Author Topic: A different combo for macro!  (Read 2008 times)

Gigas

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
A different combo for macro!
« on: July 07, 2017, 22:28:28 »
I am engaged in aquarium photography of small colourful shrimp measuring between 10-20mm in length. With a new camera, the D810, I have tried some slightly different options. One set consists of Nikkor 105mm 4.0 AiS with a K3 ring and an P-Nikkor 105mm 4.0 for bellows, two classics in other words. That solution is quite sharp and the viewfinder is bright so the focus is easy to adjust. The picture of the green shrimp is taken with this combination. ISO 64, 250 / sec. Aperture 16. A working distance of approx. 10cm.

The next picture of the red shrimp in the moss is taken with Zeiss 135mm 2.0 which has a close-up of 80cm. But using a polaroid close-up lens, Polaroid 250D, the same as Canon's equivalent, and some cropping. The depth of field is always a problem. ISO 64 320 / sec. Aperture 16. Both images taken with two studio flashes. A really crisp macro of 90-100mm would be nice to try!

flic.kr/p/Ww3wq8

flic.kr/p/Wdq4vh

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: A different combo for macro!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 22:54:32 »
The shots are beautifully detailed within the zone of focus. I guess the next step would be to try to eliminate or 'tone down' the backgrounds where they distract from the subjects.  That black shrimp is a challenge!
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 23:44:32 »
The shots are beautifully detailed within the zone of focus. I guess the next step would be to try to eliminate or 'tone down' the backgrounds where they distract from the subjects.  That black shrimp is a challenge!

+1!
Carl

Gigas

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 14:47:14 »

To get the backdrop softer and less distracting is not easy. To get a little bit of DOF I really need the f22 or maybe to back down and crop more!

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 19:47:50 »
I was not thinking softer, but darker.  In other words, to control the light off of the bright and sometimes very colorful backgrounds.  I have no experience in underwater lighting.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 22:46:58 »

_DSC2152KK by Peder Lundgren, on Flickr

The second  one in the last post is really nice, no complaints about the background. Perhaps you would like to make them show up directly here?
 I made an attempt for you above using bbc codes; those familiar with flickr might give better guidance. You can still get to the bigger version on the flickr page by clicking the image.

Øivind Tøien

Gigas

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 08:01:15 »
Thank you Øivind!