Author Topic: Some walkaround shots from South Padre Island - Nikon 28-105/D700  (Read 1363 times)

paullgj

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Here in South Texas, we just passed the summer solstice, the winds have died down, the Gulf has taken on a Caribbean turquoise hue, and tropical thunderstorms have formed over the waters.  Gone are the hazy skies and blazing sun - at least for a few days.  These shots are from South Padre Island, Texas and the associated Laguna Madre with a D700 and 28-105 lens with polarizer, processed with ACR.  Question - is it time to consider an updated mid-range zoom - 24-85, 24-120, or a used 24-70?  I have recently added a new 18-35 and a used 70-200 f4, so maybe time for a mid-range.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
I'd recommend a used 24-70 if you can live with the size & weight. Performance of the 24-85 VR is so-so; 24-120/4 VR is better but it's another slow lens. The 24-70 has lightning fast AF, useful for event shooting.
Airy Magnien

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Oh, how I would love to take a dip into the Caribbean :)
You have a wide zoom and a tele zoom. I don't see a need to cover the middle part between 35-70mm. If so, why not get yourself a 50/1.8?
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
The first image is spectacular!  Thanks for sharing.

As for the lens, I would second Jakov in this case.  AF-S 50/1.8G is affordable, sharp and flare/ghost resistant.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Really like image #1

I have the 24-85VR, very useful when traveling, VR works wonder, certainly no the sharpest wide open, and has distortion but it is easily corrected

I'm currently traveling and I also brought the 50mm f1.8G,  given your zooms it does make sense
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
A 50mm f/1.8D is even lighter and much less expensive than its newer brother the 50mm f/1.8G and is almost as good if using a D700 or similar camera that still supports screwdriver AF lenses; else go for the 1.8G.  Either of these two splendid lenses should be in your bag anyway.

I have the old 24-70mm Mk1 and the latest 24-120mm f/4.0.  The old 24-70mm is lightning fast and is a very good if somewhat heavy lens.  The 24-120mm is not a bad one-lens solution for travelling, and it has more reach than the 24-70mm.

I'd recommend a used 24-70 if you can live with the size & weight. Performance of the 24-85 VR is so-so; 24-120/4 VR is better but it's another slow lens. The 24-70 has lightning fast AF, useful for event shooting.
Hugh Gunn

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Personally I'm not big fan of the large sizes and heavy weight of any FX standard zooms, but Ron (the NG member Ron Scubadiver) posts fine images taken with the 24-120.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira