Author Topic: Nikon D850 Announcement of an Announcement of Development  (Read 42402 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Nikon D850 Announcement of an Announcement of Development
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 15:23:47 »
Remember that video has an aspect ratio closer to 2:1 than 3:2. Thus 8K time lapse would require somewhat higher resolution sensor, 40MP or 45MP depending on which 8K standard it follows.

Okay, if the 9:16 8k video (7680x4320=33177600) frame uses the full width of the sensor, the full pixel count should be roughly 40MP.

(16/3*2=10.6666...  10.6666.../9*33177600=39321599.999...)

So, the sensor of D850 is not the same one as used in Sony A7RII?  Or is the sensor cropped also horizontally for the 8k time lapse video?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 16:37:43 »
Okay, if the 9:16 8k video (7680x4320=33177600) frame uses the full width of the sensor, the full pixel count should be roughly 40MP.

(16/3*2=10.6666...  10.6666.../9*33177600=39321599.999...)

So, the sensor of D850 is not the same one as used in Sony A7RII?  Or is the sensor cropped also horizontally for the 8k time lapse video?

I'd assume that sensor is a minimum of 7680 wide. Which would make height 5120. 39.3 megapixels. But I think you are correct that there is a possibility that it could be wider and cropped for 8k format. At least we know it will be >39Mpx.

benveniste

• NG Member
  • I think, therefore I am. I think.
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 16:54:10 »
I am disappointed in that I was hoping for a product announcement with deliveries beginning in September.  Nikon really hasn't told us anything.

On the contrary.  It tells us that they didn't have their act together enough have anything ready to go for their 100th anniversary.

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 17:20:45 »
Well, they did say it is a successor to the D810.  It's high resolution, that's a given.  It would have been nice if they told us how many MP.  I wonder what they mean by high speed.  Of course one would expect the frame rate to increase, but how fast is high speed.  A likely release date would have been nice, but I suppose they have a lot of D810's in inventory which need to be cleared out.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 17:39:28 »
On the contrary.  It tells us that they didn't have their act together enough have anything ready to go for their 100th anniversary.

These type of statements are just no more than left guessing. Look at the previous main announcements (e.g. D5): not different.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

chambeshi

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 17:53:36 »
Agreed  :)  WRT to the rumours before official announcement and then release of the D5.... One can only wait. And the D810 inventory will probably take months to clear - like the D4s

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,367.msg2670.html#msg2670

These type of statements are just no more than left guessing. Look at the previous main announcements (e.g. D5): not different.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 18:09:28 »
Product development takes its own time and the launch is when everything is ready, not before or after. I don't see any reason to delay or hurry a launch of a major product to coincide with company 100 yr celebration.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 18:34:31 »
Neither do I - much better to get the product fully ready for when it goes to market than to have subsequent recalls and the associated reputational damage and negative reactions from the customer base.  Especially on what is to be a premium grade camera body.

Product development takes its own time and the launch is when everything is ready, not before or after. I don't see any reason to delay or hurry a launch of a major product to coincide with company 100 yr celebration.
Hugh Gunn

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 19:05:37 »
Neither do I - much better to get the product fully ready for when it goes to market than to have subsequent recalls and the associated reputational damage and negative reactions from the customer base.  Especially on what is to be a premium grade camera body.

Well, they have had 100 years to get it ready.  ;)
Carl

benveniste

• NG Member
  • I think, therefore I am. I think.
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 20:36:08 »

Those previous "non-annoucements" weren't connected with a major anniversary date.  Nor, if I remember correctly, did they come with a splashy "Coming Soon" web page with zero details.  Nor is it true that Nikon launches "when everything is ready," unless you think it's coincidence that so many Nikon announcements take place at major trade shows. 

Yes, product development takes time.  But marketing opportunities like a 100th anniversary don't come around very often.  Nor do they exactly come as a surprise.  Especially after the DL debacle, Nikon needs all the good press and it can get.  Not having a major product release is one thing.  Not having anything but a non-story is a management failure.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 21:04:44 »
Those previous "non-annoucements" weren't connected with a major anniversary date.  Nor, if I remember correctly, did they come with a splashy "Coming Soon" web page with zero details. 

The D5 pre-announcement was very much alike, with very little detail, only that they're working on it, and it supports a new type of wireless flash. The D5 was announced at a trade show but more importantly the real deadline was the Rio Olympics.

Nor is it true that Nikon launches "when everything is ready," unless you think it's coincidence that so many Nikon announcements take place at major trade shows. 

Actually Nikon seems to launch stuff pretty randomly through the year and the announcements usually do not coincide with trade shows. Nikon announced 105/1.4 some time before Photokina and 70-200/2.8 and 19mm PC just after it. Customers get their information from the internet these days, not at trade shows. The 8-15mm, 28/1.4, 10-24, 70-300 AF-P, D7500, also announced not at any trade show I'm aware of. Of course it's possible that there was some trade show in some country I never heard about but the thing is that trade shows no longer have much impact on annoucement of products for Nikon. Or Canon for that matter.

But marketing opportunities like a 100th anniversary don't come around very often.  Nor do they exactly come as a surprise.  Especially after the DL debacle, Nikon needs all the good press and it can get.

I would be suspicious if a major product was launched at a 100yr birthday. It would indicate that either a) Nikon may be rushing things to meet a calendar deadline, which is never a good thing, or b) they've been holding up a product that has been ready for a while just to announce it at a birthday that occurs every 100 years (losing money not selling it while the product is at its most relevant). I think random announcements throughout the year is the healthiest sign because it shows that they are launching products on their own terms and do not let external pressure influence the launch.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 21:15:25 »

I would be suspicious if a major product was launched at a 100yr birthday. It would indicate that either a) Nikon may be rushing things to meet a calendar deadline, which is never a good thing, or b) they've been holding up a product that has been ready for a while just to announce it at a birthday that occurs every 100 years (losing money not selling it while the product is at its most relevant). I think random announcements throughout the year is the healthiest sign because it shows that they are launching products on their own terms and do not let external pressure influence the launch.

You cannot be serious. 100 years is not enough time to coordinate the release of a 100th anniversary product? What is suspicious about celebrating 100 years of products with a 100th anniversary product? That is not the way that the Marketing Department looks at things, I promise you.
Carl

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 21:15:39 »
I couldn't agree more with Illka: July 25th happens just to be Nikon's 100th anniversary; nothing more. (Crossed Carl's comment  :-\)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 21:25:55 »

+1

The same sort of teasing came before the release of the Df. There will be more teasing on the anniversary I'm sure. It's time to hurry up and wait.

I'm sure Nikon has a target date. It's not going to be fixed. It's more likely to be reset later than earlier. Rushing it for the 100th Anniversary date would be foolish. Nikon might hold a release a week or so to meet a specific date. Rushing it a week or so might invite serious problems. It's time to hurry up and wait.

So development takes its own time and release is when everything is ready. Write your letters to Santa now...

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 21:30:33 »
I couldn't agree more with Illka: July 25th happens just to be Nikon's 100th anniversary; nothing more. (Crossed Carl's comment  :-\)

So the 100th anniversary is just a "keep moving, folks, nothing to see here" non-event? We will have to agree to disagree about that. Particularly in a shrinking market, any reason to blow your own horn attracts attention, which in turn attracts consumers. Staying silent when you have a legitimate reason to create traffic to your brand is exactly the wrong move. 

The three basic rules for success in business are "Early to bed, early to rise, work like Hell, and advertise!".  ;)
Carl