. It's "by design".

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 10:49:09 »
My own copy of the 105mm f/2.5 AIS has a pretty tight hood, the same with the 135mm f/2.8 AIS (and 200mm f/4 AIS). I have seen a copy of the former that was a lot worse with respect to wobble (wear from a lot of good journalist work).  I like the way these lenses takes up so little space, and still offer a hood that can be brought into position in a blink. But then I am also partial to the AIS versions as I use them chipped on my D5100, so aperture has to be controlled from the body. And as Bjørn noted, nothing prevents one from attaching a regular hood to these lenses for better protection.
Øivind Tøien

bendle

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 11:02:41 »
Thank you for your reply. I have a 200mm, 100mm and a 135mm, all lens hoods are good must have been
nurtured by the owners before me. I think i will attach a regular hood. 
L. S. Bendle

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 11:39:39 »
Interesting, my 105 2.5 Ais and 135 2.8 Ais both have wobbly(loose) hoods but the 135 2.8 Q hood pulls out and with a quarter turn, locks into place.  Are the 2 Ais hoods supposed to lock into extended position?   I actually prefer the 105 2.5 Ai and 135 Q to the images from the two Ais lenses.
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

bendle

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 11:44:12 »
They do not lock in,  they are just a firm fit.
L. S. Bendle

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 11:46:14 »
The wobbly sliding hoods are a Nikon design problem, and there is sample variation just because of this.

The sliding hood of the Canon FD 135/2 does not wobble at all : the metal is thicker and adjustment is tighter. After thirty years, my copy is as good as new.
Airy Magnien

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 11:53:32 »
Thanks Guys, The HS-8 on the Ai 105 doesn't wobble at all  ;D
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 14:40:27 »
The slide out wobbly lens hood is a Nikkor feature!

The Nikkor lenses are very differently designed inside, regarding the slide out lens hood design also varies a lot.

New felt is available for some popular Nikkor's, I recall changing it on loose push pull zooms, 75-150...

The 105 Ais is as stated above by design wobbly and can't be cured by new felt. Just use a screw in lens hood. the HN screws in the HS is a snap on off design not as sturdy...

The 105mm 2.5 is a very heavy lens, a lot of metal and glass...
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 14:43:03 »
As to what hood fits Roland comes to the rescue:

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/accessory.html#105

Note alternative hoods are listed as well, very nice service!
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 14:46:57 »
Both DC lenses 105mm and 135 mm f/2 has very nice slide out lens hoods IMHO they are super nice, they have very fine threads so be careful when you twist them into lock position!
Failing to do so fuses the threads together and ends in a mess...
Yes you can glue it in place or inset a set screw or what ever works for you :)
Erik Lund

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 23:02:07 »
Can some tell me how this lens compares with some of the modern day equivalent, not necessarily same aperture.
It does pretty well as others have said.  I have the AIS version (my hood is just fine) and it does well on 36MP, though for my copy the sharpness & contrast suffers as you get close to MFD.  At infinity it's very very good and at f/5.6 it's 36MP-sharp almost across the entire frame.  Wide open it suffers as most faster Nikkors of that era, but it's still very good.  Does not do well with strong back-light or the sun in the frame.

I cannot sell mine even though I have other lenses near this focal length that are technically better . . .
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing