Author Topic: Nikon Df compability  (Read 4828 times)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Nikon Df compability
« on: May 26, 2017, 20:23:43 »
I just found that the Df is compatible with my Nikon F bellow type 1! 2, the first for F.
Well mounting is not easy, but the Df house can move in over the rails.
Now my old slide copying adapter will do good again :)

Thomas G

• NG Member
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
Re: Nikon Df compability
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 21:37:12 »
Nice. I own a few slide boxes from the time who wait for digitalization....
-/-/-

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 23:09:15 »
Me to, now it will be easier, and faster than the scanner :)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 18:42:04 »
I use a Nikon PB-4 bellows unit for the same purpose.

Actually the Df is much easier than some of the other Nikon DSLRs to attach to a bellows unit on account of its streamlined handgrip.
Hugh Gunn

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 21:49:56 »
An excellent method for finding dust on a negative or slide is to use a small spot light. Tip the negative or slide at an acute angle and most of the dust kind of glows. This is done in a dark environment like a darkroom but turning light of at night will work fine in any room. If you can see the dust you can remove it. I used this method in my darkroom for years.

At first I use light from the enlarger but it's easier to have a spotlight on the dry side of the darkroom. I've seen a small spot light in some famous photographers darkroom. I think the method is found by accident by using the light from the enlarger for inspection so many photographers probable discover the method.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 08:24:39 »
Thanks David for the information on dust renoval :)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 13:44:59 »
Got a heads up from my Df seller, that not all lenses are compatible.
In the manual it states that 3,5cm f2.8( 35mm f2.8 )with numbers lover than 928000 is not compatible.
But nearly all 35mm f2.8 has lower numbers except the first batch marked 3.5cm.
I guess that it is this batch they refer to ;)
Have any of you had issues?

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 14:06:07 »
I believe we saw it in one lens, it's an extra high protrusion on the rear light baffle, just trim it a little and it clears.

Very nice set BTW! ;)
Erik Lund

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 22:36:28 »
In the manual it states that 3,5cm f2.8( 35mm f2.8 )with numbers lover than 928000 is not compatible.
That probably refers to the original Nikkor-S 3.5cm 1:2.8 lenses (serial numbers 920101 to a highest recorded 927516).

Besides the high rear light baffle, early 3.5cm lenses up to about 9235xx also have a "long skirt" aperture ring, which overhangs the lens mount more than later lenses. These lenses will also not fit the Df as far as I know.

The Nikkor-S 35mm 1:2.8 (note focal length now marked in mm) is a different lens, with serial numbers 231011 - 392610. These have a similarly high rear baffle as the 3.5cm version, so you may need to take care when used on the Df and if necessary trim it a little.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 20:50:14 »
I have a problem getting the exposure right when using my 28/3.5 PC lens on the Df.
According to the manual the rear control should be used to set the display to the aperture value set on the lens, but this does not work correctly. When using the lens on the my D800 or D500 I just set the non CPU lens value to 3.5, and when taking pictures I just move the the aperture to the the desired value, the exposure gets correct regardless of which value used. On the Df when following the manual the pictures get under exposed. I did try to set it to Ai coupling, but that does not change anything.
I hope some have some experience to share on this, as I would like to use the lens on the Df.
Br Bent

jpgrahn

• NG Member
  • -
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 21:32:56 »
I have a problem getting the exposure right when using my 28/3.5 PC lens on the Df.
According to the manual the rear control should be used to set the display to the aperture value set on the lens, but this does not work correctly. When using the lens on the my D800 or D500 I just set the non CPU lens value to 3.5, and when taking pictures I just move the the aperture to the the desired value, the exposure gets correct regardless of which value used. On the Df when following the manual the pictures get under exposed. I did try to set it to Ai coupling, but that does not change anything.
I hope some have some experience to share on this, as I would like to use the lens on the Df.
Br Bent

I hope I understand your question correctly. I don't have a Df but I have had the lens. PC-lenses can't communicate anything to the camera and the camera can't set the aperture. It is completely manual. Just set the desired aperture on the lens and use the "other" aperture ring to open up the lens for focusing and then just turn it back to set the aperture before taking the picture.
Johan Grahn

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 21:48:54 »
After trying once more on the D800, I did set the the lens as an Ai lens on the Df,  and it  did now work as expected, I must have been in concentrated during the previous test.
The problem in the lens is the missing link to the aperture. So yes jpgrahn you are right regarding the operation of the lens.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 23:43:09 »
Yes that's right. It's only when you are using lenses with aperture coupling and NO meter coupling, that you need to dial in the lens aperture manually to get accurate metering. This includes most pre-AI lenses and some of the early super-telephotos.

When a lens has no aperture or meter coupling, you can use pure stop-down metering - set the aperture ring as desired, the lens is already at the stopped down aperture, the camera meter reads the incoming light and adjusts the shutter speed/ISO accordingly.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 23:58:59 »
Yes that's right. It's only when you are using lenses with aperture coupling and NO meter coupling, that you need to dial in the lens aperture manually to get accurate metering. This includes most pre-AI lenses and some of the early super-telephotos.

When a lens has no aperture or meter coupling, you can use pure stop-down metering - set the aperture ring as desired, the lens is already at the stopped down aperture, the camera meter reads the incoming light and adjusts the shutter speed/ISO accordingly.
What fooled me was the extra possibly on the Df the set the no Ai coupling, this is not possible on other Nikon cameras  ???